CAB-is rear defrost worth it?

/ CAB-is rear defrost worth it? #1  

diggdug

Tractor
L5030 HSD
Pricing out a new 5740 and cant decide if the side and rear defrost is worth paying extra for on the cab. I will be using it in the snow but my guess is that the heat from the heater will keep the ice off the windows. Anyone here have an educated opinion? Is the rear defrost the little wires like on a car window, or do they actually have forced-air vents? Thanks!

/ CAB-is rear defrost worth it? #2  
The rear defrost is the foil looking stuff like in cars. I can't say I've missed having the rear defrost, but if I were ordering new tomorrow I'd probably get it...... it can only be better than not having it. Look deeper into whats included, as part of the cost may be a larger alternator. On my 3030 the cost of the rear defrost option includes a jump from a 40 amp to a 60 amp alternator....... which makes the option a bargain, especially if you ever want to add work lights, etc.

/ CAB-is rear defrost worth it? #3  
A good fan or two will move the air around and keep the rear defrosted.
At least that's what works for me on my home made cab.

/ CAB-is rear defrost worth it? #4  
If I were spending the kind of cash you're talking about, it would be a no-brainer...get it! It will only add to the safety and comfort. (Oh, and maintenance.)

/ CAB-is rear defrost worth it? #5  
Pricing out a new 5740 and cant decide if the side and rear defrost is worth paying extra for on the cab. I will be using it in the snow but my guess is that the heat from the heater will keep the ice off the windows. Anyone here have an educated opinion? Is the rear defrost the little wires like on a car window, or do they actually have forced-air vents? Thanks!

The defroster is a must have option as the windows will want to fog up from the heat in the cabin wanting to migrate to the cold windows at all times and the moisture you are exhaling in your breath as well as the condensation created by the heat given off by the tractor in total.

As you are ordering, and not buying off the lot you should look at the Laurin eclipse cab offered by the Laurin Mfg. folks in Quebec for the M5740
as they have tractor specifc cabin designs and they have been building them for many years.

The Laurin cabins are of very high quality with regard to their design and construction. The air conditioning units for the small tractor/BX model Laurin cabs are surface mounted units for the smaller tractors and I believe they are the Coleman air conditioners that are self contained and not part of the cabin itself which aids in sealing and cooling creating a pressurised chilled cabin denying the exhaust fumes the possibility of entry

With no disrespect intended towards the Kubota dealer/advertisers here on the forum there are lot of threads about the problems B3030 owners have found with the Kubota cabs on the B3030 tractors from the fumes coming through the floor due to bad sealing and poor air flow and poor air conditioning issues due to he poor design in the roof inlet for the air system for both fresh air and chilled air here in the Kubota furum.

One of the three Laurin Eclipse cab heater options is a pressurised heater creating 36,000 BTU with a three speed fan that creates positive pressure in the cabin which keeps the fumes and dust out while operating and has a defroster fans in the roof vents from what I remember.

The air conditoning compressor is mounted on the engine frame with a standard mounting bracket for the B3030 and the BX models

I do not know who builds the Kubota cabs or if they are the basic EL or ES model Laurin cabs offered as standard equipment

I have seen pictures of the BX models with independent air conditioning units on the roof of the BX tractor cabs.

Its a creature comfort thing where the better the heating and cooling and defrosting with a pressurised system eliminates fumes and dust entering in the cabin of the tractor with the like anything else you buy a good tool only once(unless it get stolen) whoopsy.

If you are buying a tractor with a cabin you are obviously going to spend a lot of time in it working the the year round and a pressurised heating and cooling system will make the job easier with much less fatigue/being tired etgc.

leon

Last edited:
   / CAB-is rear defrost worth it? #6  
I'd get it...In my cab, I can keep the windshield, and the doors (with the vents placed correctly) clear..The back window wants to fog no matter what. Should be standard, in my opinion.

/ CAB-is rear defrost worth it? #7  
The defroster is a must have option as the windows will want to fog up from the heat in the cabin wanting to migrate to the cold windows at all times and the moisture you are exhaling in your breath as well as the condensation created by the heat given off by the tractor in total.

