Best 50 hp Kubota

/ Best 50 hp Kubota #1  

scrimshaw33

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4520 w/ cab and FEL
I posted on the JD side of the site as well but after looking more at a slight less price difference in the Kubota want to take a look at them as well. Can you all rec'd a good all around Kubota 50 hp tractor with FEL. I have 100 acres in NC and primarily will be using for bushogging, deer food plots, pushing brush or fallen trees around, maintaining drive way. I will have a total of 20-30 acres in tillable land but likely will lease or have someone plant that for me, but have been told to try to go with at least a 50 hp.

I'd like to get a bushog and rotary tiller and box blade too, assuming with the rotary tiller I can skip a plow and disk.

/ Best 50 hp Kubota #2  
If you have lots of loader work - I'd go with the L5240 or L5740 for the hydro and smaller turning radius. If more ground engaging work - M5040 or M6040. If I wanted to spend less money than either of these, go used. disclaimer - These opinions are from a would have been Kubota owner, but found a green one instead.

/ Best 50 hp Kubota #3  
I agree with the above except I'd also look at the MX5100. Specs its about identical to the L5240. Just a few lbs difference in loader ability, a few hundred lbs lighter (3600 for the MX and 3900 for the L) and a slightly better turning radius by a few inches. The tires are the same size as well.

I may be wrong but I think the MX is a good bit cheaper as it doesn't havve as many bells and whistles as the Grand L.

The M5040 and up would definatally be better for heavier tillage as they are around 5400lbs. So if trailering is a concern this may be a factor. Their loaders are a little stronger and can lift higher as well but you do give uf a few feet of turning radius. They will probabally be a little more $$ than either of the above as well.

/ Best 50 hp Kubota #4  
I posted on the JD side of the site as well but after looking more at a slight less price difference in the Kubota want to take a look at them as well. Can you all rec'd a good all around Kubota 50 hp tractor with FEL. I have 100 acres in NC and primarily will be using for bushogging, deer food plots, pushing brush or fallen trees around, maintaining drive way. I will have a total of 20-30 acres in tillable land but likely will lease or have someone plant that for me, but have been told to try to go with at least a 50 hp.

I'd like to get a bushog and rotary tiller and box blade too, assuming with the rotary tiller I can skip a plow and disk.

I look after maybe 50 acres with a 46 hp Grand L Kubota I bought new in 2002. I has done everything you mentioned, plus backhoe work, snow removal, and lots of loader work, trouble free going on 1000 hours, also in NC. The newer models have some nice features, but I can't say there has ever been a time when this one has let me down.

My L4610 runs a 6ft bush hog, 6ft boxblade, 7ft scraper blade and a 6ft tiller with ease. None of the attachments work the tractor hard, no matter the condition of the brush or the ground. If you have more acres to mow or till, you may need larger attachments, which will put you into another hp category.

Any of the current Kub models in the 50 hp and up range will be a workhorse for the things you want to do. The L models are somewhat more "deluxe", and have features that facilitate the kind of chores you mentioned. The M models are more ag utility tractors, but would also serve your needs well. The MX is a great small frame utility, IMO.

Hopefully you have a good dealer that knows his products and will give you a good look at what they are like.

/ Best 50 hp Kubota #5  
What will your budget allow? A grand L would make for a nice tractor for you but it's going to cost more than the regular L series. I'm guessing the L4400 would be the bottom of the line for what your looking for HP and weight wise but would be a cheaper option. I've never really looked into the M line so I can't help much.

/ Best 50 hp Kubota
Crazyal, I want to spend as least as possible. The more I look at used tractors (at least JDs) the more close I get closer to the price of some new Kubotas. That said, if I were to go with a new tractor I'd probably have to spend $20,000 for the tractor and $3-5,000 for implements (rotary tiller, bushog, boxblade). I CAN spend that much ($25,000) but don't want to! I'd rather spend around $15,000 for tractor and implements but I don't think that's possible.

I do want something that will last me forever if I get a new or close to new tractor.

I've also considered buying a $5,000-$8,000 used older tractor but b/c of my limited tractor knowledge I'm afraid of buying something dangerous for me or my kid for the future. Not to mention my poor mechanical skills although I'm a pretty good learner and maintain things well.

/ Best 50 hp Kubota #7  
i think there are two different M5040/6040 series tractors? one is kind of stripped down for economy purposes and the other is more feature packed. take a look on the Kubota website to learn the differences as i can't remember the exact model specifications. this is Kubota's line to compete with NH's TT series as well as Deere's D and E series.

/ Best 50 hp Kubota #8  
It's the 'previous generation' but if you can find one used, I can highly recommend my L5030.

/ Best 50 hp Kubota #9  
Take a look at the Kubota MX5100...............

/ Best 50 hp Kubota #10  
I sure can't improve on the excellent advice given so far. I was going to buy new, but found a very good used Grand L5030 at my dealer with all maintenance records, so I saved a lot. I like the extra features of the Grand L line, but all are good choices, depending on your needs. I have geared units for heavy stuff and use mine with a BB, rotary cutter and FEL; works very well.