Buying Advice Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it...

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it...
What are cast wheels and radial tires, I hear people talking about them, but haven't been able to find out what the difference is.
Thanks!

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it... #32  
What are cast wheels and radial tires, I hear people talking about them, but haven't been able to find out what the difference is.
Thanks!

Difference is the cast wheels basically have a wheel weight built right into the wheel so they're heavier and the cast centers are stronger where the axle/hub flange bolts attach to the wheels. Radials are better because generally they are a rounder, better quality tire and do not require a tube. :thumbsup:

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it... #33  
Thanks!

Don't know if this is what you meant but "cast wheels" are heavy rims that the tires are mounted on. Steel wheels are made of thinner metal and weigh much less that cast. As Builder stated, they are made to increase downforce on the rear tires - like filled tires. Cast and filled would be a real load.

Radial tires vs. bias ply tires are really only a big deal in higher speed applications. The radial tires flex more in the sidewall to keep the tread on the ground in turns - not that you take too many turns at warp speed on the tractor. Some people like them, some people hate them. A search on this site will bring up several hits.

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it... #34  
Thanks!

Money. :D I think that when these guys are talking about cast wheels it is really only cast centers, (not wheel weights) but I may be wrong about that. I don't think that Kubota is going to offer radial R4 tires either, but again I may very well be wrong.

Something else to check on if you think that you may be interested.;)

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it... #35  
Money. :D I think that when these guys are talking about cast wheels it is really only cast centers, (not wheel weights) but I may be wrong about that. I don't think that Kubota is going to offer radial R4 tires either, but again I may very well be wrong.

Something else to check on if you think that you may be interested.;)

The availability can be checked on the build feature of their web page.

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it... #36  
Difference is the cast wheels basically have a wheel weight built right into the wheel so they're heavier and the cast centers are stronger where the axle/hub flange bolts attach to the wheels. Radials are better because generally they are a rounder, better quality tire and do not require a tube. :thumbsup:

I was not aware that bias ply tires require a tube. I have 4 tractors (16 tires) and I believe that not one of them have a tube in them. :confused3:

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it... #37  
The 7040 does have different dia AG's available. I got the tallest tires, but wish I had the cast center wheels. I'm no longer a fan of filled tires.

I am a huge fan of filled tires, but would agree with you that a person that has to work in certain sometimes unknown conditions (as you do) probably should not have them.:(

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it... #39  
I am a huge fan of filled tires, but would agree with you that a person that has to work in certain sometimes unknown conditions (as you do) probably should not have them.:(

I am too, until you run over a piece of barbed wire fence, puncture the tire and the tube and start leaking expensive rim gaurd all over the place. :mad:

Tire man had to drain all rim gaurd into reservoir, pull tire off rim, pull tube out of tire, replace tube, put back in tire, reseat tire bead, refill with rim gaurd. $300 bucks. Safer bet for that kind of repair bill is a radial tire on a solid weighted rim, at least for flats out in the middle of nowhere. I like the way liquid ballasts the tire better, though.

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it... #40  
To fill mine with rim gaurd, tubes were required.

I have had liquid ballast in one or more of my tractors for the last 10 years. No flats, no tubes.:thumbsup:

What was the reason that your tire guy required tubes? I've heard that guys wanted tubes for CC, but other than that what would the reason be?:confused3: I'm thinking that someone was take advantage of. :(

As far as your flat, another reason to have 8 or 10 ply tires. I have been through lots of barbed wire, burned sticks which are like purpose made puncture weapons, no flats yet. I have 10 ply tires.:thumbsup: Of course now I'll get a flat the next time out, :laughing: so I might be eating my words sometime soon. :eek: