Buying Advice Ballast Box vs Wheel Weights vs Filled Tires

/ Ballast Box vs Wheel Weights vs Filled Tires #1  

Diavolicchio

Tractor
2010 Kubota B3030HSDC
Hey folks,

Yes, I meant filled TIRES, but I didn't catch it until too late.

I'm soon to be buying my first tractor for a young farm and orchard I've got underway here in Maine. I've decided to go with a 2010 Kubota B3030HSTC, but I need some advice about how best to weigh down the back of it when I'm using the front loader for heavy lifting. I'm also dealing with the additional challenge of storage space for the tractor.

I've got a long, narrow garage being built that will have about 14' of depth at the front of it to accommodate the tractor with the front loader mounted (see diagram below.) The dealer measured the model I'm interested in and said it will require 12'2" with the front loader attached. He also suggested that a add a ballast box on the back to counter-balance the tractor when I'm using the front loader.

I don't believe I'm going to have the additional space in my garage to accommodate the tractor with both the front loader and ballast box attached, so I wanted to hear people's thoughts on going with wheel weights or overfilling the tires to help achieve the same thing. Will they achieve the same results as a ballast box? Would I need to do both?

Here's a basic diagram of the garage, so you can see the space constraints I'm trying to work around:

Garage_Apt_2b_old.jpg

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

John

Last edited:
   / Ballast Box vs Wheel Weights vs Filled Tires #2  
Re: Ballast Box vs Wheel Weights vs Filled Tired

Ballasted tires are NOT a substitute for rear weight on the 3PH. You need the weight behind the rear axle to properly take weight off of the front axle. Think of it like a see-saw where you want the rear tires to be the fulcrum point.

Get some type of QH for your 3PH if you can't keep the weight attached.

/ Ballast Box vs Wheel Weights vs Filled Tires #3  

I have had liquid filled tires and a ballest box. I like the ballest box because you can remove the extra weight when you don't need it. I also got one flat with filled tires, what a mess. Philip.

Attachments

• DSCN4667.JPG
    DSCN4667.JPG
    959.4 KB · Views: 2,085
   / Ballast Box vs Wheel Weights vs Filled Tires #4  

I've always used a boxblade or tiller for rear weight. They provide the weight and the boxblade is one of the most versatile implements made for a tractor. Weight with a purpose and not just weight for weight. I've usually filled tires on B and bigger tractors for weight on the footprint for traction and stability. Make sure your tire weight filler is freezeproof, like antifreeze.

/ Ballast Box vs Wheel Weights vs Filled Tires #5  

Ballasted tires are NOT a substitute for rear weight on the 3PH.
I agree 100% with Kenny on this. The ability to unload your front axle will help you prevent damage to that vital component.

The frequency of broken & leaking front axle threads on this forum seems to be an indicator that the front axle is one of our compact utility tractor's greatest weaknesses. So far, I have done fine with appropriate 3PH ballast and without loaded tires, but I haven't been doing much work on large slopes. 3PH ballast is very easy to adjust to the particular task you are doing.

What will you be using your tractor for?

-Jim

/ Ballast Box vs Wheel Weights vs Filled Tires #6  

I have never used a B3030, but I have never found loaded tires or wheel weights alone on my tractors from 22 to 85 HP to provide enough counter weight to get the full use of a FEL. I have operated them sans 3-point counter weight, but I certainly don't recommend it.

You can however put enough weight on your 3-point to operate effectively. I personally prefer both.

/ Ballast Box vs Wheel Weights vs Filled Tires #7  

You need both. My 3pt ballast is home-made 55 gal drum and only sticks out behind the 3 pt maybe 15 inches? I dont have an exact measurement, but it is not much. You might be able to get away with using something like that. Mine weighs about 750 lbs. Makes a lot of difference, and so do the loaded tires. When you rotary cutter is on, you want the loaded tires to help with stability on slopes, and when you have your ballast on, it unloads the front axle when you are lifting heavy loads with the FEL. Beside if you dont have weight on the back, using the FEL is scarey, and very ineffiecient, lots of wheel spin, and very tippy. If your ballast wont fit, you can take it off each time. I have the Carter quick hitch devices, pretty cheap and they work well. And they do not extend your lower link length any. They hitch up on the top of the lower links, in line with the original ball's. So your lower link hitch point is higher not longer, and your original PTO length should be ok.
James K0UA

/ Ballast Box vs Wheel Weights vs Filled Tires #8  

I have weights on the wheels but when doing serious lifting I also put on the 3pt ballast.

M.D.

Attachments

• ballast.JPG
    ballast.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 2,882
  • ww1.JPG
    ww1.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 889
  • ww2.JPG
    ww2.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,560
   / Ballast Box vs Wheel Weights vs Filled Tires #9  

If I were faced with the challenge, I'd see if the following would work with the space and situation available.

1. fill rear tires with fluid that won't freeze
  2. have quick attach on FEL
  3. store bucket outside, won't hurt it, easy on, easy off
  4. when garaged, FEL can be raised saving space, make a block for cylinders to rest on so hyd pressure can be relieved while FEL is raised
  5. leave box blade on rear as weight, handy tool to own, can construct a platform on it to carry tools, chains, further weight.
Note, I fear that your space will be so tight that it'll be difficult to work in there or get supplies with both vehicles inside, but I know that sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.:)

/ Ballast Box vs Wheel Weights vs Filled Tires #10  

Personally, I would have added another foot to the planned garage, Because, when I have my tiller attached it becomes very close to garage door. That extra foot would have been nice. I also like the idea of the roll of concrete for a ballast box, with the quick connects.jy