M7040 Variations? Getting ready to buy!

/ M7040 Variations? Getting ready to buy! #11  
I am going to drive you guys nuts....
I also noticed there are some with a turbo and some without?
I stopped by one local dealer and he said his 6040s and 7040s have a turbo. The brochure he gave me says no. I guess some do and some dont?

This is where the minor revisions on some models come in to play. The specs in the brochures and the specs on the website are not all in sync. I was perplexed by this same issue when I read a thread on TBN where a guy bought a M7040 and it was a turbo... but the specs said it was not.

I believe the M7040 is one of those models that did not come with a turbo originally... but one of their minor revisions -1 or -2, etc. DID get the turbo. The model would be listed as M7040HD-1 or M7040HD-2, etc. Don't know when the turbo came along on this model... but it is one that started out without it.

/ M7040 Variations? Getting ready to buy!
Sitting here reading info I am finding seems to say exactly what you did. So if I am buying a new one that the dealer is ordering, you would think it would have a turbo since it is so new?

/ M7040 Variations? Getting ready to buy! #13  
Yeah. Unless they find an old stock from another dealer. Once a revision comes out, only that model/revision is built from that time forward. Until a new revision comes out.

The computer system they use to order keeps track of all of this pretty well. When I finally ordered my tractor, I brought in a printout from Kubota's website. I used the "Build my Kubota" process. Although the specs for the M8540HD listed a "-1", the build process was not that up to date. The printout I brought in was the straight M8540HD and not the M8540HD-1. When they went to order it, the computer said it was not available. This changed the price (although not much) and it changed the part numbers for some of the options I ordered. The computer will catch it all. Keep in mind, I was not wanting the non-revision model necessarily, I just didn't know much about the revisions at the time.

The dealer books will say what the current model/revision is.

/ M7040 Variations? Getting ready to buy! #14  
The turbo in the -1 model is designed to pass "Tier (something)" emission restrictions. In California it has to have the turbo to be sold. However, the M7040 could be bought out of state and shipped in.

The -1 turbo adds very little power - it is there to clean up the engine emissions.

The reason that is relevant is that the -1 version may not be available in all states. That doesn't mean it is a bad thing - just one less factor to go wrong. With the turbo you have to "cool down" the tractor before shutting it off. That tells me that it is easily breakable.

/ M7040 Variations? Getting ready to buy! #15  
Besides the hydraulic shuttle or sync shuttle, 4x4 or 2x4, ag or industrial tires, cab or no cab, is there anything else to watch for as far as a "cheaper" version of this tractor? Had a dealer say something about a S series that can have the good features but miss things like arm rests on seat ect. Seems like they were full of BS but I need to know ASAP.

I am considering pulling the trigger (so to speak) tomorrow on my first Kubota which will be a M7040 with a 1153 loader, 4x4, hydraluic shuttle, ag tires, no cab, regular wheels filled with antifreeze.

Anything else I should look for?

M7040 comes with one remote - do you have a need for a second one? Cheaper to do it right away. Also get dealer to throw in a block heater if you live in a northern area. Tire size - do not recall anymore if there was an optional larger size for that model. If it was available, we added that in as well since it is the biggest model of that set. We did not get the upgraded seat, but have heard that it is awesome if you are going to be be spending long days on it. :)