Series designations? (M, L, B, X)

/ Series designations? (M, L, B, X) #1  

blunosr

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5000, Ford 5000, Massey Ferguson 1080, Bobcat A300
Hi, I'm in the market for another tractor. I have a 1970 MF1080, but it's 3pt hitch is so weak it won't lift a bush hog and I don't have facilities to split it right now.

What do all the letter designations of Kubotas mean? (M, L, B, X)

I don't know why all the tractor companies can't get together with uniform designations. I want something in the order of 50hp, and I like the MX5100 that was at the dealer last time I looked.

I looked at all the other new tractors, but I'd rather stay away from "made in India, Mexico, Brazil, Korea". The only option in that hp range seems to be the Kubota, and to me, "made in Japan" seems the better of the bunch. Is that just me being crazy?

Should I look for an older JD instead? There was a 2155 for around $10,000. Tractordata.com indicates that it was made in Germany.

The Kubota would be new, but would mean making payments. It is around $30,000 up here in Canada, after taxes.

I'd like to run at least a 5' tiller, and be able to pick up a 12' JD T100 disc. I'm not sure the Kubota would pick up my disc, it's quite soggy!

Thanks for any advice.

Troy Boyd

/ Series designations? (M, L, B, X) #2  
M- Utility Class- Mid 40HP and up.

L- Compact Utility Class(with a few Utility class)- Mid 20HP- Upper 50HP

B- Compact/Subcompact Class (frame smaller than L)- Lower 20HP - Lower 30HP

BX-Subcompact Utility Class- Mid Teens HP to Mid 20 HP

/ Series designations? (M, L, B, X) #3  
BX normally smallest. Next is B which the biggest one can get close to the next bigger size of the smallest L and then you move into the big boys, not hers, the M's.
Guess all brands could call all their tractors one thing like all car companies do.:) Being as your on the Kubota forum (yes we have other color guys hanging around because they envy us) we will probably vote that all designations be what Kubota is using now. Doubt the other colored companies would agree to change all of theirs to Kubota designations. Do you see the problem with collusion between companies which while they are working together on same designations can just set them all at the same price?:(

/ Series designations? (M, L, B, X) #4  
I can certainly identify with your confusion over model numbers, I have to look them up on anything other than Kubota.

I think you are right, I wouldn't want to try pulling a 12' disk with a MX5100 either.

There are some 5100 owners on here who hopefully can provide more info on their capabilities.

/ Series designations? (M, L, B, X) #5  
I spent a lot of time test driving the MX5100 before I bought my M5040. The 5100 is a heck of a bargain, but it just wasn't that much more to get the 5040 and it's a lot more tractor.

I'm not sure the 5040 will pull a 12' disk where I am but your soil might be less demanding. The operating manual gives a max of 9' for a draw bar disk harrow with 4wd and 8' for 2wd. Have to go to the M7040 to get rated for a 12' disk.

/ Series designations? (M, L, B, X) #6  
Regretibly, I could not make hide not hair of these letters until I went out a dealership and walked around the lot for about 30minutes. I sat in every open cab and then took notes and photos on each model. Then I spent about 3 hours drueling over my laptop while visiting Kubota Tractor Corporation.

I knew I was going to get a BX but I needed to sit in all of the seats I could find. It was a much phunn.

~Kevin

/ Series designations? (M, L, B, X) #7  
I have an MX5100 and I think pulling a 12' disc would depend on the soil type but it is on the upper end of its capabilities for sure. But, it does have a Cat II 3pt. on it. I like the 5100 and use it a ton around the farm. But, like all tractors, there are somethings that could be improved on. such as, the rear end is fairly light and loading the tires is a must with a FEL and even some rear weights.
To acheive 540 on the PTO you have to rev the engine to 2700RPM which seems pretty high to me. The diff lock is on the wrong side in my opinion. The PTO engage lever is pretty chincy and is engaged with a small cable instead of linkage. and last but not least Curtis Cab does not offer a cab for the MX5100 ( although the specs on the L4740 is very simular)

/ Series designations? (M, L, B, X) #8  
Here's the reply I tried to post on ytmag:

Compact Homeowner = B series
Large compact = L series and Grand L's
Medium Utility but based on L series = MX
Utility = M

The MX won't handle a 12 ft disc on the 3 point, and won't pull it
anywhere that has been plowed.

You should not pay 30,000$ for the MX, I'm in Canada as well
and they only fetch about 1/2 that with 100 hours on them at
auction.

I like my Kubota (L5030 HSTC) but I bought it in the US for about
half what they sold for here at the time. Watch private sale,
dealers have been swamped with trades with the several years of
0% and aren't paying much for trade in.

I bought a 2005 MF 5455 100 hp cab loader 4wd for 30,000$ no
HST as its over 62 pto hp. If you don't need a cab there are
some great deals on tractors in the 65 pto hp range. 5000 series
JD's with that 9x3 no shift on the fly transmission are cheap,
1000 hrs, selling in the 13,000$ range with no loader at dealers.

You can find low houred Kubota M6800 4x4 open stations in the
14,000$ range which could pull that disc in some conditions, or
an M8200 that would handle it fine in the 20,000$ range.

Really clean MF 165's are selling in the 5000-8000$ range.

A nice Ford 5000 or 5610 can be had for near 8000-10000 in
2wd with low hours.

Lots of retiring small farmers around with smaller equipment for
good prices. I wouldn't tie up my money into that particular new
Kubota.

/ Series designations? (M, L, B, X) #9  
Here's the reply I tried to post on ytmag:

Compact Homeowner = B series
Large compact = L series and Grand L's
Medium Utility but based on L series = MX
Utility = M

The MX won't handle a 12 ft disc on the 3 point, and won't pull it
anywhere that has been plowed.

You should not pay 30,000$ for the MX, I'm in Canada as well
and they only fetch about 1/2 that with 100 hours on them at
auction.

I like my Kubota (L5030 HSTC) but I bought it in the US for about
half what they sold for here at the time. Watch private sale,
dealers have been swamped with trades with the several years of
0% and aren't paying much for trade in.

I bought a 2005 MF 5455 100 hp cab loader 4wd for 30,000$ no
HST as its over 62 pto hp. If you don't need a cab there are
some great deals on tractors in the 65 pto hp range. 5000 series
JD's with that 9x3 no shift on the fly transmission are cheap,
1000 hrs, selling in the 13,000$ range with no loader at dealers.

You can find low houred Kubota M6800 4x4 open stations in the
14,000$ range which could pull that disc in some conditions, or
an M8200 that would handle it fine in the 20,000$ range.

Really clean MF 165's are selling in the 5000-8000$ range.

A nice Ford 5000 or 5610 can be had for near 8000-10000 in
2wd with low hours.

Lots of retiring small farmers around with smaller equipment for
good prices. I wouldn't tie up my money into that particular new
Kubota.

I'm in the same boath as "blunosr" looking for a tractor, but something smaller, a L3800 or L4400. Comparing dealer's price Canada vs US is a difference of over 2500$ and adding the "sweety" Canadian tax HST from Ontario the difference goes over 3000$. Based on this, I'm thinking more and more to take your advice and look for one over the border. Can you please send me some directions/addresses where I can start searching for one?
Thx

/ Series designations? (M, L, B, X) #10  
tractorhouse.com is a good start, I started with ironsearch first.