First time tractor buyer

/ First time tractor buyer #1  

mhart

Silver Member
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your input.

This will be my first tractor buying experience. Please excuse if some of my questions have been answered in other posts.

I have decided to get a kubota and like some others on here, am trying to decide between a bx2660 and b2620 model

I have 16 acres that are mostly wooded. Two acres of flat grass that will need mowing. I also have a 1/3 mile gravel driveway with some moderate elevation changes and curves that will need routine care. I plan to get a box blade and FEL to help with this task. Some banks along driveway (not too steep) will need occasional bushhogging.

My biggest questions are: will the bx be able to handle the driveway well enough. Will I be able to use the box blade effectively and carry enough gravel with the FEL. Is the ground clearance an issue?

If I choose the b, can you maneuvre well enough to mow with a MMM?

90% of the time I will be mowing or doing some light bushhog work. I just am not sure if the bx will be enough for my driveway needs.

Thanks again for any input

/ First time tractor buyer #2  
Welcome to TBN! I moved your thread into the Kubota Buying/Pricing so you can get some more feedback!

/ First time tractor buyer #3  
Welcome to TBN. I'll take a stab at this; others will surely have more advice also.

I have a 700 ft. gravel driveway and a 1700 ft. gravel road to maintain. They are very different, and require different size equipment to work on them. The driveway is narrower, has less foundation material beneath it, and gets very little traffic. My BX with a 4ft. box blade does a great job maintaining it.

The road is 14-16 ft. wide, has been in place for almost 100 years and has quite a foundation of sandrock, gravel and rocks built up over the years, that are packed as hard as brick most of the time. It has a fair amount of traffic and gets the usual potholes you might expect. It absolutely takes a bigger tractor and box blade to handle it (Grand L and 6 ft box, in my situation).

So, maybe that gives you a frame of reference. If your driveway is like my "driveway", the BX is all you'll need. If your situation is more like my "road", you need to be looking at something quite a bit more substantial, or maybe you are somewhere in between, and can choose accordingly.

/ First time tractor buyer #4  
Thought BP Fick, JOHNTHOMAS and I already answered this.

I love my BX2660 and it was the right tractor for me, but I believe the B will work better for your needs based on ground clearance and stronger FEL as well as little smoother ride.

/ First time tractor buyer #5  
You'll be happier with the bigger machine when using the fel and when box blading. But when you're on a bank, you may wish for more stability and I believe the bx would be superior. Now, to really keep you off balance: Buy the B2620 without the mid mount mower and buy a cheap "big box store" garden tractor for the lawn. Bush hog, grade and fel to the max with your big rig and then, hop off and mow with your GT. No taking off the belly deck ever.