PTO Shaft snow blower for BX1860

/ PTO Shaft snow blower for BX1860 #1  

smokey_truck

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX1860
I have BX1860 - I might be the most junior of you all and have very small tractor but enough for my urban use. I was wondering how much a small snow blower cost for this tractor which mounts at the rear and works with pto

Appreciated for all your answers.

/ PTO Shaft snow blower for BX1860 #2  
I have BX1860 - I might be the most junior of you all and have very small tractor but enough for my urban use. I was wondering how much a small snow blower cost for this tractor which mounts at the rear and works with pto

Its a broad issue that needs some narrowing
with regard to you your tractor.

Do you have two remote outlets to operate a
hydraulic chute rotator or spout control?

If not that will reduce the first cost expense for
your purchase if the snow blower implement is
new or used and will have an open auger style
ribbon typically for the snows movment to the
snow blowers impeller.

A new blower:

If you do not need hydraulic rotation or tilt that
will save you money and it can always be added
later on most models.

About the auger:

Depending upon the manufacturer a few snow blower producers
have single stage rear mounted snow blowers using either a propeller type impeller or solid auger ribbon to cast the snow as the tractor is driven backward to cast snow long distances if it is powder snow.

The inverted snow blower allows you to drive forward and the snow you drive over is directed into the 2 stage snow blower and ejected to the side.

The inverted blower has an open auger configuration to convey snow into the impeller and it is cast out by the impeller and disposed of.

If the ground speed is too fast the auger will flood the impeller and stop it from working in either the rear mounted or inverted blower.

With a snowblower that has a solid ribbon this is not possible as the flow to the impeller is regulated at all times and avoids jamming the impeller and the snow is thrown a greater distance as the inlet flow is regulated to the snow blowers impeller.

The two stage snowblower with a solid ribbon can be purchased and will work well with all snow conditions and still protected by the shear pins and the gear box and roller chain.

The open auger configuration is standard equipment with the majority of the units available for sale and for the life of me I will never understand that as most snows are not powders and overload the impellers whch reduces thier efficiency. The open auger configuration costs less to make and will become jammed with snow more easily if the operator is not careful in maintaining a slow operation speed per minute

Depending upon the manufacturer you could spend over 28 hundred dollars for a Kubota snow blower which is is manfactured by RAD of Canada. This time of year you will be hard pressed to find a kubota snow blower fir the frint or rear as the RAD folks are filling orders for the many many manufacturers they build machinery for.

There are many farm machinery builders that also build snow blowers the Pronovost brand Puma model is one example.

The Pronovost Puma snow blower model will be easier to obtain than the Kubota models as they have a lesser following in the united states but can be ordered from the Pronovost distributor-Tudor and Jones in Weedsport, New York and shipped to you.

The Lynx brand of snow blower built by another Canadian farm machinery builder is also available here in the states as well.

I am unsure if Buhler or Meteor make a 48 inch snow blower.

You have have a blower that is as wide as your wheel set to operate without difficult in snow as you will loose traction as the wheels will be fighting the deep snows to move.

Some folks have good luck with some brands, and some do not have good luck with the same blower and the operating conditions are all different with gravel or asphault or concrete or just dirt paths.

Snow will average 21 pounds per cubic foot or more depending on the location and its moisture content.

Snow that becomes dense from freeze thaw conditions may reach double that anount or more.

The snow in question will become heavier as it settles and progresses through freeze thaw cycles and driven snow in drifting conditions will become heavy as the snow becomes layered until the wind stops or the snow fall stops.

In your location you may be subject to snows with high moisture contents due to the eastern seaboard and winter storm tracks with ocean based precipitation. The nations capital Washington D.C., and Baltimore, Maryland and New York City, New York are prime examples of this phenomina at times when the conditions are ripe for a "Noreaster" and of course Winter lightning storms due to the warm conditions creating heavy snow falls that paralize these communities.

Another avenue of purchase is simply searching through farm auction sites and what may be coming up for auction
nationwide and can bid upon and shipped to you after the funds have been transferred.

Another option is the Bercomac Motorised snow blower with its own engine and controls that is simply carried by your tractors three point hitch and is mounted on ATV's and UTV's and could be adapted to the three point hitch of your tractor or the front mount with the available Kubota RTV winch with a quick hitch mount to raise it for transporting it.

The Bercomac snowblower can be fitted with pneumatic casters which aid in turning it and make it easier to move when raised or lowered.

The Bercomac will only require 12 volt electric power to move it and raise it with an RTV winch,and the tractor will have all its useable power to move the blower in four wheel drive. You will want chains and loaded tires for any snow blower used to aid in traction and cleaning ability as you can get stuck with 4 wheel drive.

