bx2200

/ bx2200 #1  

nwjohn

I realize this may be getting old but I am attempting to finalize my tractor decision. I live in the NW on 4 acres with mostly grass and some woods. I intend to mow, cut trails, spread gravel, remove blackberries and brush, cut wood(move cut wood) and other general estate stuff. I continue to lean toward the BX 2200, 60 mmm, fel and boxblade. I dont think the additonal cost of a b7500 is warranted and I dont believe that ground clearance is a significant issue for me. According to my dealer a BX 2200 may retain up to 90% of there value up to 3 yrs after purchase. Please give me your thoughts and experiences. I would also like to know if the BX 2200 has lived up to owners expectations. I have narrowed my decision down to these tractors largely based on members feedback and my veiwing of the models at the dealer.

/ bx2200 #2  
I have 3.5 acres and mow most of it with great results. I have the 60", FEL, and 48" tiiller. It's a great machine, you will not be disapointed. It's a lot of tractor for the price.

/ bx2200 #3  
nwjohn,

We were considering the same at the time. Both are nice tractors. The 7500 will take a backhoe, you'll need the BX22 to do that. The 7500 has more ground clearance and you can order R4's if you prefer. Having used both I prefer the BX for mowing. The BX's shorter stance works out nicely in the orchard. Since it does mowing and snowblowing the majority of the time we choose the BX. It has replaced two Ariens GTs and a IH super C. It also costs less to fill the tires and replace them. As for retaining the value I can't say, I was interested in it for the long haul.

Either way they are tough machines,
Michael

/ bx2200 #4  
The BX machines are excellent. I recently upgraded to a BX-22 from a BX-2200 (I wanted the hoe) and my property is similar in size to yours.

Regarding holding value, the BX-2200 will hold it's value well, although not if you have "trade-in" in mind and not 90%, even if you privately sell it. (At least in my experience) There are a lot of used BX-2200s becoming available right now, too, from folks like me who upgraded to the BX-22. You may be able to get a great deal on on one of those low-hours trades.

/ bx2200 #5  
I have 30 acres and just put in a 400+ foot driveway with my BX2200. It definitely can handle the job but just took a long time to do, due to the bucket size. I bought my 2001 BX2200 used for around 8000.00 with FEL and it had 180 hours on it. That is less than 90% of a new one so I really do not think its value will be 90% after 3 years. My overall opinion is it is a good little tractor for the money.

/ bx2200 #6  
Re: bx2200 trade-in

Jim,
Are you willing to share the details of your trade? I have a BX2200 and am also interested in trading up to the BX22. I would be interested in knowing: How many hours were on the 2200? Did the trade-in include a mower, FEL, etc.? After trade-in what price did you pay for the BX22?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

/ bx2200 #7  
Re: bx2200 trade-in

The BX-2200 was traded in with the FEL at 128 hours. The trade in value I received was $7500. (Yes, could have sold privately for more, but didn't want to wait) I kept my existing MMM. The BX-22 was $15,500 less the trade.

/ bx2200 #8  
I'd have to say that the BX 2200 has gone beyond my expectations. I do everything you mention on about the same size acreage and the unit performs beautifully. I too looked at the 7500 and it would have been overkill. The 2200 is small enough to get around the trees on my property (even with the FEL connected) but big enough to do things like dig/move dirt and other heavy duty chores. It is a great machine that allows you to really "manage" your land...

/ bx2200 #9  
We live on 2.5 acres here in the NW. The BX2200 was my first choice. Its a well thought out, designed and engineered machine.
But the FEL and backhoe capacity didn't look like enough.
I figured I would run it at more than 110 percent too many times. So we got the next one up - the B7500 with FEL and backhoe.
Our black berrie bushes are 12 to 15, maybe 20 feet tall in places. Same for the Red Elderberry plants.
We got the B7500 last week and put 8-hours on it already. We're really glad we didn't get the BX2200 and even feel like we wish we had a machine bigger than the 7500.
The 7500 will struggle with a big blackberry root, but can get it in one pass if you work the boom, arm and bucket right.
I think you could get the same work done with the B2200 but it will just take a little longer.