Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp?

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp?
I was considering upgrading to a B2400 which was available at the dealer near me, but upon inspection the machine with half my hours wasn't in nearly as good condition as my current machine. A snow blower is major overkill for my usual weather and likely a pain to use on 600ft of gravel driveway anyways.
If it cost less than $2000 to upgrade to a B2410 I'd jump on it, but none are available, so as an option I'm waiting to see how much the B7800 is in Canadian dollars. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif
Thanks for the advice though!
Warren

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #12  
Ok,...let's see here.... carry the one....
Ok! In Canadian Dollars, $230,000
/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #13  
Canuk
I would double check every option before changing. I also have a b1700 and have tried a friends 7500 while lending a hand. I did not notice a large increase in power, BUT I did notice the lack of position control while using a box blade. Some options not appreciated in the past will be missed when they are not there. The B1700 is a nicely out fitted unit.
Please notice I'm not trying to put anyones tractor down,this is just something I noticed. All tractors are better than none.

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #14  
Excellent point! I did not realize that you would be loosing features in the exchange for more power. That seems counterproductive...

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #15  
You are sure right about the position control on the 7500. I ended up with a very good dealer that that spent a lot of time and helped point out the differences to me. The first dealer I went to glossed some of them over and I think I would have ended up making the wrong choice. This was partly due to my lack of asking the right questions and missing a detail or two in the specs I suppose.

Other differences in the 2410 vs the 7500 are the live,continuous PTO, extra gallon of fuel tank, 250Lb more lift capacity on the 3PT, an extra 100Lb of tractor weight and, uh, more $$$.

I went with the 2410 over the 7500 mainly due to the position control though. Picking it up tomorrow. It is a very happy new year!

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #16  
welcome to the forum: am sure u will love the 2410. keep us posted.

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #17  
I think that lot's of people get the tractor sizing considerations backwards. I think that the best way to evaluate this is to first determine what are the smallest size implements that will do an acceptable job for your needs. Then, you will have answered the question of "what size tractor-HP do I need?" Remember, all tractors do the same thing, the larger ones just can handle larger implements.

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #18  
I think you hit the nail on the head. Some start out with the tractor rather than sitting down and figuring out everything they might want to do with a tractor. After they have that list, that will point them to the implements they need.

With the list of implements they can then see how much each weighs, how much PTO hp is needed, etc. With all that available, then you look at which tractors can handle the implements you eventually plan on buying. Eliminates a lot of future problems.

Looking at the big picture first always makes sense. I've always been amazed by how many folks will look at the GVW when buying a truck and the towing capabilities but will buy a tractor and then ask, "How big a thingie can I put on my tractor?"

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #19  
Redding2410,

Just curious, what is the difference between the B2410 and the B7500 PTOs (assuming hydrostatic transmissions on both)? I was under the impression that they were the same.

Kelvin

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #20  
Kelvin, I think he was mistaken. I have used both a 7500, the first tractor I tried out, and now have a 2410. I don't remember there being any real difference between the transmission and PTO set up. I think they are the same. I do notice that the 2410 really is not a 7500 with fender flares, there are some differences but if you got a B7500 you got a nice tractor there, be happy. J