About to buy a 1978 B7100

/ About to buy a 1978 B7100 #1  

General Lee

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, L4400, BX1870
About to buy a 1978 B7100... UPDATE W/ PICS

I want this tractor to use in the swamppy area of my land pulling firewood out. It appears to be in good shape for 1800 hours. Sellers advised he has had no problems with it. Plus I can use some of my implements from the B3200 on it.
I have always like the look of these old mules. ****, I might even restore it a little, Supposed to be checking it out this evening, what do you all think? Go for it or "you already have a tractor" "what do you need a 32 year old tractor for "?

:D

Last edited:
   / About to buy a 1978 B7100 #2  
Does it come w/FEL?

Have good grip on steering wheel..no power steering only con for those little mules.

/ About to buy a 1978 B7100 #3  
I want this tractor to use in the swamppy area of my land pulling firewood out. It appears to be in good shape for 1800 hours. Sellers advised he has had no problems with it. Plus I can use some of my implements from the B3200 on it.
I have always like the look of these old mules. ****, I might even restore it a little, Supposed to be checking it out this evening, what do you all think? Go for it or "you already have a tractor" "what do you need a 32 year old tractor for "?

:D

If the price is right and you want it... I say go for it! I'm sure I probably would. Then I would have to convince myself that I needed it! I've had two B series Kubotas that didn't have power steering and never found it to be a problem. One had a FEL and even when using it, it never bothered me. Everybody is different though... so it is something to keep in mind. I would be very tempted to do a minor restoration on it as well! Let us know what you decide.

/ About to buy a 1978 B7100 #4  
If it checks out OK it should be good for many more hours. They work great for towing logs in tight places.:D

/ About to buy a 1978 B7100 #5  
I know nothing about that model, but we own some without power steering and I do know that like the Unicorn, there is no such thing as too many tractors:thumbsup:

/ About to buy a 1978 B7100
No FEL, but comes with an old woods 4' bush hog. The bush hog needs a belt. I'm about to go look at it and taking the trailer in case I decide to get it. I'll let you all know what happens. I'll post pics if I bring it home :)

I decided to buy the tractor. I feel for a 1978 it is in good shape and runs very well. The 3 cylinder diesel is smooooth. Smoother than the 4 cyl in mt B3200 it seems.
There is a small oil leak around the valve cover. I'm hoping the bolts just need to be tightened but if I need a new gasket, I'm not sweating that. Its got 4 brands new AG tires on it. The hour meter doesn't work, stopped at 800 hours. The gentleman I bought it from owned it for 3 years and only put about 40 hours on it in that time. It came with an old woods 48'' finishing mower that needs a belt. The mower is rough looking but I'll see what I can do with it.
Now I need to learn my way around this tractor, No manual with it. Anyone know where I can get one? Oh and its a gear tractor with 8 speed tranny with 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse. Hi/Lo, 4wd w/ rear differential lock.
Here are some pics

DSCN0216.jpg

DSCN0217.jpg

I'll have some more pics a bit later, photobucket is being stupid right now

/ About to buy a 1978 B7100 #8  
The reason why I couldn't buy a tractor like that is once I got it home I would want to strip it down and repaint it. That of course would make it look that much nicer and of course would mean more money to fix up all the little things. I just think those older small tractors look so cool. Every one I've seen for sale around here looks like a 30 year old tractor.

If you do use it in deep water keep an eye on the axle fluids. Last thing you want to do is get water in them and not get it out quickly.

Ugh, Its been in the garage the last several hours and I've been looking at it more closely. I got two small trans fluid leaks. One towards the front, one at the year. Hard to tell where its leaking from until I can clean the tractor up a bit. Its hard to expect a 32 year old tractor thats never been refurbished to be perfect.
I'm still trying to get a few more pics up. Based on the pics, what you guys think is a reasonbale price to pay? Wondering if I paid to much.