I apologise for running long with this but I only want you to be an informed consumer. I have no financial interest in anay of the companies I have mentioned previously.

Last edited:
   / PTO Shaft snow blower for BX1860 #3  

The BX1860 is only around 14hp at the pto. So you will be very limited to the size of the blower that would work satisfactory for you. I have always been under the impression that you need about 5hp/foot when it comes to a snow blower. Now you'll get many that will argue this. Since it depends on how much and what kind of snow you get in your area. Again, it is just a rule of thumb. So at 14hp, you are only talking a 3 foot blower. Since no one makes a 3' blower, since it wouldn't cover your tracks. I would suggest you try to find a 4' blower. There are many companies that make them. Try to find a couple dealers in you area and compare and price. But I am guessing you are looking at roughly $2000 for a new one. There is a secondary market out there, but the smaller blowers are hard to come by. For what it's worth, Kubota specs a 51" rear blower for that tractor and it lists for around $2400. Good Luck.

/ PTO Shaft snow blower for BX1860 #4  
The BX1860 is only around 14hp at the pto. So you will be very limited to the size of the blower that would work satisfactory for you. I have always been under the impression that you need about 5hp/foot when it comes to a snow blower. Now you'll get many that will argue this. Since it depends on how much and what kind of snow you get in your area. Again, it is just a rule of thumb. So at 14hp, you are only talking a 3 foot blower. Since no one makes a 3' blower, since it wouldn't cover your tracks. I would suggest you try to find a 4' blower. There are many companies that make them. Try to find a couple dealers in you area and compare and price. But I am guessing you are looking at roughly $2000 for a new one. There is a secondary market out there, but the smaller blowers are hard to come by. For what it's worth, Kubota specs a 51" rear blower for that tractor and it lists for around $2400. Good Luck.

I just hope he finds one from some brand as it is only the second day of winter.

I do know that the BCS Berta single stage and two stage blowers are gear driven and are mounted on 2 wheel tractors and it would take little work to mount a gear driven snow blower on one of the orange brats with a little work using a V belt set up from the rear spline easily like many V belt driven belly mowers.

My case in point being that some stone burriers can be mounted on both a rear mounted tractor and a 2 wheel tractor as well

/ PTO Shaft snow blower for BX1860 #5  
I'd be looking for a 48" unit. Allied/Buhler/Farm King (same company, different brands) makes one. When pricing it make sure it includes the PTO shaft as they are expensive. Also, don't worry about power chute rotation as the manual handle will be easily accessible from the driver's seat on most models.

/ PTO Shaft snow blower for BX1860 #6  
Do you have a rear blade? Not sure how much snow you get in VA, but here in VT we get quite a bit and I have no problem with the FEL and the rear blade. It's about $400 for a good 5' RB to fit your tractor and can be used for other stuff besides snow. It's cheap, easy on and off, and easy to store. Might I suggest you give one a whirl before you get a snowblower?

/ PTO Shaft snow blower for BX1860
Do you have a rear blade? Not sure how much snow you get in VA, but here in VT we get quite a bit and I have no problem with the FEL and the rear blade. It's about $400 for a good 5' RB to fit your tractor and can be used for other stuff besides snow. It's cheap, easy on and off, and easy to store. Might I suggest you give one a whirl before you get a snowblower?

I do have rear blade and yes it doesnot snow a whole lot except for last year. Issue is I leave my tractor in the shed in the backyard and to get it out I have to clear lot of snow all the way through the yard and come outside. I thought snow thrower will be more effective in that aspect than blade.
I wanted to know what are my options and the price range.

/ PTO Shaft snow blower for BX1860
Its a broad issue that needs some narrowing
with regard to you your tractor.

Do you have two remote outlets to operate a
hydraulic chute rotator or spout control?

If not that will reduce the first cost expense for
your purchase if the snow blower implement is
new or used and will have an open auger style
ribbon typically for the snows movment to the
snow blowers impeller.

A new blower:

If you do not need hydraulic rotation or tilt that
will save you money and it can always be added
later on most models.

About the auger:

Depending upon the manufacturer a few snow blower producers
have single stage rear mounted snow blowers using either a propeller type impeller or solid auger ribbon to cast the snow as the tractor is driven backward to cast snow long distances if it is powder snow.

The inverted snow blower allows you to drive forward and the snow you drive over is directed into the 2 stage snow blower and ejected to the side.

The inverted blower has an open auger configuration to convey snow into the impeller and it is cast out by the impeller and disposed of.

If the ground speed is too fast the auger will flood the impeller and stop it from working in either the rear mounted or inverted blower.

