Rear versus Front mounted snowblower

/ Rear versus Front mounted snowblower #1  

check

Elite Member
Dorset (cottage country) and Toronto, Ontario, Can
Tractor
2009 Kubota BX25
Which is better? Well, I just looked at both at the local Kubota dealer, and the rear (B2789) snowblower for my BX25 looks FAR superior to me. It is hugely more sturdy, and a lot taller than the front mount (BX60?) model. Also, it has 4 blades on the second stage, and costs about 1/3 of what the front mount costs. As well, I now have a BXpanded.com bucket expander on my FEL which I want to leave on for the winter, so I am more than happy to put up with the inconvenience of having to drive backwards when snowblowing. But even so, I was amazed at how beefy the B2789 is, and I am wondering how the two compare in terms of performance. (I am sure the rear mount will handle deeper snow just because it is so much taller, but what about speed and throwing distance?)

Any feedback or ideas would be much appreciated!

/ Rear versus Front mounted snowblower #2  
I'm pretty sure there's already more than one thread discussing this topic. If you do a search you could spend the next two weeks reading. It all comes down to preference.

/ Rear versus Front mounted snowblower #3  
If you send some snow to Houston - I will do the research and let you know :D

/ Rear versus Front mounted snowblower #4  
I had a rear 60" blower on my B2710 when I got it, used it for two seasons. Then someone here on TBN wanted to swap a front blower for a rear blower, because he wanted to use his loader to clean out his horse stalls. I am so glad I made the swap, going backwards sucks! plus the front throws the snow farther as it is spinning quite faster than the rear blower. Front PTO 2500 RPM's rear 540RPM's. Plus you have down pressure with the front, something you don't have in the rear. More to the front, hence the more $$ for it.

/ Rear versus Front mounted snowblower #5  
I had a rear 60" blower on my B2710 when I got it, used it for two seasons. Then someone here on TBN wanted to swap a front blower for a rear blower, because he wanted to use his loader to clean out his horse stalls. I am so glad I made the swap, going backwards sucks! plus the front throws the snow farther as it is spinning quite faster than the rear blower. Front PTO 2500 RPM's rear 540RPM's. Plus you have down pressure with the front, something you don't have in the rear. More to the front, hence the more $$ for it.

Yeah, the thought of going backwards to blow snow gives me the creeps. Whoever thought of putting a snow blower on the rear to drive backwards must have been a sadist.

/ Rear versus Front mounted snowblower #6  
I never used the rear blower but my front blower works awsome. Best attachment I got for snow removal. Handles drifts and piles from the plow with ease. Now there are guys out there who will tell you the rear is the only way to go but because it works better than the front. I will tell you it cant work much better. Used mine last year after a storm. 12 inches of heavy wet NE snow with slush underneath. Worked perfect and threw it far too. Yeah rear is cheaper but but I have kids everywhere around my house and I would hate to have one not paying attention and me not looking because my nech hurt and they get chewed up. So I like to watch where I am clearing without a neck cramp. Just my 2 cents.

/ Rear versus Front mounted snowblower #7  
... Well, I just looked at both at the local Kubota dealer ...
If I were to ask the local dealer to show me either, he would look at me and shake his head. I am quite certain that none of the dealers in the area have ever stocked one.

Guess I'll have to leave the responses/suggestions on this one to others. :cool:

/ Rear versus Front mounted snowblower #8  
Hey, if you got the money....go front.

If you got half the money....you can afford a rear blower.

/ Rear versus Front mounted snowblower
Hey, if you got the money....go front.

If you got half the money....you can afford a rear blower.

Actually, I'm more concerned about the apparent wimpiness of the front blower I saw. (I made a video of the two side by side which I will try and post later.)

Also, there is a new wrinkle, which I frankly have a hard time believing. I phoned up another dealer closer to my home, and he said there are actually two rear mount (51") models, namely the Kubota B2781 and the Kubota B2789 (the latter of which only costs $1663 Canadian or about $1600 U.S. right now), but get this - he said the B2781 is the same blower as the B2789, but it comes without the 3 pt hitch kit so you can mount it on the front OR the rear! (For the front you would of course have to get the quick hitch and PTO, which would add significantly to the price.) If this is true then of course sturdiness becomes a non-issue, so I'll have to check this out further.

Meanwhile, JDGreenGrass, I see that you and Leonz are having a great discussion on another thread about your rear (green) blower versus his Pronovost Puma blower, and I found that thread very informative. I also see that Pronovost rear blowers are very popular, so I am now also wondering how they compare to the Kubota B2789. (The Pronovost PUMA seems to require at least 17 PTO HP, whereas by Kubota BX25 only has 17.7, but on the other hand Pronovost also makes a smaller "Lynx 52" which looks to be more appropriate.) Anyone tried the Lynx? I am wondering how it would compare to the Kubota B2789.

Finally, the hydraulic chute rotation option on Kubota rear blower is over $700, so I'm wondering what people's experience have been with the manual chute rotation.

Great forum, guys!:thumbsup:

/ Rear versus Front mounted snowblower #10  
And why would you not want to use a Pronovost Group One P540 or Lynx in a lower gear?

Lower gear= full width cut and higher power per foot of hungry snow blower-add a pair of the dual pnuematic casters from cyclone rake and a $99.00 USD back up camera from J.C. Whitney mounted on the right fender and viola!

About the gear driven units you need to look more at the mounting for the cranks and the size of the work or drive gearing and whether the gear teeth are stamped or cut.

A worm gear driven unit is much easier to move as the threads are smaller and the gear type may have issues with built up ice if it is left out doors.-
remember that the blower will be a magnet of snow and ice when it is shut down and outside simply due to the heat generated by the friction of the snow being cast, the chain drive and the gearbox for the blower itself.

Hydraulics are hydraulics and as long as the cylinders are mounted properly to make use of the linear movement of the cyclinder and the mount has good welds its not an issue.

I personally think the RAD-kubota Blowers have too thin low strength steels and we have had members on the board and on plowsite that have had the side walls tweak and twist where this does not happen with the Pronovost units.

Edit: the Lynx was new last year but the quality is the same as all the rest of the Pronovost familys line of snow blowers and farm equipment.

Last edited: