Advice needed on possibly downsizing tractor. L5740 to B3030?

/ Advice needed on possibly downsizing tractor. L5740 to B3030? #1  

BANDAMAN

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 318
Very sadly, my dad lost his courageous battle with cancer recently. He fought hard, but what a terrible, terrible, relentless disease that he could not battle any longer. While dad was fighting and in the hospital, mom and dad purchased his dream machine, a brand new L5740 with all the goodies. We had taken delivery of it last summer and posted pictures of it at the hospital to help motivate him to get better and get home to some tractor therapy!

Luckily, dad was able to get home after 5 months in various hospitals and play a little with his new toy, but sadly not very long. This fine machine only has 11.2 hrs on it I beleive. Mom is a little bit intimidated by its size and power, and would rather have something smaller to use.

She plans to stay on the farm, although won't be doing much serious farm work. Just taking care of the 3 acre yard and driveways. She likes to mow with her GR2110 and haul stuff with the RTV800. Dad also bought a big Kubota commercial ZTR that he was able to mow with a bit this last summer. Not sure what she plans to do with that either.....yeah, they like Kubotas!

The L was optioned with the factory cab, a/c, heat, CD stereo, wipers, de-fogger, loader, quick attach bucket, pallet forks, rear aux hyd, and a Bison hyd angle rear blade.

I suggested to mom the B3030, becuase of its compact size and the mandatoy for her factory cab with a/c heat and stereo, etc. She would also get the loader and a backblade. this would allow her to plow the snow in a warm cab when needed and have the super useful loader for summer chores around the acreage. Perhaps she would even go with a belly mower to speed up the lawn mowing. We still do have some large IH tractors for the heavy stuff.

Any suggestions, comments, or advice? She has 0% interest on the L and a hefty monthly payment....I beleive the tractor was around $48,000 delivered, but I can't remember for sure....They traded in an IH 856 on it, so I think the loan is around $35,000. I think the B3030 would be about $15,000 less then the L5740 list, but not sure how the dealer will feel about taking the 11 hr machine in on trade.....heck, he could sell it at as a demo I guess. i hope he considers the situation and treats her well.....I think mom and dad bought over $80,000 worth of orange machines in the last two years from him.

Mom is not willing to get beat up too bad on the trade in, so she would either keep or sell it privately if the trade was not right.

Any other machines to consider? Thanks in advance for the suggestions, it is much appreciated.

Attachments

• Kubota L5740 3-29-10 006.jpg
    Kubota L5740 3-29-10 006.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 349
  • Kubota L5740 3-29-10 013.jpg
    Kubota L5740 3-29-10 013.jpg
    931 KB · Views: 323
   / Advice needed on possibly downsizing tractor. L5740 to B3030? #2  
The B3030 sounds like the right machine for your mother;I would hope the dealer will take care of her,such a low hour machine you are right I have seen demo's with a lot more hours.
Sorry for you father's passing,I lost mine a year ago today.
God speed

/ Advice needed on possibly downsizing tractor. L5740 to B3030? #3  
So sorry to hear about your dad, I lost mine to prostate cancer several years ago. His greatest joy in life was the 55 Ford 600 Series he bought new when we were farming.

The B3030 is as small as you can go and still have the factory cab option and it is a good tractor no doubt.

I discussed getting one for my wife this summer, but she LOVES her BX2660 and is comfortable driving our L5030. My approach was to just turn her loose in a big open field with the L5030 and after a few hours, she was trimming behind me while I was on the M8540. You might suggest this before trading as a few more hours on the tractor isn't going to matter.

While the B3030 is a nice tractor, you might consider the L3240 HSTC as the ride will probably be a little smoother and the cab may be more comfortable.

Absolutely nothing wrong with your original plan, just throwing stuff out there.

Again, my condolences. Larry

/ Advice needed on possibly downsizing tractor. L5740 to B3030? #4  
Sorry for your loss, my uncle just passed yesterday :/. That was a great thing getting that for him, And id have to imagine it would work out pretty darn close in trade.

/ Advice needed on possibly downsizing tractor. L5740 to B3030?
Thank you for the kind words and sympathies. My condolences go out to all of you who have also lost loved ones.

So are all the L's the same physical size? I keep up with the BX's, but don't know all the ins and outs of the bigger machines. I guess I thought that all the L's would be the same size, just had different options like engines, trans, etc.

