Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Delay in MMM Should I Go With A Rear Mower

I ordered a 2630 along with the 72" MMM just over a month ago. My dealer has had difficulty in finding this deck. kubota is not going to have any available until at least August and no dealer is willing to let go of them if they do have one.

Now my options are to wait for one or look at an alternative. I could go with the smaller deck but I really want the extra width for mowing. I could go with a Landpride Patriot 72" rear mower but I am unsure about how a rear mower would handle. I will be doing a lot of mowing with the tractor and some of it will be up around the house. I could just get close to the house and use a push mower right next to the house. Some pluses with this would be, 1) it is rear discharge which would be nice, 2) I could use it as a counter weight when using the FEL, 3) I can get mulching blades for it, 4) I think I can tilt it up for easy servicing of the blades. Some negatives, 1) maneuverability, 2) difficulty in changing mowing height. Not sure about other pluses and minuses.

I am looking for any more experienced advice on whether I should go with the Landpride or just wait it out.

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

Default Re: Delay in MMM Should I Go With A Rear Mower

Depends on how much acrage you're cutting and how many things you have to cut around. On a residential property, you'll have your head turned the whole time.

The BOD of the sportsmans club that I belong to thought that a rear RFM was the best option, they were wrong. 10 acres need cut, but around the building, trap houses and trees that thing is a real pain. A 60" MMM would have made life much easier.

The RFM does mak a nice ballast though.
    BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

Tractor
    Kubota L3940 FEL HST

Unless you yard doesn't have much open area you should be fine. I use a 7 foot Landpride RFM. The only place it's hard to cut around is my fence, but that's because I don't want to damage the fence. With the HST you can put this mower anywhere you want. The only time I look behind me is when I'm backing up or trimming around my well, mailbox, trees etc... But you would still have to be careful with a MMM. The landpride will give you a great cut. When I had a 6 foot on my B7800 I ran Gator Mulcher blades and had good results. See if your dealer will let you demo a RFM.
    BX1860 Mowing Machine
    L3940 FEL Sold
    B7800 TLB Sold
    IAFF Local 1568

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

I personally would wait. I have two RFM's and while they are great for open field mowing or paths, when I was using them for my yard, I was constantly doing the "Messerschmidt Twitch" to keep from clipping something and was not always successful. I still use them in addition to ten foot rotary cutters, but never was satisfied with a RFM and eventually bought a mower with MMM and have bought three since then. YMMV
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    JD455 & JD790

I would personally wait also. A big factor for you to consider might be how many attachments do you plan to use and what's involved with changing them. Can you use a MMM and a 3 point attachment together?
    JD 790 w/70 FEL & 7 BH on turf tires
    JD 455 w/60" MMM & 54" front blade

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Quote Originally Posted by K7LN View Post
    I would personally wait also. A big factor for you to consider might be how many attachments do you plan to use and what's involved with changing them. Can you use a MMM and a 3 point attachment together?
    Good point, I rarely remove my MMM and use a rotary cutter as well as a box blade, back blade or tiller.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    all makes and models

Most decks have a clip to lock them in the up position so the three point has full movement and other attachments can be used.

Tractor
    2010 JD2320

Quote Originally Posted by brownsl View Post
    I ordered a 2630 along with the 72" MMM just over a month ago.
    Rear tread width on a 2630 is in the 50 in range. Standard bucket sizes are 54/60. A 60 in mower seems a nice fit. A 72 in mower and I'd be worried about clearance mishaps.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD LA115, WH 244, WH 525 hydro-pops,Original Troy Built Horse 8 HP

Buy a land pride flail mower in kubota Colors with side shift and you wony have any issues about a stiff neck and never worry about throwing debris and hitting someone or something.

Agrissupply has an internet special price for for their Caroni flail mowers and they ship right to your door with freight included in the price.

The flail mower will not scalp either and the full width roller keeps full contact with the ground and the mower is shorter in overall length and the flail knives have more total cutting edge length than a belly mower or rear finish mower AND you only have to hose them out to clean them if you want to and they are less work to take care of in addition to the golf course grade of cut they give AND the mower design with the Verticut knives cuts and lifts the grass over the rotor and throws it back on the ground.

You will be able to buy dethatching/overseeding blades too.

The individual flail knives are mounted on a hanger that folds back when it hits an object and avoids damaging the mower too.

If you damage a flail knife they are easy to change and sharpen too- we still have 30 plus year old mower knives and they last a long time too.

If you have long grass the flail mower will slice it into very small bits which will compost quickly and you will not have to rake either.

(you should also ask you dealer if the land pride flail mower wit four rows of knives will be eligable for the zero percent interest rate-it should with no issues since you are stuck waiting and the 6 foot kubota/land pride flail mower will come to you a lot sooner than the belly mower as they are made in Canada By RAD like the Kubota snow blowers.

The Caroni flail mower with four rows of knives is less costly than the kubota flail mower the last time I checked and they have them in stock at all times and i believe they have a side shift option available for most models.

leon

Silver Member
    Tractor
    B3030HSDCC, Oliver 77, JD LX288

Quote Originally Posted by brownsl View Post
    I ordered a 2630 along with the 72" MMM just over a month ago. My dealer has had difficulty in finding this deck. kubota is not going to have any available until at least August and no dealer is willing to let go of them if they do have one.

Now my options are to wait for one or look at an alternative. I could go with the smaller deck but I really want the extra width for mowing. I could go with a Landpride Patriot 72" rear mower but I am unsure about how a rear mower would handle. I will be doing a lot of mowing with the tractor and some of it will be up around the house. I could just get close to the house and use a push mower right next to the house. Some pluses with this would be, 1) it is rear discharge which would be nice, 2) I could use it as a counter weight when using the FEL, 3) I can get mulching blades for it, 4) I think I can tilt it up for easy servicing of the blades. Some negatives, 1) maneuverability, 2) difficulty in changing mowing height. Not sure about other pluses and minuses.

I am looking for any more experienced advice on whether I should go with the Landpride or just wait it out.
    I'd wait for the 72" MMM. I have one for my B3030HSDCC & it's a real nice mowing deck. While you're waiting you might want to consider getting the high lift blades. They'll help keep that deck nice & clean underneath.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast