Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    1970 IH 856

Default Re: Taking home a L4150 for test drive

I can't say that I've ever owned a piece of equipment that had the same oil pressure at idle as it does at say.. 2500rpm. FWIW, this tractor does not have an oil pressure gauge on it just an 'idiot' light and it never came on I have not performed any actual oil pressure tests, all previous statements about oil pressure were from past experience with automobiles and older tractors.

I think I get that hobbs meter issue now.. I was confused by the PTO hour statement. I thought you were saying only when the PTO was engaged but you mean 'actual revolutions' of the motor..
    1hr is 1hr
    1hr @ 1500 rpms is ( 90,000 revolutions)
    1hr @ 2500 rpms is (150,000 revolutions)
    1hr @ 3000 rpms is (180,000 revolutions)

So at my house comparisons would be my lawnmower and my IH856
    The mower has a 12v "hour meter" that only monitors how many hours the key has been left on (not even that the engine was running). The tractor by comparison has a tachometer cable that screws into the motor and records actual revolutions and translates those into hours on the hour meter (mechanically).

after seeing the light, I agree hobbs wins!

Regarding the hours on the tractor and the temperature. At this time it is not concerning. Under 'normal' use like dragging the pasture, moving heavy stuff, augering holes the gauge never went above halfway. The overflow tank did not have any significant level increas/decrease and the radiator is full to the top (which doesn't rule out a head gasket or head problem but significantly reduced the likelyhood)

Before I would get concerned I'd go through some basic maintenance steps
    1. change thermostat
    2. pressure wash external passages on radiator
    3. have the radiator 'rodded'

Also on the topic of cooling there is evidence that this tractor suffered catastrophic waterpump failure (white residue all over the right wide of the front axle) and a new waterpump. The thermostat has also been replaced and there is tons of silicone squished out the side but it looks like an older repair than the waterpump (which looks clean and a different color of silicone). If I had to guess, they were probably getting cavitation at the waterpump as a bearing was going bad and the owner replaced he thermostat to control the temperatures, then the waterpump went south.. and now there could be 'foreign' material in the cooling system. But that's all speculation.

I also speculate that the previous owner (PO) traded it in because the hydraulic pump is getting weak. When cold it will lift both the 3pt (with implement) and the loader without any problem. However once it gets to operating temperature you must have the engine running 1500rpms or more to use the loader.. Below 1500 it will not lift the loader or the 3pt. The PO used this tractor heavily for it's loader capacity, he added teeth to the bucket and fabricated a grapple, the salesman said that the PO was a farmer.

-ron

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3316HST

I can't speak with authority on tractors, but I can say that a Hobbs meter in an airplane is 1 hour = 1 hour, regardless of engine speed. If the hour depends on engine speed, it's a tach meter (tach hours), not a Hobbs meter.

Like I said, I don't know if tractors are different, but that's my experience with airplanes (and I'm a flight instructor).

Tractor
    Kubota M8540HD-12 2010

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDave View Post
    I can't speak with authority on tractors, but I can say that a Hobbs meter in an airplane is 1 hour = 1 hour, regardless of engine speed. If the hour depends on engine speed, it's a tach meter (tach hours), not a Hobbs meter.

Like I said, I don't know if tractors are different, but that's my experience with airplanes (and I'm a flight instructor).
    Good explanation. Also, welcome to TBN.

This thread caused me to search and read this: Hobbs meter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I learn something new every day...

Seems some are confusing the term with the implementation.
    M8540HD12-1, R4s, Weights, 2 Remotes, Rear Lights, Down Exhaust
    LA1353 FEL, QA 72" Bucket, Self Leveling Valve, 3rd Function Remote
    CCM Category II Hydraulic Toplink
    QA 48" Pallet Forks
    M8180 Ballast Box with concrete
    LP QH-20 Quick Hitch
    LP RCR2672 6' Rotary Cutter
    LP GS2596 8' Grading Scraper
    BAC BG-10 Post/Tree Puller

BX2370RV60-1, R4s, 60" Mower, Loader Valve
    LP QH05 Quick Hitch
    Rear Remotes
    40 gallon 3ph sprayer
    Subsoiler with wire spool provision

Tractor
    Push mower, Snapper 21" 6 shovels, 2 rakes, a pick, 2 pinch bars, a post hole digger (two handle type) and 2 wheel barrows that handle like a Porsche.

Thanks for clarifying that Dave, I had it stuck in my head perhaps from back when I was taking flying lessons. My flight lessons were after work so all my landings were night landings. So a Hobbs is basically an hour meter.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDave View Post

Tractor
    1986 Kubota L3750

Ron,

I have a L3750 which is the next smaller version of the L4150. These are part of three models (L3350, L3750 and L4150) that were the beginning of the L3 series that some have called "near industrial" in design and build quality. They were often used in rental yards because they hold up very well. You can find many threads on these if you search this forum. They are relatively heavy and have remarkable capability for their size. I love mine!

