Kubota M8540

/ Kubota M8540 #1  

ColoradoDan

Bronze Member
It was suggested on the other thread I started ("7040 Questions") that I start a thread pertaining to the M8540. I have decided that the M8540 is the tractor I would like to pursue in the Kubota line because of some of the extra features and added horsepower.

Over the next few days I will try to get some pricing from my local dealer. I will have him quote me a package with 12x12 transmission, cab, 4wd, regular FEL, 2 remotes, and cast rear wheels.

I will also have him quote me an "upgraded" package with the hydraulic self leveling FEL, a third rear remote, and a remote for the loader. Some people have highly recommended these options so I will compare the pricing to see if it makes sense. I will also spend some time looking at implements and their applications for my property to decide if it is worth the extra investment.

I appreciate everyone's help during this process. I have learned a ton and have much more still to learn.

If anyone has any other recommendations or insight, I would love to hear them. Also, I plan on getting a rear blade for snow and road maintenance soon after the purchase or maybe at the same time. I also plan on getting a brush hog soon after. If anyone wants to chime in on these items I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dan

/ Kubota M8540 #2  
Please keep in mind that the following is based upon my uses, yours may differ:

If I were to rank in order of my use:

1. FEL 3rd circuit: used every day

2. Rear 3 remotes: if I had them I would used them every day in the winter for snowblowing (I run a snowplow in the front and a 7 foot blower in the rear)

Right now, I have to get out, kick myself, adjust the chute and/or discharge, kick myself, get back in, keep working. I also repeat the same process for a Road Boss grader in the summer for not having TnT.

3. Self-leveling bucket. Its a nice to have, but if one maintains situational awareness, no big deal to not have it.

I do not know if the Colorado in your posts means snow clearing. If it does, the attachments for snow clearing work much better with items 1 & 2.

/ Kubota M8540 #3  
I bought my M8540HD12-1 a few months ago. It is a ROPS with the following options:

12-speed Hydraulic Shuttle (the 12 speed also comes with the high-lift-capacity 3ph)
FEL with 3rd function valve (FEL hydraulic remote)
Self leveling valve
Rear light
Wheel weights (R4s)

The 12-speed must be configured from the factory, but the 3rd function valve and self leveling valve can be purchased and installed after the fact. I actually installed my 3rd function valve myself. The self leveling valve is just that, a valve. The FEL is not different in any way for the self leveling. I say this so you can save money if you don't have an immediate need for these two options. You don't screw yourself if you don't buy them factory installed.

If you are doing R1s, I would really suggest getting the cast iron wheels. Forgo one or more of the options I mentioned above (unless you need them right away) and get the cast iron wheels. You can add wheel weights to the cast iron wheels if you need to.

My signature has all of my "stuff" and options. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I researched for about a year before I bought my machine. Studied TBN and read Kubota's website inside and out. Went to my dealer probably a hundred times, asked questions and read all of the brochures. I am SOOO glad I got the machine I did.

/ Kubota M8540
Well, I have looked into the options that some have recommended. To add a FEL hydraulic remote, a third rear remote, and the self leveling loader the additional cost will be about $2200.

I need to decide if that money will be well spent or not.

My primary uses: maintaining gravel driveway, snow removal in winter, and haying. There are many small projects that are planned along with basic property maintenance. I will most likely build some fences, start a small orchard, start a good size garden, build a chicken coop, build a small barn/corral and create a road for my four wheeler between my irrigation pipe and the barb wire fence in order to irrigate much more efficiently (I have to walk a lot right now:(). I'm sure there's other things, these are just the projects that I have lined up right now.

My wife is starting to realize that more time spent on TBN means more money that will be spent on the tractor. I might be banned from this site soon:D.

/ Kubota M8540 #5  
Good luck in your search for the "right" features, I received a lot of good advice from Rjkobbmen, Bulldogger, Bake321, Builder and others.

