100+ HP Kubota - any good?

/ 100+ HP Kubota - any good? #1  

ddivinia

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75
I will confess I am a John Deere guy. My buddy has a 9540 and a smaller Kubota. He doesn't like the smaller one and wants to get a 110X. I don't know anybody with these larger Kubota tractors.

The dealer is giving him good trade in on his smaller Kubota so the numbers work.

Any feedback?

D.

/ 100+ HP Kubota - any good? #2  
Local dealer has sold 1 - M95xx & 1 - M105xx in the past month alone. From the people I know using ag-size tractors, some say "excellent engine/drivetrain, but not heavy enough" or "excellent tractors". Our local dealer got the Kubota name out there initially by loaning farmers whose tractor was in their shop a Kubota to use while their "Deere, Long, NH, etc." was being worked on. This has sold many a Kubota over the years. Hard to say how many M6800's I've seen locally. I wanted a Kubota myself, but the right machine did not come around used yet, so I'm green.... for now. I wish I had some hands-on experience to give you, but mine is second-hand.

/ 100+ HP Kubota - any good?
Local dealer has sold 1 - M95xx & 1 - M105xx in the past month alone. From the people I know using ag-size tractors, some say "excellent engine/drivetrain, but not heavy enough" or "excellent tractors". Our local dealer got the Kubota name out there initially by loaning farmers whose tractor was in their shop a Kubota to use while their "Deere, Long, NH, etc." was being worked on. This has sold many a Kubota over the years. Hard to say how many M6800's I've seen locally. I wanted a Kubota myself, but the right machine did not come around used yet, so I'm green.... for now. I wish I had some hands-on experience to give you, but mine is second-hand.

Fair enough - their larger tractors have some nice automation stuff and I like the swivel seat idea.

D.

/ 100+ HP Kubota - any good? #4  
I did look at a 100 hp Kubota before I bought my Case-IH 125. The similar sized kubota's seem much lighter in overall construction/build than comparable JD or Case-IH. The front end, rear end, lift linkages ect just are not built as heavy. The cabs seem relatively crude. Cab is what I would expect from a 70-80's tractor. Didn't have features I would see on comparable tractors. The price was also not significantly cheaper to justify the build difference.

/ 100+ HP Kubota - any good? #5  
I have an M9580, which was built in the mid 90's that has 5600 hours on it that has been an excellent tractor. It is 100 engine HP and 90 PTO, but it is the larger frame and chassis, than the smaller M-series. I really like it.

/ 100+ HP Kubota - any good? #6  
One thing I noticed about the larger Kubota tractors is there doesn't seem to
be as much headroom in the cab compared to our Case IH 5140. They don't
appear to be as heavy as others in their HP range but everyone I know that's
bought a 90-110HP Kubota loves them. My neighbor bought one of the first
95hp Kubota's in the area many years ago and it's still going strong. The guy
that delivered our L3940 said one Dairy farmer near the dealership had no
Kubota's 5 years ago and now he has 6. Hopefully our 5140 and our IH 686
will last as long we do and we won't have drop $60-$80K on a tractor. I think
the FIL paid $38K for the Maxxum 5140 back in '93.

/ 100+ HP Kubota - any good? #7  
It's funny that so much emphasis is put on the weight here. We don't back down from it as it still goes back to what you need to do!

I had a fellow telling me about light three point hitch arms, when questioning him about the uses he had for it, there weren't any! I like them on all the ag tractors, PTO shafts are a good repair item!
When questions arise of weight, it really is a matter of balance! We have repeatedly out performed on hills because of balance, not the weight!!!!!

You build a tractor for the job, light for hay, heavier for tillage, but anything you do is to get the balance right so you don't burn anymore fuel then the minimum! The highest weight for perfection is 130 lbs per horsepower and that is for heavy tillage. Otherwise 110 is near perfect for overall performance.

It's funny but the difference from the customers is that of an elephant going across a field to a cat! Think about it!!!!!!

PS I sell Case tractors too!!!!

/ 100+ HP Kubota - any good? #8  
It's funny that so much emphasis is put on the weight here. We don't back down from it as it still goes back to what you need to do!

I had a fellow telling me about light three point hitch arms, when questioning him about the uses he had for it, there weren't any! I like them on all the ag tractors, PTO shafts are a good repair item!
When questions arise of weight, it really is a matter of balance! We have repeatedly out performed on hills because of balance, not the weight!!!!!

You build a tractor for the job, light for hay, heavier for tillage, but anything you do is to get the balance right so you don't burn anymore fuel then the minimum! The highest weight for perfection is 130 lbs per horsepower and that is for heavy tillage. Otherwise 110 is near perfect for overall performance.

It's funny but the difference from the customers is that of an elephant going across a field to a cat! Think about it!!!!!!

PS I sell Case tractors too!!!!

Compare the Kubota 125 to the Case-IH 125 Maxxum. Same engine hp and both MFWD. Kubota has 356 cu in vs Case-IH 411 cu in. Kubota weighs 9447#. Case-IH 10890#. Where is the other 1500 lb difference? More frame, heavier lift arms, drawbar, tranny ect. I believe the Kubota also has cast rear wheels in an attempt to get the weight up to 9447#. Case-IH has steel.

