Downsizing from L4630 to B3030

/ Downsizing from L4630 to B3030 #1  

Boondox

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4044R cab, Kubota KX-121-3S
Years ago I started out with a BCS 2-wheeled walk behind, then moved up to a Kubota B1750, then an L3010, then an L4630 which has been an awesome piece of machinery. But over the years I've managed to accomplish most of the big land sculpting projects on my plate, and the 4630 has been overkill for the maintenance tasks. Well, plus I have a Kubota KX121-3S mini-excavator with which I've done positively sinful things to beautify my acreage.

It reached the point where I had to admit a smaller tractor made more sense. So the 4630, 84" rear blade, Farmi winch, and skidsteer forks are being traded for a B3030 hydro, 60" bucket, Wallenstein winch, ice spikes and 72" rear blade. I'm also going with R4 tires for the first time. All my previous tractors had Aggies, but the tractor hasn't seen mud since I got the mini-ex, which can literally claw its way out of just about anything.

The change takes place this Thursday. My wife, who was intimidated by the 4630 and never helped with projects because of it, is looking forward to a machine small enough to muck the sheep stalls, and light enough not to carve trenches in the meadow.

Will share my downsizing experience when the shock wears off! ;)

Pete

Last edited:
   / Downsizing from L4630 to B3030 #2  
I've followed your posts over the years, Pete, and they served as inspiration sometimes for what I've been trying to do with our humble patch of ground. Thanks for that.

I guess it's a milestone of sorts for you to be done with the work that calls for something like that L4630. How many hours did it take on her to get to that point?

/ Downsizing from L4630 to B3030
Thanks, Hank :eek:

I never really kept track of the hours. The cumulative total on all the orange things was about 1600 hours, but a lot of that was just mowing, brushhogging, or moving snow. Lots of snow. The excavator made things happen a LOT faster, and with the tractor relegated to cleanup duties it was time to downsize.

The smaller tractor with winch is plenty big enough to drag trees home for firewood. I figured out a couple of years ago that trees three feet across were just too much effort to process, as each hunk had to be lifted onto the splitter to render it into pieces small enough for the wood stove.

The remaining big projects, like finishing lining the pond with boulders the size of sofas, will require the excavator. And since getting back into motorcycling much of my saddle time is spent on the Beemer instead of the Bota.

Pete

/ Downsizing from L4630 to B3030 #4  
Nothing like having the right equipment at the right time.

As I have often seen on here, "sometimes bigger is not better, just bigger."

/ Downsizing from L4630 to B3030 #5  
I've ratcheted up in size before and at my current state of landscaping I've ratcheted back down. It makes sense to get the size you'll use rather than have one sit because it's the wrong size. I always smile at the bigger is better posters.:) Define the jobs and then find the machine. I hate having a machine just sit because it's over sized and feel the same about under sized.

/ Downsizing from L4630 to B3030 #6  
By owing past B's you already have heads up,plus by the sounds Mrs. feels more comfortable...just couple extra passes/trips thats all. ;)

/ Downsizing from L4630 to B3030 #7  
Just throwing a thought out there...what about adding a backhoe on the new b3030 and also sell the mini? Then everything with the one tractor? Less maintenance, etc.

/ Downsizing from L4630 to B3030 #8  
I want to come watch while he lines his pond with bolders using a B series backhoe....... Guess you missed that part. :D

/ Downsizing from L4630 to B3030 #9  
Opps! You're right. Keep the mini for a while more...

/ Downsizing from L4630 to B3030
Dave,

I had a backhoe on the 3010 and actually traded up to the 4630 so I could get a bigger backhoe. Then a friend let me borrow his Kx71 mini and any thoughts I had about owning a backhoe again went right out the window! That's why I own the KX121 now, and I probably use it 3x more than the tractor for the sheer fun of it.

I've been out walking the dogs in our woods and stumbled on a perfect boulder, run home for the mini ex, and come back to pick up and carry the boulder back to the pond. When cutting up firewood, no more bending over for me. I just pick up the entire tree and put it waist high, then use the chainsaw to cut it into stove length rounds. And if some of those huge chunks of maple or oak weigh too much to lift onto the splitter, the bucket and thumb let me pick it up effortlessly and place it on the splitter cradle.

Once, when a tourist parked in front of my gate three days in a row, I simply dug a trench around his car to encourage him to see the error of his ways. I really love the trackhoe! :D