Buying Advice L3800 HST walked away from first dealer!

/ L3800 HST walked away from first dealer! #1  

trywhisper

Tractor
Bobcat CT335 SST
WOW! What an ordeal buying a tractor is :confused2: So I thought I had everything in order with the dealer, when I ran a check through list of everything it was coming with ( quick detach loader, 5' howse cutter, and 6' box blade, r4 tires filled) The dealer said no the tire fill was extra since we change tractor models from the L3700??? i know it's not a big deal but w/ the price tag out the door being $24,279, I said what?!? I said I'd have to think about it then. Came home, got online to TBN and saw everything member "CrestonNC" was getting for not much more, well of course I walked away! the dealer would not budge on his price, I have quotes from other dealers (trying to stay local) but to no avail he would'nt come close. So now I'm back to square one:( . The other dealer has the tractor with woods implements. Being an hour away has kept me from making a deal. I guess what I'm asking since never owing a tractor before, what are fair prices for the implements, since every dealer has different brands, it's hard to figure out! And what "perks" should I expect to get? And should I wait on the cutter since it being winter all? I would appreciate any feedback?

/ L3800 HST walked away from first dealer! #2  
Do you have sales tax,if so was that add in cost?

/ L3800 HST walked away from first dealer!
Yes, that was total price.

/ L3800 HST walked away from first dealer! #4  
Woods implements are going to cost you more as they are top of the line, but well worth the money in my opinion, we have Woods and Land Pride for the most part.

/ L3800 HST walked away from first dealer! #5  
I'll try to offer up what little advice I can, but remember it's only worth what you paid for it...............

Use the prices you read about here as a guide, NOT a gospel. Prices seem to vary quite a bit be region. In my area, I've seen prices quoted around 8 to 10% below MSRP. There are alot of TBN members doing a bit better than that, but I'm not seeing that from dealers near me.

Buying local, or semi-local is worth a little something to me. I'd gladly spend a little more to deal locally. I work very hard for what little I have, and I'm not willing to spend thousands more for the sport of it.

Do your best to compare apples to apples when you read about what others have paid for a box blade, bush hog, etc. They may have paid alot less for a King Kutter rotary cutter than your local dealer can sell you a Woods brand implement.

If you got a salty taste in your mouth from a given dealer....... move on. I know with me, rarely am I mistaken with my first impression of a person / dealer. Try the next dealer, no doubt he would love to make a sale.

Do your best to enjoy the shopping, If your name isn't JohnThomas, it'll probably be awhile before you do it again !

Woods implements are going to cost you more as they are top of the line, but well worth the money in my opinion, we have Woods and Land Pride for the most part.

So then , It's safe to say that the dealer an hour away is probably the better deal, since the implemants are a better brand, and the price is alittle better there too (with the tires filled):laughing:, having only talked to him over the phone, I should probably go talk with him when he gets the L3800 tractors in.

I'll try to offer up what little advice I can, but remember it's only worth what you paid for it...............

Use the prices you read about here as a guide, NOT a gospel. Prices seem to vary quite a bit be region. In my area, I've seen prices quoted around 8 to 10% below MSRP. There are alot of TBN members doing a bit better than that, but I'm not seeing that from dealers near me.

Buying local, or semi-local is worth a little something to me. I'd gladly spend a little more to deal locally. I work very hard for what little I have, and I'm not willing to spend thousands more for the sport of it.

Do your best to compare apples to apples when you read about what others have paid for a box blade, bush hog, etc. They may have paid alot less for a King Kutter rotary cutter than your local dealer can sell you a Woods brand implement.

If you got a salty taste in your mouth from a given dealer....... move on. I know with me, rarely am I mistaken with my first impression of a person / dealer. Try the next dealer, no doubt he would love to make a sale.

Do your best to enjoy the shopping, If your name isn't JohnThomas, it'll probably be awhile before you do it again !

Ha Ha Ha ! yes I have read alot of JohnThomas here. You're right, I did'nt have a real good first impression of him from the start, since he was first trying to sell me a B3300, when I asked him how long it would take to cut 15 acres with the 4' cutter it had on it, he told me "oh....about 3 hours" well having had to hire someone 3 times a year to keep it down I know better! Thanks for your feedback!

/ L3800 HST walked away from first dealer! #8  
So then , It's safe to say that the dealer an hour away is probably the better deal, since the implemants are a better brand, and the price is alittle better there too (with the tires filled):laughing:, having only talked to him over the phone, I should probably go talk with him when he gets the L3800 tractors in.

I would sure check it out as it seems like it. I am not knocking Howse or any other brand, just in my shopping the Woods/Land Pride have a higher price tag.

As to the cutter, I have found that by bundling purchases, I get a better price than buying separately and if you are financing you can do it on all of them now.

/ L3800 HST walked away from first dealer! #9  
Buy from the dealer a hour away and make the local dealer do the warranty work. He is contractually bound to do so. Ken Sweet

Thanks for the info Ken!