Would you spend the extra on 2660 vs 2360?

/ Would you spend the extra on 2660 vs 2360? #1  

newdeal

Silver Member
So I got some prices on the 2660 and 2360 kubotas with loader and 60" deck. Both are brand new, the 2660 is $850 more than the 2360. I asked the dealer if there was any way I would be able to tell the differance just driving them around day to day and he said no. Mostly it will be used as a mower with occasional bucket work and tilling of a relatively small garden. Not sure if there are other differances between the two other than power or if for my uses the 2360 will be more than adequate. Some of the areas I will be mowing are quite thick heavy grass so I am guessing the 2660 would bog out less on that. Also I know the 2660 seems to have a nicer seat. The 1860 is nice too but he said it would only hold the 54" deck and I wanted the 60"

/ Would you spend the extra on 2660 vs 2360? #2  
So I got some prices on the 2660 and 2360 kubotas with loader and 60" deck. Both are brand new, the 2660 is $850 more than the 2360. I asked the dealer if there was any way I would be able to tell the differance just driving them around day to day and he said no. Mostly it will be used as a mower with occasional bucket work and tilling of a relatively small garden. Not sure if there are other differances between the two other than power or if for my uses the 2360 will be more than adequate. Some of the areas I will be mowing are quite thick heavy grass so I am guessing the 2660 would bog out less on that. Also I know the 2660 seems to have a nicer seat. The 1860 is nice too but he said it would only hold the 54" deck and I wanted the 60"
I did...... but....the reason I did is because I was trading in a BX2350 because of my perceived issues with it. I felt I needed to spend more money with this trade to make it happen better for all parties involved. It may not have been necessary but I still did it. If the grass isn't over 4' higher:) than your tractor, neither one of them will bog down. For what you've described, unless the seat is worth the extra $850, get the BX2360. Now, I'm not going to say there isn't a "feeling" when you press down the pedal up a steep hill that's different with the BX2660 vs the BX2350 and if you have one you probably know what I'm talking about and if you don't it doesn't matter. Get the BX2350 and use the $850 for a RatchetRake, Boxblade and Quick hitch. Most of us start out just going to mow and use the FEL as a high priced wheel barrow but when you find out what these little suckers will do you'll see what I'm talking about.:D

/ Would you spend the extra on 2660 vs 2360? #3  
It was for me, but I have back problems and am a little long in the tooth.

From what you describe, you would not notice a difference in power between the two, but I come from the "there is no such thing as too much power" and I often push mine to the limit.

/ Would you spend the extra on 2660 vs 2360? #4  
Unlike some of the competition, the BX2660 gets it's extra power from a slightly larger engine. If, and I doubt it is true, you could also do more work at lower rpm as you can with the larger B's I would go ahead with the purchase. If not, I would look hard at what implements I could buy for the price difference, or put that money towards. Do you want a collection system at some point perhaps? A nice landscape rake, or 3pt spreader?

/ Would you spend the extra on 2660 vs 2360? #5  
If you are making the step up from a garden tractor type of machine - you know... 42-54" mower, 18-25 hp gas engine, etc. - you will quickly realize these units are in a whole other league for mowing. Either of them, or the comparable models of other brands, I expect, are virtually unfazed by ordinary mowing chores. The engine rpm basically never bogs in even the heaviest grass. The tractor effortlessly cuts more grass than can be physically ejected out of the discharge. So, you really don't need the extra ponies for mowing.

I'm sure there are some tasks where another 10-15% power would be useful, but I've not seen one with my BX2230. Maybe running a tiller would benefit from more power, depending on the soil.

/ Would you spend the extra on 2660 vs 2360? #6  
I'm in the exact same dilemna (if you can really consider it a dilemna) on whether or not to save a few bucks with the 2360 and get a few attachments. I've accomplished the hard part (convincing my wife at the expense of a new elliptical) but now wondering what attachments I really should get.

I have read alot on the box scraper but can you accomplish similar ground clearing/leveling with a tiller and the FEL?

/ Would you spend the extra on 2660 vs 2360? #7  
I'm in the exact same dilemna (if you can really consider it a dilemna) on whether or not to save a few bucks with the 2360 and get a few attachments. I've accomplished the hard part (convincing my wife at the expense of a new elliptical) but now wondering what attachments I really should get.

I have read alot on the box scraper but can you accomplish similar ground clearing/leveling with a tiller and the FEL?

Yes, you can with time. Without position control, a box scraper can be a little tricky for the beginner. In addition to "box blade" stuff however, I use mine for counter weight. I personally don't know how, but some live a perfectly normal life without one.

You will need some type of counter weight whether home made or purchased.

/ Would you spend the extra on 2660 vs 2360? #8  

As TripleR says, you can do it with FEL and tiller in time. I also agree/believe a boxblade is one of the first implements to buy for people wanting to do more than just mow. With a FEL counter weight is needed in the rear and a Boxblade will accomplish that and is also a very usable implement for ground sculpting, ditching, etc... A tiller will do it but is very time consuming and I believe more costly if it's utilized to the extent of wearing out tines and other repairs. Boxblades are tanks or right brands are and are almost indestructible.
Everything Attachments - Skid Steer Attachments, Tractor Attachments, 3 Point Hitch Attachments, Farm Tractor Implements.
This is a fantastic training site, they also sell stuff. It should be required watching for all tractor owners, new and old. I love watching it.

/ Would you spend the extra on 2660 vs 2360? #9  

Agree with what others have said about the box blade as a first implement. Good counterweight and very useful clearing/leveling/grading tool. No moving parts to break, besides the ripper teeth, which can be replaced. Good bang for the buck, as they say.

Downside is it takes some practice getting the adjustments right and using the 3pt lift on a BX. Here's a suggestion for Kubota... next time you introduce a premium model in the BX lineup, how 'bout giving it position control instead of more hp? These things already have all the hp they need, but position control would be a leap ahead. That would probably get me back in the market to replace my current BX more than hp and an upgraded seat, probably lots of others as well.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but couldn't let that thought go without mentioning it.

/ Would you spend the extra on 2660 vs 2360? #10  
Newdeal,

I still consider myself "challenged" when it comes to all things tractor. So take what I say with a grain of salt...

I have a BX2660 and LOVE it. However, on the surface it sounds like the 2360 would more than meet your needs.

When you say you're using it mostly for mowing, are you mowing 1 acre, or 6 acres? The difference in time required between the 54" and 60" decks would pay off at some point, if you have lots of mowing.

The difference in seats isn't worth $800 to me, but I don't use my tractor for mowing. If I were going to spend two or thee hours a week mowing over ten years, I might give it a little more weight.

Also, the debate continues, but I'm also a big believer in the box blade. I am still very much the novice, but BB work has a fast learning curve. Love it.

One of the big reasons I went with the 2660's extra power is that we have hilly terrain and I new there'd be plenty of times I'd be going up and down, clearing trails, hauling logs, etc. As a matter of fact, these pics show what I was doing yesterday...

I can vouch for the 2660 being more than a match for anything I've thrown at it...BB work, brush cutting stuff that was way taller than the tractor, FEL work (which I knew I would do, but was surprised by just HOW MUCH FEL work I've come up with). Not trying to sell you on a 2660, just the reasons I chose one.

One other thing that helped push me to the 2660 was that some of the lower numbered BX's had a problem with "abrupt stopping". Kind of annoying. I did test drive a smaller BX at the time that had that problem. Don't know if that problem has been addressed by Kubota, yet.

Attachments

• 100_2870.jpg
    100_2870.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 248
  • 100_2874.jpg
    100_2874.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 210