With a snowblower that has a solid ribbon this is not possible as the flow to the impeller is regulated at all times and avoids jamming the impeller and the snow is thrown a greater distance as the inlet flow is regulated to the snow blowers impeller.

The two stage snowblower with a solid ribbon can be purchased and will work well with all snow conditions and still protected by the shear pins and the gear box and roller chain.

The open auger configuration is standard equipment with the majority of the units available for sale and for the life of me I will never understand that as most snows are not powders and overload the impellers whch reduces thier efficiency. The open auger configuration costs less to make and will become jammed with snow more easily if the operator is not careful in maintaining a slow operation speed per minute

Depending upon the manufacturer you could spend over 28 hundred dollars for a Kubota snow blower which is is manfactured by RAD of Canada. This time of year you will be hard pressed to find a kubota snow blower fir the frint or rear as the RAD folks are filling orders for the many many manufacturers they build machinery for.

There are many farm machinery builders that also build snow blowers the Pronovost brand Puma model is one example.

The Pronovost Puma snow blower model will be easier to obtain than the Kubota models as they have a lesser following in the united states but can be ordered from the Pronovost distributor-Tudor and Jones in Weedsport, New York and shipped to you.

The Lynx brand of snow blower built by another Canadian farm machinery builder is also available here in the states as well.

I am unsure if Buhler or Meteor make a 48 inch snow blower.

You have have a blower that is as wide as your wheel set to operate without difficult in snow as you will loose traction as the wheels will be fighting the deep snows to move.

Some folks have good luck with some brands, and some do not have good luck with the same blower and the operating conditions are all different with gravel or asphault or concrete or just dirt paths.

Snow will average 21 pounds per cubic foot or more depending on the location and its moisture content.

Snow that becomes dense from freeze thaw conditions may reach double that anount or more.

The snow in question will become heavier as it settles and progresses through freeze thaw cycles and driven snow in drifting conditions will become heavy as the snow becomes layered until the wind stops or the snow fall stops.

In your location you may be subject to snows with high moisture contents due to the eastern seaboard and winter storm tracks with ocean based precipitation. The nations capital Washington D.C., and Baltimore, Maryland and New York City, New York are prime examples of this phenomina at times when the conditions are ripe for a "Noreaster" and of course Winter lightning storms due to the warm conditions creating heavy snow falls that paralize these communities.

Another avenue of purchase is simply searching through farm auction sites and what may be coming up for auction
nationwide and can bid upon and shipped to you after the funds have been transferred.

Another option is the Bercomac Motorised snow blower with its own engine and controls that is simply carried by your tractors three point hitch and is mounted on ATV's and UTV's and could be adapted to the three point hitch of your tractor or the front mount with the available Kubota RTV winch with a quick hitch mount to raise it for transporting it.

The Bercomac snowblower can be fitted with pneumatic casters which aid in turning it and make it easier to move when raised or lowered.

The Bercomac will only require 12 volt electric power to move it and raise it with an RTV winch,and the tractor will have all its useable power to move the blower in four wheel drive. You will want chains and loaded tires for any snow blower used to aid in traction and cleaning ability as you can get stuck with 4 wheel drive.

I apologise for running long with this but I only want you to be an informed consumer. I have no financial interest in anay of the companies I have mentioned previously.

Leonz I do have to appreciate your patience in not just providing information but educating me as well and give me whole lot of options. All good suggesstions. I like the idea of used one since it has no engine it is ok to buy used ones also I believe

/ PTO Shaft snow blower for BX1860 #9  
The problem with buying a used rear mount blower is the main bearings conditions and the side frame weldments, and in what condition the impeller drum and gear box is in as the used blower wil have been turned in for a trade after many years of seasonal use by the previous owner-and the blower may have been well maintained and have many years of service left in it.

The fastest way to find one is to start looking and see what may be coming up in auctions as it is a seasonal item and may bring high bids as snowblowers are typically in demand or become a purchase made for the coming years weather possibilites.

The design of a rear or front mounted blower is simple and the complicated issues are the chain drive, shear pin or clutch, and the soundness of the implement and whether it is square and the diagonal measurements of the auger housing are equal in length which indicates the snow blower has sound construction and was not abused.

It may be worth your while to check with the folks at www.earthtools.com
for a second hand BCS 2 wheel tractor and a blower attachment as it would be well worth the purchase as it very late in the season to start looking for a rear mount snow blower.

Even the smallest BCS 2 wheel tractor with a BCS/Berta 24 inch snow blower will blow snow 50 feet because of the gear to gear drive system for the snow blower.

I only want you to be an informed consumer and end user.

/ PTO Shaft snow blower for BX1860 #10  
hi i have a bx 1830 with a 51 inch meteor with all hydrolic chute and it work great for me hpoe i help you mario