Kubota lifts 5203# but can be optioned to 9447#. Case-IH lifts 9680# but can be optioned to 12,185#. I do have some 3 pt equipment that would not be lifted with 5203# of lift and probably marginally lifted at 9000 lbs. I have the 12,185 lb lift option.
I have an additional 600 lbs rear end weights, 1000 lbs of front end weights and 250# weight bracket. (I could add up to 2000 lbs of front end weight.)

Your figure of 110#/hp would be 13,750 lbs. My Case-IH 125 weighs 10,890#, 1850# of weights is 12,740#. I have the larger tires, rear axle and heavier lift which probably adds at least 260# for 13,000#. Loader brackets are heavy 1" thick steel and probably add another 700#. This puts me near the ideal. I pull a 1200 gallon, 90ft boom sprayer weighing at least 15,000# over 1200 acres 3-4 times a year. I need the weight and bigger tires. Going up bigger hills, I wish I had a few more ponies. (Could have bought the 140 hp version.:thumbsup:) Put on the FEL and HD bucket and probably over 16,000 lbs. My FEL can lift 5350#, the Kubota loader lifts 3838#. Potentially my Case-IH can carry and lift over 33,000 lbs with tractor, 3pt and full weight on the FEL. (The number is staggering) Can the kubota with its lighter frame and rear end take the weight and heavy use? I see almost no larger Kubotas in my area used for routine farm use. Occassionally see them used as a large utility tractor.

I have many Case-IH dealers and few Kubota dealers in the area. The Case-IH also cost less than the Kubota. In less than 2 years of use and 1000 hours, I have had to replace an 0-ring on a hydraulic fitting under warranty. Dealer came to the farm at no charge.

Like anything, it depends on your use and need. My 2 main farming tractors are Case-IH maxuum 125 and Case-IH 245. JD 4520 for the light stuff and JD 2305 for mowing. Old IH 1086 for fill in tractor if the 125 is busy and on augers, batwing mower ect. IH 806 propane if I need to somewhat brutish force for a brief task (no cab and leaky manifold). Old Farmall 560 and M tractor but I never get that desperate.

Last edited:
   / 100+ HP Kubota - any good? #9  
Compare the Kubota 125 to the Case-IH 125 Maxxum. Same engine hp and both MFWD. Kubota has 356 cu in vs Case-IH 411 cu in. Kubota weighs 9447#. Case-IH 10890#. Where is the other 1500 lb difference? More frame, heavier lift arms, drawbar, tranny ect. I believe the Kubota also has cast rear wheels in an attempt to get the weight up to 9447#. Case-IH has steel.

Kubota lifts 5203# but can be optioned to 9447#. Case-IH lifts 9680# but can be optioned to 12,185#. I do have some 3 pt equipment that would not be lifted with 5203# of lift and probably marginally lifted at 9000 lbs. I have the 12,185 lb lift option.
I have an additional 600 lbs rear end weights, 1000 lbs of front end weights and 250# weight bracket. (I could add up to 2000 lbs of front end weight.)

Your figure of 110#/hp would be 13,750 lbs. My Case-IH 125 weighs 10,890#, 1850# of weights is 12,740#. I have the larger tires, rear axle and heavier lift which probably adds at least 260# for 13,000#. Loader brackets are heavy 1" thick steel and probably add another 700#. This puts me near the ideal. I pull a 1200 gallon, 90ft boom sprayer weighing at least 15,000# over 1200 acres 3-4 times a year. I need the weight and bigger tires. Going up bigger hills, I wish I had a few more ponies. (Could have bought the 140 hp version.:thumbsup:) Put on the FEL and HD bucket and probably over 16,000 lbs. My FEL can lift 5350#, the Kubota loader lifts 3838#. Potentially my Case-IH can carry and lift over 33,000 lbs with tractor, 3pt and full weight on the FEL. (The number is staggering) Can the kubota with its lighter frame and rear end take the weight and heavy use? I see almost no larger Kubotas in my area used for routine farm use. Occassionally see them used as a large utility tractor.

I have many Case-IH dealers and few Kubota dealers in the area. The Case-IH also cost less than the Kubota. In less than 2 years of use and 1000 hours, I have had to replace an 0-ring on a hydraulic fitting under warranty. Dealer came to the farm at no charge.

Like anything, it depends on your use and need. My 2 main farming tractors are Case-IH maxuum 125 and Case-IH 245. JD 4520 for the light stuff and JD 2305 for mowing. Old IH 1086 for fill in tractor if the 125 is busy and on augers, batwing mower ect. IH 806 propane if I need to somewhat brutish force for a brief task (no cab and leaky manifold). Old Farmall 560 and M tractor but I never get that desperate.

Thats all good info, and I don't disagree with any of it. But if all you are doing is hay and livestock farming, the Kubota's fit really well into that operation. Where I am at, we really don't have any CIH dealers, mainly JD, New Holland and Kubota. I don't price the blue stuff usually, but I can tell you how the orange compares to green in price.

/ 100+ HP Kubota - any good? #10  

Your 125 must be the economy if it sold for less the the 125 Kubota. The 140 is a better choice if they are loaded up because of the performance issue, we have hills here as well! Your 125 probably has a total load configureation of less then 20,000 lbs when used correctly so sometimes the numbers will get you into trouble. The 140 also runs a heavier front axle I believe getting up to a class five. Balance is the most important part when operating a tractor.

As far as hitch lift and loader capacities I go by break-out force. That is about the only thing you will ever feel is when it won't do it! That is unless you know your dealing with pallets at x lbs.