Buying Advice newbie wanting a small tractor

/ newbie wanting a small tractor #1  

bcj376

Tractor
none yet!!!
Hi,
My husband and I have two acres with rocks under the ground starting at about a foot under (give or take). Not a lot of money to spend on a tractor, but, I need to move some rocks and dirt around the land. Also, eventually mow the field. I have a friend who has a bx24 and he is very happy with it. Would the bx25 be good for me? I'm learning still so don't laugh, but, what is PTO?

/ newbie wanting a small tractor #2  
PTO=power take off,used to run implements,most in back but smaller machines have a mid-pto to run a mower,front snow-blower ect.The back on is used to run i.e. a roto-tiller,rear mount snow-blower.
Bx's with a back-hoe may be used to remove rocks...limited to the size and weight.........they are always heavier and bigger than you think.

/ newbie wanting a small tractor #3  
Dear Sir
Good small tractors are as rare as hens teeth at a low price. Big and ugly can be got any old day to do the rough work. Then save up and buy just the right model . Then you will never want to part with it which brings you back to the beginning of my story.
Craig Clayton

/ newbie wanting a small tractor #5  
The BX series Kubotas are closer to the ground than the B series Kubotas. The B series will lift a bit more weight than a BX. The BX is a great tractor that also mows. I've used BX's, B's and the next size up L's for moving rocks on hillside property. The bigger the rock the bigger tractor is needed. I currently have a BX25 and it is a great all around small (actually called a SCUT sub compact utility tractor) tractor. The B series are classified as CUT or compact utility tractor and the L series and M series are bigger full sized tractors. I guess the big question is how big are the rocks you want to move around. If they are the same size as your neighbors that has the BX24 then the BX25 will move the same size rocks.

/ newbie wanting a small tractor #6  
I have tractors from 23 HP to 85 HP and have found the BX line to be exceptionally handy machines. I am on my second one and I am sure in time it will be replaced by another. I have no need for a backhoe on a regular basis and when I do, I have access to a Bobcat track hoe/mini excavator , so I don't know much about the backhoe capabilities personally.

/ newbie wanting a small tractor #7  
The advice often given here is to go sit on a bunch of them, and see what you are comfortable with. I expect that with two acres, and not a lot of experience that a BX25 would be an excellent place to start if your budget allows one. They will do a surprising amount of work, and hold their value well if you decide that you really need something larger down the road. Perhaps your friend could let you use theirs with some supervision, or at least show you what it has been capable of. I did move up to a "B" from a BX, and do like it better for some things, but the backhoe available isn't much more capable, and it is just a bit big to mow around trees, and rocks, etc. with.

/ newbie wanting a small tractor #8  
If I could only have one tractor and had a BX25 budget, I would probably buy a regular L with only the front loader. I have found that the front loader of my L3700SU can do as much heavy work as the backhoe of my BX24 unless it is digging 6 foot holes or trenching. I have two BXs for mowing and landscaping and an L for the heavy lifting, so I probably am not that thrifty of a tractor user.

/ newbie wanting a small tractor #9  
......I have two acres with rocks under the ground starting at about a foot under......I need to move some rocks.....

Are these the same rocks? A BX is a versatile machine, but if the rocks that are a foot down are the same rocks you want to move, then a BX may or may not be the right machine. If you are talking about moving surface rocks (not boulders), no problem. If you are talking about moving subterranean rocks under a foot of hard clay, then you need an L series tractor with a sub-soiler to rip through the surface. If you want to move rocks under a foot of sandy loam with no big roots in the way, a BX can rip deep enough to expose them. Soil type and roots make a huge difference.

If the rocks are surface rocks, a BX1860, BX1830, or even an old BX1500 would likely be capable of doing what you describe.

If you have little rocks, consider a rock bucket, landscape rake, ratchet rake, etc. If you have lots of small boulders, consider putting a grapple on the FEL, or at least some bucket hooks on the FEL bucket. Also be aware that a backhoe with thumb can lift some small boulders that are too heavy for the FEL to lift. You may also consider a "rock sled" aka "stone boat".

Depending on the soil type and how much dirt you want to move around, the FEL would suffice for a small amount. If a lot, then you probably need a box blade and at least one of several types of drag screen or similar device for finish work.

If you are unfamiliar with these terms and implements, just ask which ones you'd like to know more about. Members can explain them. You can also find endless threads about all of these things by searching the archives.

Last edited:
   / newbie wanting a small tractor #10  
EVen if you cant lift the rocks you can always drag or shove them around with the BX. You can always use a stoneboat too. I have a BX24 and love it.