upgrade imput

/ upgrade imput #1  

logan97

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800 4/wd
Have a B7800 HST, 4wd,w/402 K loader thinking of an upgrade to L2800 or L 3400. The B7800 is a great unit although, after having it for 7 months or so a larger unit may be a better fit for me. I test drove a L3400 this past Tues and will admit I have the fever. The salesman told me the L2800 would not be much of an upgrade from the B. I tend to disagree but would appreciate some feed back. I do have some concerns about the L's as I have read issues with 3pt jerking, rear PTO noise, and frames or sub frames cracking with BH attachments? I know there are other options which I am not familiar with 3130, 3240 etc... do not need a mid mount connection. Uses would include road maintenance,light logging,sub soiling/grubbing, snow, bush hogging/finish mowing.Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

/ upgrade imput #2  
I have used a B7800,they are a nice unit,just looked at a L2800,nice but I think your dealer is right,,not much of an upgrade(I didn't like the raised floor on the L2800.Owned a Grand L 3130(replaced by the Grand L 3240) very nice units...this is a big step up in tractors.If my L3130 had a cab I would still have it,did anything I wanted with it.Traded it for a L4240 HSTC.

/ upgrade imput #3  
The L3400/L3700 are good basic tractors and a good step up, but like nybirdman, I much prefer the Grand L models for the flat operator's station, tilt steering and HST Plus.

/ upgrade imput #4  
What is the B7800 HST not doing for you??? Or what do you need the larger tractor for exactly?

/ upgrade imput #5  
The L3400 is a good tractor in most respects, you'll have to learn to live with the 3pt jumpiness though.

Make sure the LA463 loader will do what you need it to, they are on the weak side as far as lift capacity goes for that size tractor.

Tell the dealer you want to see a bush hog mounted before you buy. Try the 3 pt with the 'hog attached and see if you can live with it or not. I'm not overly happy with mine, but it's only one part of the tractor. There is no "true fix" for the jumpiness, even with the improved valve it's still pretty rough.

Don't plan on using a boom pole with the 3 ph.

Aside from that, not bad at all.

Sean

/ upgrade imput #6  
Make sure the LA463 loader will do what you need it to, they are on the weak side as far as lift capacity goes for that size tractor.

It may be weak, but mine will lift a heaped bucket of 0-3/4 crusher run easily, and I have curled out 6 inch cedar trees. It has done everything I have ever asked it to do. My PTO makes no strange noises. The 3pt is jerky in the following manner: If you try to move it up in small increments, it jerks up in about 1/4 or 1/2 inch steps. If you move the lever to an intended height it goes up smoothly. the jerking happens when you try to move the lever slowly and continously up through its range: Of course there is no jerking going down. I just usually raise the lift past the exact point I want it to be in one smooth move and then lower it smoothly to the desired height. I have found if you raise the front end loader at the same time as you slowly raise the 3pt. it nearly completely solves the 3pt. jerky-ness. It seems to be too much flow rate and a feedback problem with the position control. I dont know why Kubota can't or wont fix it, but it is not fixed in the latest models. But it is not much of a problem for me. I don't operate a boom pole, but I could see it would be a PITA for that.
All in all I love my L3400/LA463
James K0UA

/ upgrade imput #7  
I noticed the same thing a few days ago re raising the loader smoothing out the 3 pt. I suspect it would require a major redesign to correct the problem or else it would have been done by now.

Sean

/ upgrade imput
What is the B7800 HST not doing for you??? Or what do you need the larger tractor for exactly?

#1 I have the Fever, other than that the front pulls a little in the snow, moving a 16' flat bed trailer around with various loads where my truck will not go.It does not do well grubbing rhododendron and sassafras roots not enough 3pt lift capacity. Would like the additional weight and larger hydro of a bit larger tractor. 1/4 " valve vs the Position Control. The deck and seat vibration at RPM speeds is ridiculous, I cannot imagine a B3200 being worse. 3 cylinder vs 4

/ upgrade imput #9  
Only one cure for the fever :thumbsup: (actually, two... the other is a cold shower from the wife, if you know what I mean.):eek:

I was just thinking about how much money it might cost you... and if you took that $$$ to upgrade the B7800 - use the mid-pto for a front mounted blower... for grubbing have you been using a Tooth Bar? I just got one and it's night and day (even if you upgrade, get one!!!).

Just make sure to test out the difference in the 3ph... I almost upgrade with Barlow's to a 3130 - much, much, more than I needed, it came down to I would've needed to upgrade my truck since the extra 1000 lbs put me over the top...

/ upgrade imput #10  
I have an L2800 HST.. my friend has a B7800.. there is really no way to compare them.. his is more of a 5 acre type of maint tractor.. his loader is much smaller and he cannot lift the boulders the LA463 loader has moved. I use it on 20+ acres to re claim land and gererally terrorize the brush that I battle with every week end =)
If you are looking for somthing more lawn maint driven.. perhaps the B7800 is the correct one.. but if you need something with a lil kick.. the L tractors are the way to go.. Just look at the loader supports and the axles to see the diffence in the tractors... and we paid with-in $900 dollars of ach other in 2005...