Kubota M8540

/ Kubota M8540 #11  
While I agree that if any of these options are worthless if they are never used and why speed the money, I have a feeling that in Dan's circumstances he will use each and every one of them sometime during his ownership and one they do get used they will be used much more often.

I know that if I were in Dan's shoes I for sure would want all of the remotes that we have talked about and I would use them with the grapple that I would have for cleaning up around the property and for the rear blade that I would have for working the road. Either all 3 for 3 hydraulics on the blade itself or 2 for "TnT" and 1 for angling the rear blade as I currently have on my own tractor. As far as the self leveling loader, no reason to have it other than it sure is easy to deal with pallets when your loading and unloading. Don't have to think about continually adjusting the loader bucket while raising and lowering so that you don't spill the load. As I have said in agreeing with you, none of these things are needed, but they sure are nice to have, especially when the circumstance arises when that option would have been nice to have.

If money is tight, then don't get the options that are easy to put on latter. If not, then get them all now when it is the most convenient.

Just my opinion, obviously others vary. ;)

Yeah, I think we are pretty much in agreement. As I have said before, I have used the features mentioned other than a grapple and for what we do, I just have no need for them and have other places for the money to go.

Of course as I have mentioned on here before, I don't really "need" at least one or two of my tractors as I could pay less to have the work done than it costs for the tractors and equipment, but like many I do it for enjoyment and self satisfaction, so the whole "need/want" equation sometimes gets a little fuzzy.

/ Kubota M8540
Another question: Stepping up to the M8540 means going from a category I to a category II. Is this going to be a big issue? Is there any way to still run cat I implements? The reason I ask is this...in my area there are always auctions going on where you can pick up cheap implements. I would have an interest in buying some older implements for jobs that I may only do a few times. Will I be able to find many cat II implements around? If not, is there any way to still use older cat I implements that I may find?

Should I be concerned?

/ Kubota M8540 #14  
You can use some Cat I implements on a Cat II tractor by using bushings on the hitch pins or by replacing them with Cat II. Now whether you "should" is going to vary from one to the other and how you will use the equipment.

/ Kubota M8540 #15  
The M7040 is also set up with a Cat II 3 PH.

Any tractor store will have the bushings to slide over the Cat I pin and make it Cat II diameter. Replacing the entire set of pins is far more expensive and doesn't really make the implement itself any stronger. The bushings can be moved from implement to implement.

Be careful with Cat I implements since the M8540 (or whatever you choose) will have sufficient HP to make a twisted mess out of them - especially ground engaging ones.

Cat II implements are heavier duty, built with heavier materials, reinforced, hard to find, and expensive.

/ Kubota M8540
The M7040 is also set up with a Cat II 3 PH.

Any tractor store will have the bushings to slide over the Cat I pin and make it Cat II diameter. Replacing the entire set of pins is far more expensive and doesn't really make the implement itself any stronger. The bushings can be moved from implement to implement.

Be careful with Cat I implements since the M8540 (or whatever you choose) will have sufficient HP to make a twisted mess out of them - especially ground engaging ones.

Cat II implements are heavier duty, built with heavier materials, reinforced, hard to find, and expensive.

Thanks for the clarification. I think it was the JD 5083E that was set up with the cat I/II hitch.

I am just wondering if this (cat I/II hitch) is a really important feature or if its not a big deal.

What do you guys think?

I realize that a cat II tractor can easily tear up a cat I implement. I was just wondering if they can be converted because there are some jobs that I will probably only do once or twice. Therefore, picking up a cheap, old implement for very little money might be the way to go for these things. For example, I went to an auction this afternoon and didn't buy anything. But, I could have picked up several implements for under $200, and many under $100. A couple of these I could use once or twice, but not that often. If I can still pull the cat I implement with the cat II tractor then I should be ok. If I tear up the implement a little bit, at least I didn't pay much for it and wasn't planning on using it multiple times. Does this make sense?

Does anyone own a cat II tractor and wish that they would have purchased a tractor with a cat I setup instead because of the implements?

I'm probably starting to split hairs here but I just want to make sure I have all of my bases covered before I pull the trigger.

Thanks.

/ Kubota M8540 #17  
Thanks for the clarification. I think it was the JD 5083E that was set up with the cat I/II hitch.

I am just wondering if this (cat I/II hitch) is a really important feature or if its not a big deal.

What do you guys think?

I realize that a cat II tractor can easily tear up a cat I implement. I was just wondering if they can be converted because there are some jobs that I will probably only do once or twice. Therefore, picking up a cheap, old implement for very little money might be the way to go for these things. For example, I went to an auction this afternoon and didn't buy anything. But, I could have picked up several implements for under $200, and many under $100. A couple of these I could use once or twice, but not that often. If I can still pull the cat I implement with the cat II tractor then I should be ok. If I tear up the implement a little bit, at least I didn't pay much for it and wasn't planning on using it multiple times. Does this make sense?

Does anyone own a cat II tractor and wish that they would have purchased a tractor with a cat I setup instead because of the implements?

I'm probably starting to split hairs here but I just want to make sure I have all of my bases covered before I pull the trigger.

Thanks.

I would think going category II, the price and quality of the implements goes up.

Certainly something you should consider before buying the tractor you want or need.

If the Deere is category I and II, that would be better than a tractor that is strictly category II....IMO.

/ Kubota M8540 #18  

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

I went from cat 1 to cat 2, never looked back. The cat 2 are heaver and will stand up to the pressure a 85 hp tractor will put on them.
I personally would not run anything that is ground engagement cat 1 on my M85.

E/S

/ Kubota M8540 #19  
With a tractor this big, it is pretty much a waste of time and $$$. You take the time to go and get the cat one implement, use it and don't pay attention a second. Now you have some scrap iron, plan on having a biiiiig pile if you are going to go this route.

One of the downfalls of getting bigger machines, you have to get bigger implements to go along with them. It costs a lot more $$$$ to have all that power at hand and to be able to use it. :laughing:

/ Kubota M8540 #20  

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Yes, it is hair splitting as the Cat I/II capability is meaningless as it is the power/weight of the tractor that determines the appropriate implement, not the type of hitch on the tractor.