Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default never owned a tractor need help

I have never owned and tractor before but have always wanted one. I have been looking around and there are some many choices. I like the kubota and have looked at the B3300 and the l2800 up to L3700. I will be using to maintain about 2 acres of woods that is my yard no finish mowing. I also will use it at the hunting club to plant 10 food plots from .25 acre to 1 acre in size. Would like to be able to clear some roadsin the cutover and possibly make some of my food plots bigger. I know I want 4 x 4 and a bucket. I will also need a brush cutter and disc or tiller (which do yall recommend) and probably a box blade for my driveway. I guess the big thing is what size tractor and what kind of tires. This is a large investment and I don't want to over buy but I dont want to wish i had more later.
    Thanks for your help

Platinum Member

Default Re: never owned a tractor need help

For the 2 acres and the food plots something like a BX could be a good choice.

For clearing roads, the bigger the better.

You want R1 or R4 tires for this work. The only thing turf tires are good for is finish mowing.

Tractor
    currently own F3080 F2680e BX25D RTV1140

Unless you just want to sit higher off the ground the B will do all you've listed. Get the boxblade and tiller. Use either one for counter weight when using the FEL. Get HST if your going to be using FEL much. I like R4 (I4) tires but the ags probably give better traction if you need it but probably won't. If driving on pavement much the ags will wear quicker than R4's.
    2014 BX25D, 2008 F2680e 2WD 72" side Discharge Deck, 2012 F3080 4WD 72" rear discharge deck, 2010/2009 RTV1140CPX , RatchetRake, Forks, ...DEARBORN 2 BOTTOM PLOW 12" ?? FOR SALE $425 NOW $250).... Drawbar and Horse Drawn disk 13 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 13 Ford Flex. 1998 SLK230, 2009 Subaru Impreza Sport

Tractor
    Kubota

I believe you'll be happy with your kubota - regardless of which one you choose. What do you mean by 'maintain two acres of woods'?
    Feel free to visit my metal building thread here on TBN. Leave a comment or two

Honda CRF450
    Kawasaki Mule 610 4X4 XC
    Kubota M7040 HDC-1
    -Kubota LA 1153 FEL with 72" QA with Grill guard
    -Air ride seat
    -Cast iron rims, R1's - Loaded.
    -Two remotes (SCD & FD)
    -Land Pride RCR2672 6' Cutter
    -Land Pride MRL3572 6' Box scraper

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Without knowing your land and specific needs, I would strongly consider the Bxx30 Series. I don't really see anything to indicate the need for an L even though I really like them.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

Quote Originally Posted by TCarson17 View Post
    I have never owned and tractor before but have always wanted one.
    There will be a learning curve.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCarson17 View Post
    I like the kubota and have looked at the B3300 and the l2800 up to L3700. I will be using to maintain about 2 acres of woods that is my yard no finish mowing. I also will use it at the hunting club to plant 10 food plots from .25 acre to 1 acre in size. Would like to be able to clear some roadsin the cutover and possibly make some of my food plots bigger. I know I want 4 x 4 and a bucket. I will also need a brush cutter and disc or tiller (which do yall recommend) and probably a box blade for my driveway. I guess the big thing is what size tractor and what kind of tires. This is a large investment and I don't want to over buy but I dont want to wish i had more later.
    Thanks for your help
    Are the food plots cleared already?
    If you are calling this a large investment there's a tradeoff in wrenching skills versus cost. For the work you've listed I think my little B7610 would work. However a good used B7800 would probably be more appropriate. Barlows has a couple in the 12K price range,and they deliver all over.
    Tires - try to get Ag.
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all

SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer

Don't think you can go wrong with a kubota...

I've had my BX23 TLB and accomplished a lot with it...

One thing to consider is how you will transport should the need arise...

Heavier Equipment and implements dictates larger trailer and tow vehicle...

Thanks for the advice. The 2 acres would is essentially my yard and its more just trees than woods. Just some undergrowth to maintain and knock down ususally have to ge some to bush hog it a few times a year. The foods plots are established but I would,like to make some bigger. How long it takes its really not a big deal as the hunting proerty is next to the house. As far as transport I have access to a 16ft tandem axle trailer with tralier breaks and two 3500lb axles that i would use.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Yes, a 30 series B or small L series will suit you and your needs just fine. You won't find a huge price difference in the various models. But.....

When push comes to shove, however, and there is a $2000 difference between the two finalists? Do remember that a tractor is just an engine on wheels without the proper attachments. You must reserve some spending for the right equipment. Spend the last few grand on implements, not more horsepower. These diesels pull and horsepower is seldom used up, but traction is.

Since 90% of your work is in the dirt, consider going with R1-Ags, unless you are under stating your loader work time. Enjoy the adventure and be safe.
    There is indeed a learning curve.
    BP

"Some chickens, some gardens and a Kubota."

Tractor
    Kubota B2620

I have a B2620 and from what you described this tractor could handle those tasks. It would fit on your trailer nicely, and the weight isn't much. I would recommend the R-4's, they get good traction, and when the ground is muddy or soft they won't leave deep tread ruts. Someone with the AG tires can talk this but my R-4's can fling enough mud around I can imagine the AG tires would fling more. Be sure to get the tires filled with the antifreeze solution though which ever type you decide to get.

Good Luck with what ever you get, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast