Buying Advice BX FEL BXpanded Bucket Expander

/ BX FEL BXpanded Bucket Expander #1  

RomeK2

Bronze Member
Tractor
Just sold Hinomoto E16
I am getting ready to move a lot of dirt. I was considering investing in a BXpanded Bucket Expander. I've searched the threads here and have not seen any threads with user/owner input. My questions are:

1. Does any here own one and if so can you give my feedback on it?

2. Have you heard of any user/owner feedback on the BX bucket expander?

3. I read that it will not work with hooks on the lip. I can't see the pic on the bxpanded web site good enough to determine if my hook would get in the way. My hook is set back a bit (see picture below). Is it far back enough?

5. I was informed a tooth bar would help to get full scoops on moving dirt. What's the best kind for the BX 25?

6. Toothbar vs. bucket expander?

Attachments

• Bota-FELHook.jpg
    Bota-FELHook.jpg
    861.6 KB · Views: 1,126
   / BX FEL BXpanded Bucket Expander #2  
The hook that far back won't interfere with the Bucket Expander. We can accomodate many hooks if we know where they are attached. The expander enlarges the bucket on top, bottom and both sides. Doubles the heaped capacity over the standard bucket.

/ BX FEL BXpanded Bucket Expander #3  
Perhaps Harry would agree that the expander works better with light materials than with dirt. You may not be comfortable with much more than a rounded standard bucket load of dirt on ground that is rough at all. I know I wasn't with my BX.

/ BX FEL BXpanded Bucket Expander #4  
Chuck,
I find the BX24 handles a full Expanded bucket of dirt very nicely. Obviously, normal precautions such as keep the bucket low and appropriate ballast are even more important since there is considerable extra weight.

/ BX FEL BXpanded Bucket Expander
Chuck,
I find the BX24 handles a full Expanded bucket of dirt very nicely. Obviously, normal precautions such as keep the bucket low and appropriate ballast are even more important since there is considerable extra weight.

Thanks guys. Is a backhoe on apprpriate enough as a ballast?

/ BX FEL BXpanded Bucket Expander #6  
The backhoe is the best possible ballast you could have as long as your not working in a confined space,I believe it's somewhere in the 1000 lb. range.
DevilDog

/ BX FEL BXpanded Bucket Expander #7  
I believe it's somewhere in the 1000 lb. range.
More like 600#.

An actual ballast box COULD be better if it weighed over 500# because it is lower to the ground and can be "dropped" in an emergency.

But because a ballast box is absolutely useless for anything OTHER than providing weight, I don't see the point in taking up space with one. Backhoe is fine, but it does make a BX more unstable on slopes. However, if you're loading your FEL up to that point, you're not (or shouldn't be) on slopes like that anyway.

Box Blade does a good job, too...good ballast (~300#) and also a very useful implement.

/ BX FEL BXpanded Bucket Expander #8  
Actually more like 700 plus according to this Woods Dealer.
DevilDog
2007 Woods BH6000 Backhoe
Details iDeal Equipment # 382786
excellent condition, 2007, 3PT,Black In Color,2 Stick,12 Inch Bucket/3 Thooth Bucket,Weight:730 Pounds,For Subcompact Tractors (18-24 HP)
Como Farm Equipment
Main
Winchester
Ontario
FlagCanSm.gif
$4,950 CAD
FlagUSSm.gif
$4,7

/ BX FEL BXpanded Bucket Expander
I have a box blade but I do like the weight of the backhoe for ballast.

/ BX FEL BXpanded Bucket Expander #10  
More like 600#.

An actual ballast box COULD be better if it weighed over 500# because it is lower to the ground and can be "dropped" in an emergency.

But because a ballast box is absolutely useless for anything OTHER than providing weight, I don't see the point in taking up space with one. Backhoe is fine, but it does make a BX more unstable on slopes. However, if you're loading your FEL up to that point, you're not (or shouldn't be) on slopes like that anyway.

Box Blade does a good job, too...good ballast (~300#) and also a very useful implement.

I agree with everything said here- just want to add, the BH did helped me in a pinch on a sideways slope. Using the boom extended as far I could uphill to shift some weight over there did help. Kinda like being on a crab ship and thier extended booms on both sides to help with rolling waves. Or another thing, When I lifted a 2 and half wide popular stump, I extended the boom backwards to counter balance.

My rambling here sure doesnt help romek2, but "could" help him out if needed. Since his tires may not be loaded and he going to make alotta trip with materail in bucket, the BH will cut down on the bouncing by end of the day, his body:cool: will thank his BH.