BX mixing turf + ag tires?

/ BX mixing turf + ag tires? #1  

Frank

Tractor
BX 22 trade-up from 2200
I'm considering buying a Bx1800 with loader and 54" deck. I would prefer the ag tires over turf for traction when using the loader, especially in the winter (I understand the concerns some have about using a loader for snow removal - but I've got a short driveway, only 90'). When I test drove one yesterday, it really seemed like the front ag tires would likely tear up my lawn when mowing. The dealer said "why not buy the unit with ag tires, and we'll sell you a set of front turf tires w/rims for another $100". He said he didn't see any problem using turf on the front and ag on the back. Both turf and ag front tires are rated 18" - but does anyone know if there is in fact any difference in circumference that might cause a transmission problem in 4WD? Second question: the dealer said the ag tires where "turf-bar" tires. Anyone know if that is the correct classification? Thanks

/ BX mixing turf + ag tires? #2  
I would only use front/rear tire combinations specified by Kubota for the tractor. Mixing Ag rears and turf fronts could be done, but you would need to very carefully research the circumference of the front tires to be sure it won't bind in 4WD.

Here are the tire conbinations that I'm familiar with from by B2400:

Ag tires: Ag front, ag rears

Turf tires: Turf front, turf rear

R4 or Industrial tires: R4 front, R4 rears

Turf/Bar tires: Turf/bar rears, turf fronts

NOTE: The turf front tires are different sizes when used with rear turf or rear turf/bar since the rear tires are different sizes. Also, Ag tires are not the same thing as turf/bar tires. Ags are narrower where turf/bar are more balloon-like for flotation, but have ag-like bars (not as deep) for traction.

The brochures usually have pictures of machines with the different combinations, but they are not labeled or called out.

If your dealer is suggesting turf/bar, I highly recommend them for home/yard use. They offer the flotation of turf tires but the extra bite needed in the snow and for rougher work.

/ BX mixing turf + ag tires? #3  
Frank, if the bar turfs are the same size as the turfs, which I think is the case for the BX, I dont see why you couldn't put bar turfs on the rear and turfs on the front. If the circumference ratio is correct, I don't think that the differing tread patterns would affect 4wd. As Hayden notes, the 2410 is sold with bar turfs on the rear and turfs on the front. Consult your dealer and directly with Kubota to verify.

I had bar turfs on my BX. It would scuff the lawn if I was going to fast in a sharp turn, as when cutting around trees. I could control it by going slow in the turns. You will also scuff less with any tractor if you take off the loader, which is sort of anti-BXian since it so conveniently small even with the loader. Also, dont mow in 4wd, at least when turning.

Glenn

/ BX mixing turf + ag tires?
Glenn and Hayden,
Thanks to both of you for the helpful info. I'm going back out to the dealer in a couple of days and I'll take some measurements. I'll post what I find out. - Frank

/ BX mixing turf + ag tires? #5  
I have the R4 Industrial tires on my b7500. I use a 60'' Belly mower to cut my lawn and have not had any problems with the tires cutting into the lawn.They have good traction when you need it too.