I have only had it three months and really like it, but that is not enough time to give a definitive list of needed options for your situation.

/ Kubota M8540 #6  
Well, I have looked into the options that some have recommended. To add a FEL hydraulic remote, a third rear remote, and the self leveling loader the additional cost will be about $2200.

I need to decide if that money will be well spent or not.

My primary uses: maintaining gravel driveway, snow removal in winter, and haying. There are many small projects that are planned along with basic property maintenance. I will most likely build some fences, start a small orchard, start a good size garden, build a chicken coop, build a small barn/corral and create a road for my four wheeler between my irrigation pipe and the barb wire fence in order to irrigate much more efficiently (I have to walk a lot right now:(). I'm sure there's other things, these are just the projects that I have lined up right now.

My wife is starting to realize that more time spent on TBN means more money that will be spent on the tractor. I might be banned from this site soon:D.

Dan, none of my business, but for $2200 I think that you would be foolish to not get them, that's not much when you look at how much your going to be spending. Others that have said that you don't need them, they are absolutely right, you don't, but man are they nice to have. Those same 3 items cost me $2k over 5 years ago.

As far as a rear blade, don't even bother looking at any that do not at least have 3 hydraulics as an option. They are to light duty and your tractor will bend them, even if you are careful. I was naive when I bought my first rear blade, it seemed like it was pretty heavy duty, 680lbs I think. Well my 9000lb tractor bent it the very first time that I used it. :shocked: I continued to use it for 2 years and the moldboard itself slowly straighted out and has curved backwards from the loads that my larger heavier tractor is able to put on it. Ended up with a Land Pride RBT45108 blade that is rated for a 15,000lb 125hp tractor. Now this is over kill for my current 12,000lb tractor, but the next size down is only rated for a 9500lb machine and probably would have been ok, but I just did not want to take any chances. I purchased my LP rear blade 3 years ago I think, with no hydraulics and it was $3600 if I remember correctly. I currently only have an angle hydraulic mounted on it, I have the offset hydraulic, but have not got around to adding a 4Th rear remote. :ashamed: :eek:

/ Kubota M8540 #7  
The question remains, why spend money on something you don't need and won't use.

/ Kubota M8540 #8  
The question remains, why spend money on something you don't need and won't use.

While I agree that if any of these options are worthless if they are never used and why speed the money, I have a feeling that in Dan's circumstances he will use each and every one of them sometime during his ownership and one they do get used they will be used much more often.

I know that if I were in Dan's shoes I for sure would want all of the remotes that we have talked about and I would use them with the grapple that I would have for cleaning up around the property and for the rear blade that I would have for working the road. Either all 3 for 3 hydraulics on the blade itself or 2 for "TnT" and 1 for angling the rear blade as I currently have on my own tractor. As far as the self leveling loader, no reason to have it other than it sure is easy to deal with pallets when your loading and unloading. Don't have to think about continually adjusting the loader bucket while raising and lowering so that you don't spill the load. As I have said in agreeing with you, none of these things are needed, but they sure are nice to have, especially when the circumstance arises when that option would have been nice to have.

If money is tight, then don't get the options that are easy to put on latter. If not, then get them all now when it is the most convenient.

Just my opinion, obviously others vary. ;)

/ Kubota M8540
Thanks for the discussion guys. My local dealer has been incredibly slow and not really motivated during this process:mad:. I am still waiting on his latest quote. I think I'm close to pulling the trigger since I have received other quotes. I'm just about done waiting on my local guy.
I haven't decided if I want to spend the money to get all of the upgrades. I keep going back and forth. We'll see.
I will keep you updated. If I get the quotes I'm waiting on today then we will be close to a decision.

I need to start playing with my new toy:D.

/ Kubota M8540 #10  
Dan, have you checked with Barlows. They will deliver any distance and I believe that they probably will have the best price. Just mentioning it if your going to buy out of town anyway, might as well get a killer price. :thumbsup:

A search for them will get you their info. ;)