Help Me Plan

/ Help Me Plan #1  

Will_C

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560, Toro 52" and 60" ZTRs, Kubota RTV 900
I would like some advice about a thought I have had. I know Kubotas and compacts in general hold their resale value well. I am thinking about when it would be a good time to trade in on a new tractor.
My BX 2200, FEL, and MMM were purchased in April 2000. By next spring, the tractor will be three years old and have around 500 hours on the clock. I am thinking about trading it at that time, or selling it privately. I would replace it with either another BX or the JD 2210.
Here are the questions for the TBN brain trust:
1. Am I crazy for considering this? The tractor has had all maintainence and is in new shape. There truly is not one thing wrong with it.
2. How much should/would this cost me? I know this gets to be a confusing issue, with retail prices, discounts, inflated trade values, etc.; but what I am interested in is the difference, or amount of money I would have to come up with.
3. Although there is nothing wrong with the tractor, I realize that if I keep it for another three years/500 hours, there will certainly be some repair costs. What can I expect these to be?
My brother owns an excavating business, and his Case TLB is his moneymaker. He trades every 3-4 years. He always has a payment, but never has a repair bill, never has downtime, and usually averages about 60-70% residual value toward his trade. Although the BX does not make me any money, I am considering this method.
Sorry for the long post, but I am really interested in what you think. Thanks in advance,
Will

/ Help Me Plan #2  
WILL: in mho if u are not going to go up in size , i really don't see any advantage to buying new. if your tractor is well cared for and matained 500 hrs. is not a lot of hrs. your brothers situation is totally different from yours.but if u have the urge for anew tractor it should not cost u that much, to go new. but it will cost some$$. can't really tell u how much as don't know the particulars of your area, and as i am sure u know the area has a lot to do with the price. please let us know what u decide.

/ Help Me Plan #3  
I have to agree with Frank, unless you "get something" for your trade-in trouble, than it's probably not worth it. The BX-2200 is a great quality machine. That being said, I just traded my BX-2200 and FEL in a week ago on a BX-22. Why"? I wanted/needed the hoe. I always did want one, but couldn't afford the bigger machine required two years ago when I bought the first BX.

One week and 12 hours later, I'm really glad I made the trade. My electrician's rental equipment failed on Monday and I ended up digging a 100' trench 2' deep to insure that the work got done in the time frame contracted for. It took me awhile, being a rank amature on the hoe, but I did the job better than I expected I could. (And yes, the bill for the work was lowered accordingly!) So, IMHO, a healthy chunk of the cost of that hoe just went away.

/ Help Me Plan #4  
Will
I had a B7100HST from the middle 80’s until 2000. Only replaced a $.20 o-ring in those years. Repairs should be minimal if any over another 3 years.

Tractors do not deprecate like cars do. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif But with the rebates and finance rates that were offered this last year. It may be harder to get a high trade in value for your tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Your brother needs his tractor to make money. If it is down for repairs he does not make money. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Unless I was going to move up in size I wouldn’t consider a purchase.

But, if <font color=orange>KUBOTA</font color=orange> comes out with a B2910 sized tractor with the new features that are now available on the new Grand L 30 series tractors. I would be one of the first in line to order one. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Help Me Plan
Frank, Jim, and Ron:
Thank you for politely telling me I am crazy!!! I just might go around and get prices next spring, but it would have to be a great deal (probably too great to happen.)
Of course, maybe that new B7800 might be interesting, and, of course, I have always admired my brother's B2400,...
Thanks,
Will

/ Help Me Plan #6  
Will,being a fellow BX owner,I will tell you that you are not CRAZY in thinking along these lines.We normally trade about every three years,why? I like to stay in the Factory Warranty time frame.

We are on our fifth Kubota in ten years,have'nt had any problems worth mentioning,so I know owning a tractor out of warranty is no big deal.Up until recently you could sell a "like new" compact for a very good price,and buy a new unit out-right worth the money,but as mentioned,thats getting a little tougher to do.

It's you're call for sure,but I don't think your off track at all.

That new Deere 2210 is very appealing isn't it? I would trade everything we have for Green equipment,IF I had a willing Dealership close by.

/ Help Me Plan #7  
I am in the process of trading in my L2250 (bought in 1989) on a used L2900. I am getting within $1500 of what I paid for it back in 89. It has had ZERO repairs. If you take care of yours and do proper maint. you should run yours for many,many more troublefree hours.

/ Help Me Plan #8  
<font color=blue>But, if KUBOTA comes out with a B2910 sized tractor with the new features that are now available on the new Grand L 30 series tractors. I would be one of the first in line to order one. </font color=blue>

One of my favorite sayings: "Be careful of what you ask for; you just might get it!"

I haven't been browsing this board as much this past 2 weeks as I usually do, so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not. A salesman at the local Kubota dealer says that Kubota is coming out with a new 30hp B7800 Kubota to replace the B2910. It just might be what you are asking for.

<font color=blue>EDITED COMMENTS:</font color=blue> I just read another post about the B7800 being a "downgraded" B2910 with less features. If that is the case, then the B7800 most likely won't be what you are looking for.

Kelvin