Is the L3240 a smaller machine than the L5740 just without the turbo 59 hp motor and a smaller powerplant? If so, than that might also be an option.

I know the smaller and more convienent it is to use, the more mom will use it. The 5740 is awesome, but kinda like having a Harley Davidson Power Stroke diesel pickup to get groceries with.....just not really needed. :) The B3030 seems like it would be perfect for her, but I don't want her to give up too much in the way of creature comforts.

What kinds of options is she giving up by going from the L to the B?

Size and power is not the main thing to be concerned with. She won't be digging foundations or anything. I know even a BX would be great for her, but I want her to have the cab. (oh yea, me too, if I am moving snow for her, I get cold enough on my own BX when moving snow. :) )

If the cab on the B3030 is similar to the L, then she would be happy with that. The smaller size would be the bonus and also easier to store. I moved the L for her a few weeks ago to a machine shed closer to the house and it goes in the 8 foot door with 1/2" or so to spare. It won't fit in the 7' door on the garage attached to the house.

Anyone have a 7' garage door they are putting the B3030 in? I haven't checked dimensions on it yet.

/ Advice needed on possibly downsizing tractor. L5740 to B3030? #6  
Sorry to hear about your Dad. My deepest condolences. I lost my Dad about two years ago - after he suffered a couple years of Alzheimers/Dementia - hideous diseases! It wasn't easy for me through his suffering - it wasn't easy after his passing either. Hope you're ok!! To keep my mind off it we bought our kubota and some land too. Trying to do "other than work" stuff. He worked too much - only trying to provide for my brother and I - but nevertheless he never took on any type of hobby. Stay busy & keep your Mom busy too. Anyway, just wanted to take my mind off work and our other projects - hope everything works out with your situation. Hope you get plenty of money for that sweet tractor and also find another nice one to replace it. Sorry again.

/ Advice needed on possibly downsizing tractor. L5740 to B3030? #7  
Check with Argantina as he has a L3240 and Dieznutz has a B3030 the best I remember, you might also want t check the reviews section.

When we were looking for our next to last tractor, we started looking at the B Series as I always liked them, but then we saw the L3240 and we really liked it, but of course next to it was the L3540 then L3940 etc and we wound up with the used L5030 HSTC. Believe it or not, my wife really pushed for the L5030 even though I had settled on an L4240 HSTC.

In our shopping the L3240 and L3540 were smaller than the L3940 and up. I have trouble getting around and it was easier for me to get on and off, but I have adapted to the L5030 and M8540.

The L40 Series has the HSTC plus transmission while the B3030 does not; for some the stall guard and other features are really handy. The L40 Series has the Grand Cab which is larger than the B3030 with easier access and better visibility plus more room and I believe some have mentioned it is quieter.

I may be wrong on this as it has been a while since I looked at them, but hopefully someone who owns one of these will correct me if I am.

/ Advice needed on possibly downsizing tractor. L5740 to B3030? #8  
I have a l3540 loaded exactly like yours, it is I believe 2 frame sizes smaller than your 5740. I was also looking at a 3030 but decided it was very noisy inside the cab, seemed tippy and the L just had too many nice options and is definatly not too big too handle. Heck I use ours on 3 acres and love it! Hey if you still want to downsize I will trade you, mine has 20 hrs haha! Id love the turbo!:thumbsup:

/ Advice needed on possibly downsizing tractor. L5740 to B3030? #9  
As you're planning to do, I would check into whatever deal(s) your dealer may offer in trade ... but she looks just fine & comfy standing next to it. If the deal isn't right, I might suggest to her she just keep it & enjoy the Cadillac of tractors :thumbsup:

I'm not sure how much smaller a cabbed B3030 is really gonna to seem? Enough to matter? Maybe to her? I dunno.

/ Advice needed on possibly downsizing tractor. L5740 to B3030? #10  
Sorry to hear about your father. I lost mine to prostate cancer about six years ago. I couldn't make a guess on trade value, but I will highly recommend the B3030. Just a little food for thought too...... the B3030's replacement, the B3000, should be out any day now. Might be worth waiting a month or two since the 3030 will no longer be a current model??? If mom won't be intimidated by the size of the 32 or 3540, I think the cab is a bit quieter (more car-like) than the 3030. If she is anything like most women I know, she'd be much less intimidated in the 3030 though. It's a fantastic tractor for its size...... and very comfortable to operate. Nice and cool in summer heat, and warm enough to wear shorts in winter.