The hydraulic shuttle on the tractor you're looking at requires hydraulic pressure to maintain clutch holding power. Because of this, when left in gear and the engine is turned off, it will roll unless you set the parking brake or anchor it by dropping the loader bucket or an implement. Back to the issue you had, I seem to recall seeing a couple of posts here about the L4150 having an oil pickup tube placement issue where it is overly sensitive to oil level. You should check the oil level on the side of the transmission case and then search for those posts to get the details on the issue. I seem to recall that once the owners got used to managing the oil level, they had no issues, but please check for yourself and don't rely on my memory.

As for the speed of the hydraulics, some of these models had a second pump mounted in front of the radiator and some don't (mine doesn't). Without it, the loader will be much slower, but just as strong. I'm guessing that the one you're looking at probably does not have the front pump.

These models had a factory option of a single or dual rear remote. These remotes, along with all the 'options' are no longer in production unless you get lucky and find them on the shelf somewhere (kubota has no nationwide parts search). I've looked around and had no luck finding any. You can add hydraulic remote capacity to this open center system easily though using aftermarket parts. There are many threads on this site about that as well. Other than the 'options', parts are readily available.

On operating temperature, you're on the right track. If it comes to it, replacement radiators are available.

One common issue is oil leaks from the front axle at the hubs. These can be repaired by a do-it-yourselfer and the process is well documented in a thread on this site including details on an updated seal. This should not be an issue for you since the dealer went through the axle, however it is good to know. On repairs, there are few major repairs for these models documented on this site because they are typically very reliable.

By the way, the L4150 is factory rated for only up to a 70" rotary tiller so the 96" one you successfully ran speaks to the capability I mentioned earlier.

If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of this website due to the knowledgeable and helpful folks here. It is time I paid some of that back and I hope this helps you.

Good luck!!

Tractor
    all makes and models

The hour meters on the L-4150 work the same as on your 856 tractor. We have found them to be short about 1/3 the hours of a normal hour per hour meter that most major companies are using now.

Tractor
    1970 IH 856

Thanks for the responses.. I'll have to look for that oil level check location on the side of the transmission. The only one I saw was a dipstick in the middle of the platform. I've seen a couple l4150's for sale for 'parts', I wonder how hard it would be to locate a secondary hydraulic pump and external hydraulic control? From the factory do these tractors have a single hydraulic pump for everything? That is how it seems to me but others have said they have multiple.

Good to know about the rating (70" vs 96") did that come from the manufacturers information or is that more of a general rule for tractors of this size? The main reason I used the 8ft rototiller was because that is what the neighbor had to loan me. When it comes time for me to buy my own I'll get something smaller like a 5 or 6ft unit. One of the main reasons I wanted to use the larger tiller was that currently I have an 8ft McKee dual stage/dual auger snow blower. The snow we get here is extremely dry and fluffy none of that wet soggy stuff from other parts of the country, I figure any tractor that can use an 8ft snowblower in 80f degree weather will be just fine using an 8ft snow blower at -25f for 30 minutes..

And that last statement about the hour meter being off 1/3rd hour is interesting.. I read that to mean if the tractor reads 1000hrs it really should be showing 1300? (or in this case it shows 3660 and you are saying it should be showing 4990)

It doesn't really matter anyhow (hours) because the motor runs strong and does not smoke blue (just black when it is working hard)

I'll have to find the dimensions for this tractor (how narrow can I make it), I've got an area that is 60" wide and I'd like to be able to use this tractor for rototilling in there if possible. Currently the neighbor has been taking care of it for me with a New Holland (AWD/Loader/SCUT) and a 48" rototiller.

Thanks,
    -ron

Tractor
    1986 Kubota L3750

Ron,

My oil level location comment above is a brain fart on my part. My former tractor had an indicator on the side, my L3750 has a dipstick in the top of the transmision between your legs where you sit as an operator.

The tiller spec I mentioned is from kubota. See the attached for more info. You'll find dimensions there as well and I think 67" is as narrow as you can go.

By the way, I run a 60" Howard HR-30 that weighs over a thousand pounds and it tills like a dream. My L3750 runs it with no problem.

Happy shopping!

Kubota L3350-L3750-L4150 Specs and Dims.pdf

Kubota L3350-L3750-L4150 Implement Limitations.pdf

The hourmeter is calibrated for 540 PTO speed. So if the 540 PTO speed is 2400 RPM and you run the tractor at that RPM for an hour the hourmeter will read one hour. If you run the tractor at 1200 RPM it will read half an hour and so on. The thinking behind this is that at lower RPMs there is less load and less wear, at higher RPMs you are likely working the machine harder thus more wear.

Brian

Tractor
    L4150DT

L4150DT owner just checking in. I purchased this tractor with 1700 hours on it, full fluid check and new filters all around. I now have almost 1900 hours on it and have nothing new to report. Last winter I rebuilt the right bevel gear housing. THE REASON FOR MY EVEN POSTING THIS....

Get the workshop manual. It will become an integral part of your ownership. Not that it breaks, but working on them is just part of it. Hope to read more on your future.

FYI, last winter I also pulled out radiator, boiled and painted, really made a big difference on cooling. You won't be disappointed. One pump hydraulics, nearly bulletproof.

Good Luck
    It's not the years darlin',....it's the mileage...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast