Buying Advice Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it...

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it... #1  

budcampo

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3600
I have been looking into the M7040 for a few weeks now, it seems like the best tractor for my work. I do a lot of weedabatement, debris and tree removal stuff, and I also do dirt work here and there.

I have a L3600 right now that I will sell and put towards the new one. The problems I have had with the L3600 I'll list, things I want to avoid with the new one.
Overheating due to rapid clogging of the radiator while mowing (constantly blowing it off with a leaf blower, and washing it on a daily basis.)
Damage from debris coming from below to radiator, fan, oil filter, etc. Any kind of Armor availible?
Damage to the body of the engine compartment on sides and top. Armor question again?
Front tires going flat while carrying heavy bucket loads on slopes.

So advice on what to do on the M7040 that might make those problems go away?

This is the set up I'm thinking about, advice on some gizmo/attachment I'm forgetting, anything you got :)

M7040HD-1

Optional Valves - 3 remote valves
Downexhaust Pipe w/ spark arrester
Grill Guard
Loader
4 in 1 Loader Bucket
Third Function Control Valve
Single Lever Value Hose Quick Coupler
Backhoe Type - 11' Digging Depth w/ aux
Backhoe Bucket
Backhoe Stabilizer Cylinder Cover
Backhoe Quick Coupler
Rubber Stabilizer Flip Pad
Backhoe Thumb
Tortella flail mower
JD Grapple Bucket

Any recomendations on a good gannon with rippers for this setup?

Also, I'd like to get the quick attach set up in this video
YouTube - Kubota M7040
instead of the 3 point quick attach set up. I can't find those anywhere, anyone used them, like them? The video is in german, but you can see what I'm talking about.

I know that's a lot, but thanks in advance :D

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it... #2  
The quick attach in the video is very similar to the Pat's system. It is sold here on TBN in the Attachments section - see the sticky.

Not too sure about the backhoe set up. I considered it but for the price (well - close) was able to pick up a used L48. The M7040 seemed too tall and without the hydraulic output that can be had with a BH-dedicated machine.

The emphasis on armor may be a bit excessive. These tractors are made to hold up and are fairly bulletproof as is. Much of my work is the same as yours and there have been no problems. The grill guard does have a bend in it from a tree removal but that is why it is there.

If by a "gannon" you mean a box blade/scraper, I have a 88" Gannon 4G4 that works great. The hydraulics of a Top & Tilt would work well with it but a T&T is not included in your list. A T&T is very useful if you intend to plow as well.

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it... #3  
We have an M8540 which is pretty similar to the M7040 and agree with GW, no real need for armor; don't know much about the other stuff.

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it...
Got it ordered, pretty excited. I did not get the backhoe yet, it was around $17,000 with the frame installed... I'm thinking of maybe getting a used Kubota mini excavator instead, what do you guys think. I can't convince myself that $17,000 is worth it.

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it... #5  
Got it ordered, pretty excited. I did not get the backhoe yet, it was around $17,000 with the frame installed... I'm thinking of maybe getting a used Kubota mini excavator instead, what do you guys think. I can't convince myself that $17,000 is worth it.

You are right. Good choice. Get a dedicated digging machine. You won't regret it.

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it... #6  
Congratulations on your M7040. Don't forget to post pics when you get it. :thumbsup:

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it... #7  
Any recomendations on a good gannon with rippers for this setup?

Since your in Calif, Gearmore is probably going to be your best bet. A real Gannon would be the best, but the Chino shop was closed up and now the Gannon's come from the Mid West.

http://www.gearmore.com/products/Pg75-79_2010.pdf scroll to the bottom, I would think that either a 4G4 or 4G5 series would be the best for you.

As far as a quick hitch, these are the best IMO Customer Testimonials on the Delta Hook Rapid 3 Point Hitch System

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it... #8  
Oops, my "gannon" is indeed a Gearmore 4G4.

Almost any tractor dealer in CA can get one. Your dealer may give you a break on the price since the tractor was just purchased there. An 88" model will cover the tire tracks.

The hydraulic rippers are a real convienince along with the Top & Tilt. You will need the three remotes to make it work.

Gearmore also sells a Cat 2 Top & Tilt kit. My dealer gave me a break and installed it for free when the tractor was purchased. The dealer has to custom make the hoses for a perfect fit.

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it...
Since your in Calif, Gearmore is probably going to be your best bet. A real Gannon would be the best, but the Chino shop was closed up and now the Gannon's come from the Mid West.

http://www.gearmore.com/products/Pg75-79_2010.pdf scroll to the bottom, I would think that either a 4G4 or 4G5 series would be the best for you.

As far as a quick hitch, these are the best IMO Customer Testimonials on the Delta Hook Rapid 3 Point Hitch System

Thank you for the response, I hadn't seen the Delta Hook attachment, that is exactly what I want, thanks for the info!!!

/ Kubota M7040, Think I'm gonna do it... #10  
I agree, top and tilt would be a great addition to your tractor.

Attachments

• PB040030.JPG
    PB040030.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 517