Welded bucket hooks or those from BXpanded

/ Welded bucket hooks or those from BXpanded #11  
For a BX I wouldn't worry about it but for a larger machine there are some simple steps that should be followed before welding on a hook. Depending on the type of steel preheating and the correct type of rod or wire. I've seen several that have snapped off, either the hook snaps or the weld doesn't bite deep enough.

Another option would be to weld the hook onto a flat plate of steel and bolt that to the bucket (and maybe another flat plate on the inside to beef it up). That way you wouldn't need to bring the bucket to somebody and if one broke or you found that you would like to have a slip over a grab hook you could easily change it.

/ Welded bucket hooks or those from BXpanded #13  
I have the BXpanded forks for my BX24. I wanted to get a set of hooks as well but I'm, uh, cheap and I thought the price for the hooks was a little high. I made up a pair of hooks that fit in the BXpanded fork brackets so I get all the advantages of easy adjustment/on/off without buying another set of basically the same bracket. I probably have pictures somewhere if anyone is interested.
Matt.

/ Welded bucket hooks or those from BXpanded #14  
I've never added extra plates. It's just welded to top center of bucket. I've picked up a Landpride 6' RFM with mine and no problem. Course couldn't get it high enough to setit on the trailer. Going to attach tiller and try again.

Barlows has them out front of the counter in a box.:) TSC or about anu tractor dealer should have them.

Got Landpride 6'RFM on trailer today. Had lifted it with hook on center of BX2660 bucket but lifted tractor off ground in rear. Today I picked it almost off the ground with center hook on BX25. With BH on back kept the rear of tractor on the ground. One wheel was skimming ground because tractor wouldn't totally lift it but hook held. I use the like 30000 lbs straps I bought off ebay for my lifting.

/ Welded bucket hooks or those from BXpanded #15  
I have a B26 and welding four hooks, two to the front bucket and two to the backhoe bucket. I bought the four hooks from TrucknTow.

I used 3/16" thick, 2 3/4" wide and 6 " long flat steel to weld the hooks to. I also drilled two 3/4" holes in each plate to plug-weld the plates to the bucket.

I first used a grinder to bevel the edges of the plates and to clean the bucket area where the plates would go. Once both the plates and bucket were shiny I again used 6013 rod to weld along the edges of the plate. I also plug-welded the plates so all the force wouldn't be just supported by the bead along the edges of the plates.

I welded the hooks directly to the backhoe bucket (and about in line with the cylinder attachment) as its made out of thicker steel than the front bucket. A bit of spray paint and it came out really well. Sorry no pics though.