Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp?

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #1  

canuk

Tractor
Kubota B1700HST
I'm considering upgrading from my B1700 to a B24XX in order to gain more power to better handle my terrain, altitude, and weather conditions. Is the power difference significant enough to be worth the trouble? Anyone made this move? I love the size of my machine so going larger isn't necessary nor desired.
Thanks in advance.

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #2  
Warren; What will you do with increased power? Will you be able to use bigger implements? The size of a B2400 or 10 is the same as your tractor. I don't know how the bigger engine will help you. I would think that moving into a B27/2910 or a B7800 would make the most sense if you are moving up.
Just my thoughts,
Will

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #3  
I think more power would help if you are running a wide tiller or or a large brush cutter. For other jobs, like using a boxblade, I think you'd be better off with more traction. You can get that by adding weight to your current tractor. What sort of jobs are you doing that would need more power?

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #4  
Kubota apparently felt there were differences enough to offer the B1700, B1900 and B2400. Now that those are dropped and only the B2410 survives, the B75-- filling the position of the former B tractors I would have to say yes--the B2410 will offer more power, bigger engine, more torque and can handle larger implements or the same size easier. The B1700 has the same engine the BX has, while the BX is quite fiesty, the B2410 has considerably more pulling power which is very noticeable with ground engaging implements. J

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #5  
There's quite a difference between my Ford (16HP) and my Kubota (21HP). The Kubota walks right up hills dragging a 5' RFM that are too much for the Ford unless I shift to low range. Both are HST's...................chim

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp?
All of the implements I have are sized for the B1700 or one size larger, ie. a 5ft box blade, a 5ft rear blade, etc. Usually I will run out of traction long before I run out of power, but plowing snow is the exception. I have to run in high gear to get the snow flowing off the reversed rear blade, but that leads to a shortage of power when I run uphill or encounter snow over 4 inches deep. The slope I plow is trivial but it naturally accumulates the most snow. Traction isn't a problem in this situation since typically I'm down to the gravel at that point. Increasing the angle of the blade merely leads to me being deflected off-course.
Of course a B2910 would be better but I don't think the CFO would be too impressed! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #7  
Less expensive to buy a snowblower instead of a new tractor?

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #8  
A snowblower for the Kubota, is what I'm thinking.

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #9  
more hp is always useful, but i think u answered your own question! " i like the size of my machine and bigger is not necessary or desired" so why go bigger? unless u just want to.. we all make the decesion on what we want, (not necessarily need)if it is right for u go for it./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #10  
There's just too much reasoning going on here.
You never get a second chance to do it right the first time.
So ... two questions:
Would you ever use/need the extra power (yep - moving snow)
Can you afford it (that one's up to you).
Have fun!