L3010 HST Purchase

/ L3010 HST Purchase #1  

Anonymous Poster

I think I am going to purchase an L3010 HST with FEL and 72" mid-mount mower and turf tires but I still have one question. If I plan on adding additional work lights do I need to buy a larger alternator or is the standard alternator large enough?

/ L3010 HST Purchase #2  
Kevin, I can't say for sure and don't know just how much more lighting you want to add, but the B2710/B2910 has a wire, 10 amp fuse, etc. to add optional work lights. Unless you intend to add a lot of wattage/amperage draw, the standard alternator is probably quite adequate.

Bird

/ L3010 HST Purchase #3  
Hi Kevin,

You should be fine. I ran two sets of work lights on my old B2150 which doesn't even have a real alternator for six years with no effect on the original battery. Two 55 watt ROPS and one rear work.

I now have 2 wide fogs 55W each on the grill guard and 2 55W driving lights on my ROPS and a rear work light on my L3010HST. All wired individually and direct fused to the battery. No problems at all. I usually just use the fogs and headlights and rear light. ROPS lights I use just for loader work or to illuminate the cab area or if the loader is off and I need some extra light.

Fogs on the grill guard are connected via quick plugs so I can take the loader off and just disconnect the wire harness for the lights.

/ L3010 HST Purchase #4  
I'm about to buy an L3710 and when I asked my dealer about more lights, he said he had a tried-and-true setup he could install for $175 with two front facing lights and one rear facing, attached to the ROPS. He didn't mention anything about needing a bigger alternator so I'm betting you'll be fine. I'm thinking about having him install this setup since $175 doesn't seem to bad. Anyone else got any thoughts?

/ L3010 HST Purchase #5  
$175 sounds OK if you consider your time too. Though it was kindof nice to have a reason to go to the barn and commune with the Bota and learn some things about the tractor while wiring the lights up too.

One thing though is I hate the forward lights on the ROPS for most general use because they shine over you and glare. Especially if you wear glasses like I do. If you're mowing they are a pain and attract bugs to where your head is at. I used my ROPS lights last night digging up bushes and doing a ripout for a landscaping project and they were nice for that since it lit the whole area. If you do ROPS lights just keep that in mind for the times you bushhog and stuff.
That's why I put a set up on the grill guard too. Loads of light up front but dark and peaceful in the operating area. I like having the choice of lights for whatever work situation I have.

Brad, Kubota L3010HST, loader, R4 tires
Pictures(but not up to date) at http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=179207&a=9183978

/ L3010 HST Purchase #6  
tjb, that $175 might not be too much for parts, labor, and material, but I bought a Trazezoidal light (Northern Tool, Item #16346-C151) and put it on the front of my canopy and a Flood light (Item #163463-C151) and put it on the rear of the canopy. Those lights cost $14.99 each plus tax and I had a toggle switch, wire, and connectors on hand, so I don't know how much total I spent, but it was less than $50. I sure wish I knew where I could get a job installing 3 lights, switches, wiring, etc. on tractors for $175.

Bird