Eat my words about 1/4" ing

/ Eat my words about 1/4" ing #1  

ChuckinNH

Elite Member, R.I.P.
Tractor
(B2620, had BX22) Simplicity Legacy w/48" mmm
I have stated several times that the QI on my tractor doesn't seem to work as well as it should, and many others seem to have had the same problem. Recently in another thread, a member said he had to adjust the stops on the top of the fender to get the QI to work right on his. I just went out, and played whith mine, and it sure seems to work better now, and I'm anxious to get my BB back on so I can try it out more. One would think that will all the flack that Kubota gets over this that they would make it a point to adjust it correctly either at assembly, or as part of the dealer set up. It is so easy to look at something like that, and just assume it is set correctly when in fact it isn't.

/ Eat my words about 1/4" ing #2  
You would think dealers would set these better on set up, But what I am learning from my new b2620 purchase is some of the dealers do not know how they should work to start with. When I called my dealer,which has been selling kubotas for along time, and told them the 1/4'' valve wasnt working correct they said that its was a 1'' valve and did not know where I got 1/4'' valve from. I told them from the owners manual and kubota !!! Does the 1/4'' section of the range seem to load engine down ? To me it looks like other owners are going to be a better source of information than some dealers. Thanks

/ Eat my words about 1/4" ing #3  
I normally don't post in the threads where people describe negative experiences about the 1/4" valve but I guess I should have. On both of my tractors the first thing I did was adjust the stops and I never had any trouble with it and now I admit that I actually like it. No it does not give the exact position on the way down as position control, but I personally don't use anything that would benefit from that anyway. I slowly raise or lower the hitch to where I want it. The controlled lifting speed especially helps when there are heavy things on the hitch and it keeps them from bouncing around. The other thing I like to have adjusted to my preference is the valve that allows the 3ph down speed (round knob under seat in the center). That way I don't have things drop to the ground like a stone.

I'm glad you had a change of heart Chuck.

/ Eat my words about 1/4" ing #4  
So how far apart are you guys setting these adjustable stops?

/ Eat my words about 1/4" ing #5  
I too found that my stops were out of adjustment, once fixed I didn't mind the 1/4" 3pt hitch at all. In some ways for fine grading I like it better than position control because I can creep along with the HST while making very fine up/down adjustments to get a level grade.

I couldn't believe that the dealer didn't set the stops up properly, as mentioned above I don't think most dealers know how it is supposed to work. The way it came from the factory it was just fast up/down. Now when I bump the lever fore or aft against the inner stops it really does just move a 1/4" at the lower link arms. Also moves up or down slowly when held against the inner stops.

As for the adjustment on the stops, there is no exact measurement. Just move them in or out until you can pull the lever back against the inner (shorter distance) stop and it moves very slowly. That way you can bump the handle back and it moves a 1/4", hold it back and it moves slowly, or pull it all the way back on the outer stop and it will move fast. If it loads the engine up excessively it might be adjusted in too slow, i.e. stops in too close. I would bet that 95% of the tractors with 1/4" valves are not set properly which is why it gets such a bad wrap. Now if I could just figure out how to make the feed-back stop work (to set a minimum height) it would be almost comparable to position control...

/ Eat my words about 1/4" ing #6  
I must have just been lucky that the 1/4" 3pt functions as
advertised , since it sure wasn't the Dealer's intervention ; they
put 24lb in all the tyres and the fronts were on with the valves
facing inside . I had to setup the deck after deflating to 12lb
in the rears and 18lb in the front . Even 54mm(47mm standard) on the front
deck-frame bolt-spacing didn't give the Guy a clue . Hopeless :mad:
You really wouldn't want to hear about LR3 Dealers . You haven't got
enough lifetime left ............

/ Eat my words about 1/4" ing #7  
I guess I've been lucky too as the ones on my tractors have worked as advertised with no adjustment on my part. Maybe that is why I've never minded the 1/4 inching valve.

/ Eat my words about 1/4" ing #8  
I have stated several times that the QI on my tractor doesn't seem to work as well as it should, and many others seem to have had the same problem. Recently in another thread, a member said he had to adjust the stops on the top of the fender to get the QI to work right on his. I just went out, and played whith mine, and it sure seems to work better now, and I'm anxious to get my BB back on so I can try it out more. One would think that will all the flack that Kubota gets over this that they would make it a point to adjust it correctly either at assembly, or as part of the dealer set up. It is so easy to look at something like that, and just assume it is set correctly when in fact it isn't.

Chuck, I think that was me. Posted a pic of the stops on my BX, but after seeing the pic's of your B series linkage, it looked so different, I assumed the 1/4" valve worked differently on the B's. Glad to hear your adjustments worked. If I hadn't seen this feature demo'd by a dealer I was shopping at, I probably wouldn't have understood how it was suppose to work myself. I do think lack of adjustment on delivery of these machines is leading to a lot of dissatisfaction with this feature. Works fine for what I need, but I've never had position control so I don't know what I'm missing anyway.

/ Eat my words about 1/4" ing
It was you Chris that suggested adjusting the top stops. I'm sorry that I couldn't remember, and give you the credit for it. I did look around a bit to see if I could find that thread, and those pictures. Maybe we should include that photo with the ones I provided in this thread so the difference can be explained? The stops I show in my pictures do let you adjust a minimum depth. I tried adjusting them to get the 1/4 inching working right, and for some stupid reason I just never touched the adjustments on the top of the fender. Thanks for turning on the light bulb! We almost should have a sticky about these adjustments since it comes up so often.

/ Eat my words about 1/4" ing #10  
It was you Chris that suggested adjusting the top stops. I'm sorry that I couldn't remember, and give you the credit for it. I did look around a bit to see if I could find that thread, and those pictures. Maybe we should include that photo with the ones I provided in this thread so the difference can be explained? The stops I show in my pictures do let you adjust a minimum depth. I tried adjusting them to get the 1/4 inching working right, and for some stupid reason I just never touched the adjustments on the top of the fender. Thanks for turning on the light bulb! We almost should have a sticky about these adjustments since it comes up so often.

No problem Chuck. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's commented on adjusting the stops. Good idea on adding the BX pic. I couldn't find it on my laptop or photobucket, so here's a link to the photo in the other thread

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...er-inching-valve-bx-quarter-inching-stops.jpg