BX1860 to BX25; Feel like John Thomas

/ BX1860 to BX25; Feel like John Thomas #1  

CHDinCT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25, Z422-KW
It's done! Traded in my BX1860 for a BX25. Signed the papers on Tuesday and my new BX25 will be delivered sometime next week. Dealer said they might be able to get it to me by the end of the week, but I told them it was actually better for me next week when things calm down from the holidays - maybe I'm a bit nuts for saying that after thinking it over today. :confused2:

For those following my recent posts, including this thread in the Kubota Owning forum, ( http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/191487-woods-bh6000-bx-question.html ) it was all about getting the backhoe for my BX. I spent a lot of time looking into the Woods BH6000 and for a while had my BX for sale on CL with plans of trading it in on for a BX25. I had what seemed to be a firm buyer about a week or so ago, then, poof, the guy backed out last minute.

It was a tough call taking a pass on the Woods BH6000. I got quotes from low $5K's from an out of state Woods dealer to well over $7K locally. Still, the problem became that Woods doesn't officially offer the BH6000 for the BX1860 or 2360 for that matter, and they were of no help trying to figure out if the subframe for the BX1850/2350 would work on my 60 series. I won't rehash the details (see linked thread for those), but I'm 99% sure the subframe for the 50 series would work. I just didn't like not having support from Woods for any issues should I have run into them. Plus, I couldn't swallow the price locally so I'd would have had to order it from a dealer in Michigan and then not have local selling dealer support for warranty issues, etc.

Add to this that I'd likely have to remove the dual rear remote set up on my BX1860, remove and relocate my forward facing ROPS lights and my rear work light. The valve for the rear remotes mounts to the side of the HST and it looks like there would be interference with the Woods subframe. Even if it didn't interfere, I'd have to relocate the 4 quick connect ports at the back of the tractor since they'd be in the way when sitting facing rearward to operate the BH. All in all, it added up to a lot of work on top of the subframe and backhoe installation and I have a lot of other honey do's and projects of my own already waiting. I will have to add work lights to the BX25 in fairly short order however.

There are a few things I liked better about the Woods hoe, however. One is the integrated bosses for mounting a Woods pin on thumb. That was appealing as I know there wouldn't be any movement of the thumb as can happen with the bolt ons, plus it would be easy to remove when not needed. The other advantage is a float mode on the boom raise/lower function. Supposedly, you can dig easier by putting the boom in float so that as you crowd the dipperstick in towards the tractor, the boom will float up on its own and prevent the tractor from being pushed backward. I suppose in time you get good at adjusting the boom as you dig with the dipper. Kubota doesn't have this on the BX25. Bet it's on the next update though.

I also want to say that I briefly considered trading out to a small B - B2320 or B2620 - after earnestly following BPfick's trade up experience, but I can honestly say that my BX is the right size for my current 2 acres. Ground clearance, as long as the MMM if off, is not an issue for me. Going to a B would have been more costly anyway, not just for the tractor and BH, but also because I'd have to replace my current MMM and front blade that wouldn't transfer over.

So, I'm looking forward to getting the BX25 even though I won't be using the BH until next Spring. I will use the time between now and delivery to reorganize my shed. I already ordered the BXpanded BH and FEL dollies since rolling them into corners of my shed is the only way they'll both get in there with the tractor when they're off. Will post pic's when the new unit arrives.

Happy New Year

/ BX1860 to BX25; Feel like John Thomas #2  
Congratulations on your new tractor. I'm sure you will be happy with it. I also had a wild range of quotes on my Woods BH6000. My local Kubota dealer had the best price and I went with that. He said the range in price was because Woods offers a lower wholesale price table to dealers who do a certain quantity of business with them. Dealers who don't do enough quantity face the higher wholesale price list. Additionally, Woods gives free shipping to those on the quantity list, and charges for shipping to those who aren't. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but it is what he told me.

I am sure the Woods would have fit on your old tractor, but I understand the concerns you had. The bh on the BX25 will be easier to get on than the Woods and it is almost as powerful (about 98%) as the the Woods. Time now to think about hooks for the new FEL and BH buckets, FEL toothbar, thumb, ripper, and all the other extra little toy, er, sorry, make that tools!

Good luck and have fun.

/ BX1860 to BX25; Feel like John Thomas #3  
Hey Chris, congratulations!!!!

Sounds like you made the best choice for your situation. Man, it'll be hard watching them haul off your old tractor.

Got a felling your new machine will make you happy and you'll not look back. So, you really told the dealer to just take his time making the delivery? Son, what WERE you thinking?:D:D

/ BX1860 to BX25; Feel like John Thomas #4  
Congrats! I'll look forward to your future posts. Oh, and I noticed while searching the web that you are at the "other" tractor site...

/ BX1860 to BX25; Feel like John Thomas #5  
Congratulations on your new tractor, I am sure it will serve you well for many years.

/ BX1860 to BX25; Feel like John Thomas
Thanks guys, and yes CTF, I do visit that other site as well. As any of us on here who own a tractor, I did spend considerable time getting my BX1860 set up the way I wanted so it will be sad to see it go. It was everything I expected when I got it and more. On some level I almost feel an emotional attachment to it - maybe I'm not alone. :eek:

Tom, really appreciate your input on the Woods BH. I don't doubt it would have been a great addition to my BX. I will be getting a thumb for the BX25 hoe as soon as I can since rebuilding a lot of my stone walls is the main reason for the BH. A lot of the walls have fallen over and the stone has been buried under decades of decaying leaves, sticks, etc. If I get a chance, I'll post a pic of what I'm talking about. I did keep my Bro-Tek skid plate and will mount it on the BX25 come Spring if not sooner.

/ BX1860 to BX25; Feel like John Thomas #8  
Hey, Congratulations on the BX25! :thumbsup: It is always hard to part with your old machine when you trade it in but thats just part of the upgrade and the BX25 will be the BX1860 and more. :thumbsup:

/ BX1860 to BX25; Feel like John Thomas #9  
Congrats Chris!! You will enjoy your BX25 and the dollies you are getting from BXpanded.

/ BX1860 to BX25; Feel like John Thomas #10  
The BX25 is a good piece of kit :thumbsup:
My Dealer has a 75Hr '10 B26 on the lot ...... that got my heart racing :licking: There's alot of metal in that machine.:cool: