Anyone seen/tried an L5030?

/ Anyone seen/tried an L5030? #1  

hayden

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 cab + FEL, KX121, KX080
Anyone seen or tried one? I'm particularly interested to know if the governor on the engine stinks as bad as the other grand L's. I'm hoping it works more like the B series where it regulates the engine to within a 100 RPM at worst.

/ Anyone seen/tried an L5030? #2  
I have the same engine in my L48 as what they put in the 5030. As far as the engine governor goes, I'm clueless about what your talking about. I have not found any of the engines to "stink" in the governor area. What exactly is your experience that is so different then mine. Also, why is being within 100 RPM so critical if in fact as you say the L series do not. I'm really baffeled by your post. The engine in the L48 is fantastic, ultra smooth and powerful. When it loads up and when more power is available, ( I run at 1700 RPM or so) its there. With HST, that power dimishes quickly and no amount of governor is going to do anything. I've never tried a B series so cannot even relate to that. The tractors like the NH TC45 and JD 4610, 4710 all have roughly the same engine characteristics and I have no complaints with them either. Rat

/ Anyone seen/tried an L5030? #3  
hayden
We just got our first L5030HSTC (cab model) that is already sold. It was sold with an LA853 loader, 72" bucket, pallet forks, post hole digger, 7' box blade and Ag tires. All of us have been really checking out the new features. I'm with Rat as to what you mean about the governor. Give me some more info and I will check it out before I deliver this tractor.
Lewis

/ Anyone seen/tried an L5030?
No offense intended by my comments.

I'm refering to how closely the governor regulates the engine speed at any given speed setting. A "perfect" governor will maintain exactly the same engine RPM across all engine load ranges up to the engine's manumum power. Then, and only then would the RPMs start to drop off.

For example, if you set the engine speed at 1800 RPM, then drive around fast and slow, up and down hills, mowing or transporting, the engine RPMs will stay at 1800 RPM. If you try to push over a 36" oak tree, the effort will be too much for the engine and it willbe unable to maintain 1800 RPM and the speed will drop until the load is reduced.

Now that's a perfect world, and we don't live in one. My experience on B's is with a B2400 and a B2910. Both of these machines regulate the engine RPM to with in about 100 RPM of it's set speed across the loads described (except the oak tree). My experince on grand L's is with a 3710, and a little bit with a 4610. The 3710 I actually thought was broken because with a no-load RPM of say 1800, it would drop by several 100 RPM (up to 500) just driving around, and this was in mid-range, not even high range. I then test drove a 4610 and it was similar. There was a discussion in I think the Customization topic on ways to improve the regulation on a 4610.

I love the way the B's work, and I was really surprised to find such a difference in the grand Ls. I've never tried an L48, but would like to. In your L48, if you set the engine speed at 1800 RPM, then drive around in mid-range, slow/fast, up an incline, and then back down again, how much does the engine RPM vary?

/ Anyone seen/tried an L5030? #5  
Peter, I'll just have to try it and let you know. I've never really thought about it other then to say that at about 1700 -1800 RPM, I believe I am at maximum torque. I think this because when I am pushing a load with the loader and start to bog down I can add more throttle but the RPM's just won't increase. I then must back off on the hydrostatic pedal. It works beautifully. The L48's got a great diesel. Rat...

/ Anyone seen/tried an L5030?
What you describe, if I understand it correctly, is actually indicative of the problem. Does applying more throttle let you maintain RPMs under heavy load? You shouldn't have to - that's the governor's job.

Let me go through an example 'cause I'm not sure I'm explaining myself well.

At some throttle setting let's say the engine runs at 1800 RPM under no load. As you apply load via your loader, mower, whatever, do the RPMs drop? If so, by how much? Do they drop to 1600 or even 1500 under load?

With that load that brings the RPMs down to 1500, now crank up the throttle. Does the engine speed up (with the load still applied)? It shouldn't. The governor should be applying all available fuel injection output in an all-out attempt to maintain the original 1800 RPM. IF the speed has dropped to 1500, it should only be because the load is so severe that full engine power output cannot compensate

Does my description make sense?

/ Anyone seen/tried an L5030? #7  
Hayden, I understand what your saying, I'll experiment a little. My understanding of a governor is that the way it works is via a ball and centrifical force. At idle, a governor will never apply full engine throttle to compensate for a load placed on it. My understanding is that it will work within a range but not a full range from idle to full throttle. I will have to pay attention next time I'm using it to see just what goes on with the engine and RPM's under load. When I think about it, it just doesn't come up as an issue. I know the engine speeds up under load, but with hydrostatic in particular, its pretty easy to take my 20+ cu ft. bucket into a pile of material in medium range and drop the RPM's to a point beyond the engines ability. At that point, its time to back off on the hydro pedal which is second nature to those of us with hydro. I find that even in low, this situation happens as I figure I have added well over 3000lbs of weight over the front wheels and their only option is to dig in and go or load the engine beyond its ability. I'll try out my L48 perhaps latter today as the weather here in CA has been so nice and this tractor stuff is so much fun to do in our 60 degree and sunny weather. Rat...

/ Anyone seen/tried an L5030? #8  
<font color=blue>My understanding is that it will work within a range but not a full range from idle to full throttle.</font color=blue>

Me, too, Rat. I've never seen one that worked over as broad a range as Hayden described.