Buying Advice First time buyer

/ First time buyer #1  

bjrseno

I am currently in the process of purchasing my first tractor. There are a few items I am unclear on. It looks like I will be purchasing a Kubota B3300 with FEL and Woods 6 ft finishing mower. Is the weight of the mower an issue? Do I need extra weights in the tires? When operating the FEL do I need to leave the mower on as a rear counterweight. If you have any thoughts on this tractor and set up I would apprectiate your comments and input. Thanks

/ First time buyer #2  
Ballast in the rear tires when using the FEL would be a +. I would not be too quick to leave a nice implement on the back such as a finish mower. It would be my luck, I would forget it was back there and back into something. I can deliver one the best 6 ft finish mowers to the Laffayette terminal for $1525 including shipping and orange in color with solid tires. Picture below. I will put the high quality "First Choice" mower up aganist anybodys mower, no matter what the brand! Ken Sweet

Attachments

• firstchoicefinishmower6.jpg
    firstchoicefinishmower6.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 133
   / First time buyer #3  
I am currently in the process of purchasing my first tractor. There are a few items I am unclear on. It looks like I will be purchasing a Kubota B3300 with FEL and Woods 6 ft finishing mower. Is the weight of the mower an issue? Do I need extra weights in the tires? When operating the FEL do I need to leave the mower on as a rear counterweight. If you have any thoughts on this tractor and set up I would apprectiate your comments and input. Thanks

I think you will be happier with a 5' mower. I think a 6' mower will be steering the tractor a lot of the time.

If your rear tires are filled, you shouldn't need the mower attached to work with the FEL.

/ First time buyer #5  
You should have some kind of counterweight in addition to the loaded tires which are optional if you have a big enough counterweight. Ballast box filled with rocks, sand, concrete,etc. or something like a Box Blade. This will help to unload your front axle when using the loader. Loaded tires are nice for traction as well as stabilizing weight. Some people don't like them on soft ground and want the option of a lighter footprint there so they just use a counterweight which they can remove for mowing.etc.

/ First time buyer #6  
I would use a 6' RFM.

/ First time buyer #8  
When useing the FEL I would suggest a Ballast Box. Mine is filled with cement and weighs about 600lbs.

I was amazed at how the Ballast Box improved the performance of the tractor while moving gravel. I like the fact that the box is compact and getting the weight near the rear tires really transfers the horsepower to the ground, right where you want it.

That 6' mower won't do the justice of a ballast box. No comparison.

/ First time buyer #9  
I have found that loaded tires or wheel weights plus a counter weight are the best combination for me. I use a box blade or some other piece of equipment as opposed to ballast box not because it is better just because it is what I have and it works for me.

Good luck shopping.

/ First time buyer #10  
A PRD7200 (6 ft) weighs 720 pounds.
That's the Premium series, which runs a bit heavy.

OP didn't specify which Woods 6' RFM he's buying, but I think he would be OK with one of the standard duty 6' mowers (e.g., RD72).