Buying Advice BX1850?

/ BX1850? #1  

Vonniewabbit

Tractor
Bx1850
Hello everyone. New to the tractor world, but age and over 18 years of military service have shown me the value of having the right tools for the right job and listening to experience when you have little or none.

Situation: I own .6 acres in rural Olympia, Wa. and just invested about $2,000 into recovering a ravine/slope in my yard w/almost 700 yards of fill and topsoil. This makes my property almost 2/3 useable lawn/property. The remaining 1/3 remains to be cleared or reclaimed slope. I am intently searching for a subcompact tractor and have happened upon a Kubota BX1850 w/ less than 200 hrs. It has the loader, MMM, and tiller w/turf tires All items are factory Kubota implements and in like new condition. The price is $9,000. delivered. What questions should I be asking the seller to insure I get a quality reasonably trouble free tractor?

I believe this size is perfect for my situation and will handle my projects perfectly. I will only need a box blade and maybe a few other implements for future expansion, however my friend owns a Kioti w/all the implements I am looking for. Hence the recent desire to own my own tractor. From my limited research this size is perfect, and has everything I want and need to buy. As stated previously, I can borrow the others I may need, to include a chipper. Can this model handle a chipper? Not a deal breaker, just nice to know if it will handle it. As well, will it handle a backhoe attachment? And if so, what size will it handle? I have about 10 stumps i would like to dig up and grind off. Anyways, input would be greatly appreciated from your experiences. Just to reiterate, I don't absolutely need to use it for a backhoe or chipper, I can rent those items if needed, just nice to know what it will handle for future expansion. Primary use will be mowing, earth moving (small amounts) and brush clearing, and needs to fit through my gate. Thank you all.

/ BX1850? #2  
I hate to say this, but with 0.6 acres wouldn't the $9,000 be plenty to hire it out or rent some equipment?

/ BX1850? #3  
With .6 acres, you will need a mower and a BX1850 will be an excellent and reliable mower for 20 years, unlike box store mowers.

The attachments and implements are a bonus.

/ BX1850?
Well if it wasn't that I am looking to expand the amount of yard I have, which means lots of clearing, dirt moving and other projects I probably wouldn't consider this much tractor. Plus, I am looking for something I can get my wife to use so we can enjoy working our property together. Something not very intimidating so I can show her how fun it is to drive and operate tractors. Plus, we have lots of little projects that would make it nice. Really, since I am going to buy a riding mower anyways, why not have the ease of doing my other projects without the hassle of renting. I will spend every bit of money saved by going with a cheaper rider on rental fees for the right equipment to do my jobs. Plus, with western Washington weather like it is, you have to take full advantage of nice days when they come.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not apposed to push mowing my property, I just would like to have the ease of having my own equipment when needed. Besides, I have the wife's blessing to get a play toy, what more could a man want. I agree however, anything bigger would be a waste of money. I'm no spring chicken and any mechanical help i can get I will take. Plus my time with family is important, so cutting project times is a bonus. I appreciate the input.

/ BX1850? #5  
BX1850 is a great little tractor. SCUT. The BH for one will be very expensive and they are great for digging small holes or even digging big holes with lots of time. Not great for digging stumps that are very big or have deep roots.
The 50 series tractors have an abrupt stop in reverse which was bad enough for me to trade mine off in a few months. Try it and see how bad it is for you. Level forward motion movement is fine, it's the lots of backing up that's the problem.

/ BX1850? #6  
Well if it wasn't that I am looking to expand the amount of yard I have, which means lots of clearing, dirt moving and other projects I probably wouldn't consider this much tractor. Plus, I am looking for something I can get my wife to use so we can enjoy working our property together. Something not very intimidating so I can show her how fun it is to drive and operate tractors. Plus, we have lots of little projects that would make it nice. Really, since I am going to buy a riding mower anyways, why not have the ease of doing my other projects without the hassle of renting. I will spend every bit of money saved by going with a cheaper rider on rental fees for the right equipment to do my jobs. Plus, with western Washington weather like it is, you have to take full advantage of nice days when they come.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not apposed to push mowing my property, I just would like to have the ease of having my own equipment when needed. Besides, I have the wife's blessing to get a play toy, what more could a man want. I agree however, anything bigger would be a waste of money. I'm no spring chicken and any mechanical help i can get I will take. Plus my time with family is important, so cutting project times is a bonus. I appreciate the input.
If you can afford a SCUT, buy one and save the body. They also allow one to do landscaping for fun and help pass time with a smile. I bought my first one about 7 years ago and enjoyed my life time mower (which is what I bought it to be) so much I've signed Kubota purchase contracts 10 more times since then. They are tractors that mow and so much more.

/ BX1850? #7  
I support the purchase. My home sits on .385 acres and I sold my BX1500 with a loader/mower to purchase a BX25. Toys are a luxury and if you can afford the purchase, it is one that will last years with proper maintenance.

/ BX1850? #9  
Barlow's has a 2010 BX1860 with a loader and 54" deck and 15 hrs free delivery within 500 miles for $10,900 or best offer.

/ BX1850? #10  
You have gotten great advice from the guys. I will just add my 2 cents FWIW.

I am a HUGE BX fan and a big fan of the 18 hp version. It is stout. It'll do everything you could ask of it without a whimper. As for chipping, it only has 13 PTO horse power, so don't buy too large of chipper and don't expect to chip sticks much larger than 1.5 inches.

9K for that 200 hour unit is close to top dollar, imho. Not that the 50 series isn't a great machine, it simply has the plastic body and abrupt stopping. But... typically, that creates a bit more of a reduction on re-sale, according to my observation.

You obviously have not considered a new one? Zero down, zero interest. However, it would cost you $11,900. give or take, depending on your bargaining skills. That's about $200 a month and you keep your $9K and, with interest earned, that would make all your payments!! :laughing::laughing:

That unit? Zero warranty. A new unit? 1 year on everything, 3 years on power train. That too should be weighed out in this decision.