As you are ordering, and not buying off the lot you should look at the Laurin eclipse cab offered by the Laurin Mfg. folks in Quebec for the M5740
as they have tractor specifc cabin designs and they have been building them for many years.

The Laurin cabins are of very high quality with regard to their design and construction. The air conditioning units for the small tractor/BX model Laurin cabs are surface mounted units for the smaller tractors and I believe they are the coleman air conditioners that are self contained and not part of the cabin itself which aids in sealing and cooling creating a pressurised chilled cabin denying the exhaust fumes the possibility of entry

With no disrespect intended towards the Kubota dealer/advertisers here on the forum there are lot of threads about the problems B3030 owners have found with the Kubota cabs on the B3030 tractors from the fumes coming through the floor due to bad sealing and poor air flow and poor air conditioning issues due to he poor design in the roof inlet for the air system for both fresh air and chilled air here in the Kubota furum.

One of the three Laurin Eclipse cab heater options is a pressurised heater creating 36,000 BTU with a three speed fan that creates positive pressure in the cabin which keeps the fumes and dust out while operating and has a defroster fans in the roof vents from what I remember.

The air conditoning compressor is mounted on the engine frame with a standard mounting bracket for the B3030 and the BX models

I do not know who builds the Kubota cabs or if they are the basic EL or ES model Laurin cabs offered as standard equipment

I have seen pictures of the BX models with independent air conditioning units on the roof of the BX tractor cabs.

Its a creature comfort thing where the better the heating and cooling and defrosting with a pressurised system eliminates fumes and dust entering in the cabin of the tractor with the like anything else you buy a good tool only once(unless it get stolen) whoopsy.

If you are buying a tractor with a cabin you are obviously going to spend a lot of time in it working the the year round
and a pressurised heating and cooling system will make the job easier with much less fatigue/being tired etgc.

leon
Good info and a good read. Thank you.

/ CAB-is rear defrost worth it? #8  
My B3030 only has the defrost grid on the rear window, a lot of the time I don't need it but sometimes if I didn't have it I would have to open the rear window to see what is behind me. Kind of defeats the purpose of the cab.
I find the worst time is when it is just above freezing and rainy, or just below freezing with wet snow. Climb in the cab with damp/wet clothes on and the back and rear quarter windows fog right up. Eventually the heater will clear them but do you really want to be running partially blind while you wait for that to happen?

/ CAB-is rear defrost worth it? #9  
can it be added later?

/ CAB-is rear defrost worth it? #10  

The Laurin cabins are of very high quality with regard to their design and construction. The air conditioning units for the small tractor/BX model Laurin cabs are surface mounted units for the smaller tractors and I believe they are the Coleman air conditioners that are self contained and not part of the cabin itself which aids in sealing and cooling creating a pressurised chilled cabin denying the exhaust fumes the possibility of entry

If you are buying a tractor with a cabin you are obviously going to spend a lot of time in it working the the year round and a pressurised heating and cooling system will make the job easier with much less fatigue/being tired etgc.

leon

This is the only guy I have seen complain about the B3030 HSDC cab and as best I can tell he doesn't own one. :laughing: I do own one and there is:

no fume penetration,

The heater works great and my experience is that there is no need for the rear window defroster. I generally have to turn the heater way down after a short time and I have had mine out at -15 F.

The air conditioner works great.

If you set the heater/air conditioner up to bring in cold air vs recirculate, it creates a positive outward pressure which keeps out dust, and fumes I imagine.

I have used mine for three winters and couldn't be happier with the cab. I wonder if Leon is a salesman for Laurin.;) I know nothing about the Laurin cab, so it might be nice, but the standard B3030 HSDC cab is excellent in my opinion. I could complain about the seat a little a bit. It definitely could be improved, but the seat in the M5740 is nicer.

A friend of mine has an M5740 for snow removal primarily and I helped him out one day with snow removal. It was plenty warm when I got in and there was no frost, but he had started the snow blowing already and it wasn't a particularly cold day. To be honest, I don't know if he has the rear window defroster. Knowing him very well, he probably does.