Comparison 50 hp Kubota (L5030HST & M5700)

/ 50 hp Kubota (L5030HST & M5700) #1  

ah64_ip29

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HSTC
Hey All,
I've been looking for about 6 months and have found an M5700 with Cab, and Loader, and an L5030 HST with Cab and Loader. They both have ~500 hours and are similar in price ~23K, the L5030 HST a little higher.

What are the main differences between these tractors, besides the obvious difference of the transmission?

Will I need to extra weight to lift round bales (1500-2000lbs)? Wheel weights, implement or ?

I've also seen a L4630 HST for about the same price. Seems like more HP would be better.

It seems that the dealers on tractorhouse.com won't bargain much with the prices they post. Has this been other people's experience?

I'm looking for a tractor for a hobby horse farm (17 acres). Picking up round bales (probably the heaviest task right now), Mowing (task most often performed), leveling ground, moving some dirt, post hole digging, etc.

Thanks for the help. Adrian

/ 50 hp Kubota (L5030HST & M5700) #2  
The L-5030 could do all you might need for your property and give you a easy driving hydro.
The M-5700 won't need as much ballast as it is heavier and more of a gear drive ag tractor. It is a gear drive but one of the easiest shifting I've been on. The extra horsepower of the 5700 will make up for loosing some of the speed variations of the hydro.

/ 50 hp Kubota (L5030HST & M5700) #3  
You might want to check with TexasJohn as he does all of this on 200 acres with his L5030 HST. I have been very happy with my L5030, but don't have any experience hauling round bales. One of the things I like about my tractor is the lighter weight as you can easily add weight,but can't take it off. I am sure the M5700 would be an excellent tractor if you don't mind the geared unit.

/ 50 hp Kubota (L5030HST & M5700) #4  
Hey All,

It seems that the dealers on tractorhouse.com won't bargain much with the prices they post. Has this been other people's experience?

I just bought a used B7500 from a local Dealer . I too found they wouldn't move much on price so i got them to included a full service , a few minor repairs , 7 day warranty , and delivery .

Best of luck in your search

/ 50 hp Kubota (L5030HST & M5700) #5  
If the tires are filled it will help a lot.
You mentioned bales from 1500 to 2000 pounds. There will be a very noticeable difference for that extra 500 pounds out in front.
As long as you use a Q/A hay spike you should have no problem on level ground. The bucket spikes put the weight further out (more leverage against the tractor weight). I tried one for a while on 5 x 6 bales and it put a lot of strain on the FEL.

As much as I like HST, I still prefer geared tractors for real work.

Good luck with your purchase and be sure to let us know which you choose.

/ 50 hp Kubota (L5030HST & M5700) #6  
The 5030 HST will do all you need on 17 acres. I handle 200+ with mine. HST will be a boon, IMHO to the numerous variety of tasks you have. Gear tractor and more horsepower ..... me, I'd go with the HST for the same $$. A HAY SPIKE on the front and WEIGHT (or hay fork with hay bale) on rear is what I've used to handle over 100 6foot round bales a year....am a total fan of HST.

Call/PM me if you wish more details.

/ 50 hp Kubota (L5030HST & M5700) #7  
You would do OK with either unit, but I'd probably give the nod to the L5030 because the HST would make you more productive with your dirt work. Using the FEL and the boxblade - your primary dirt moving tools - involves a lot of back and forth movement, where the HST really shines.

If you were planning to plow and disc extensively, or do your own baling, the advantage might go to the M5700.

The L5030 should carry a 2000 lbs bale, but I would be concerned about stacking them or loading on a flatbed, for example... that's a lot of weight vs. the tractor to be getting very high off the ground. Any sloping or uneven terrain underfoot could bring on a thrilling experience. But I haven't done much with round bales... others will have better advice than I can give.

/ 50 hp Kubota (L5030HST & M5700)
Thanks for the comments. I'll admit, I started out favoring the M5700. Turns out it has a mechanical shuttle. It is $22.5K. The L5030 is $24.5K. I'm thinking about spending the extra $$$ for the HST. How small can I go in the Kubota HST line and still handle the round bales? L46? L44? L43?

If I'm looking for a mower does anyone have any recommendations on brands, styles? I'm thinking 7', give or take a foot. We don't have brush, just grass and weeds on relatively flat fields. One of our fields have some rocks, so it's nice to have a blade that rotates out of the way, but I really don't need anything too heavy. I don't need the horse fields to look like a lawn. Adrian

/ 50 hp Kubota (L5030HST & M5700) #9  
I can pick up a large round bale to move it with the FEL on my L4610, but, even with a 2000+ lb backhoe on the back, I don't want to get it up high. With the 40 series L's, I'd recommend you stay with the LA854 loader, which is on the L4240 and up. Earlier generation tractors with the LA852 and LA853 would be comparable.

My cutter is a 6 ft., and it does not work the tractor hard, even in the heaviest grass or brush. A 50hp tractor should run a 7 ft. under similar conditions, but you will find the $$$ starts going up quite a bit for the >6ft cutters.

As for cutter brands, there are a number of good quality manufacturers. Mine is a Befco... completely trouble free for 8 years. Others: Landpride, Woods, Bush Hog, to name just a few. King Kutter is maybe not in the same category... less refined assembly and paint job, for example, but many users have had good luck with their products. There are also some regional brands making OK products... you'd have to check them out individually.

One more thing... rotary cutters can be light, medium or heavy duty. Sometimes a manufacturer only has one or two models, not all 3, and what one outfit calls "medium" may compare to the "light" model from another company, etc. So, you pretty much have to look at the specifications to see what you are getting. You would probably do OK with a "medium" unit for what you plan to do; a "light" unit may be flimsy and a "heavy" one will be rugged but costs big $$$.

/ 50 hp Kubota (L5030HST & M5700) #10  
Have you sat in the seat of either tractor and tried them out? I would go with HST over gear (personal opinion) but if the 5700 is a shuttle then I think I would lean that direction to get the extra weight and lifter rating for the round bails. What do the tractors have for tires? Unless your ground is hard or you don't mind it torn up a little ags may not be the best fit for mowing. But if where you plan on using your loader is a little muddy then maybe they would be.