Buying Advice Kubota L3800 vs L3940

/ Kubota L3800 vs L3940 #1  

JohnandLaura

Hello everyone!

We haven't posted in a while, we've started and stopped our tractor search many times over the past couple of years with frequent visits to this site.

We currently use a 1954 Case and a Cub Cadet mower to accomplish the bare minimum of our tasks. We'd like to do more. We think we have narrowed it down to the Kubota L3800 and L3940, but are having trouble deciding whether or not the L3940 is too much tractor for our needs. At the same time we wonder if the L3800 might be too small. This tractor will be driven by several different people - M/F and from short to tall.

Here is a list of our needs:

50 acre property with a few farm animals, with flat and hilly areas, lots of wet areas, 50% pasture, 50% wooded

Primary needs:
-Daily loader work for barn upkeep/manure removal
-Manure spreading (waste from maximum 4 cows and 10 chickens)
-Round bale moving
-Dirt/gravel work (currently doing this with a shovel and wheel barrow!) :)

Secondary needs:
-Snow removal
-Driveway & foundation pad grading
-Bush hogging about 20 acres once or twice a year
-Dragging firewood/logs out of the woods

We realize that we have gotten by for many years without a really reliable and useable tractor, so aren't even sure if we are overestimating the capabilities of either of these two tractors.

We don't expect it to pull a baler, for example, but it would be nice to be big enough to pull a variety of implements including a manure spreader. We just don't want to limit ourselves to something too small, or end up with such a big bear on our hands that it won't be practical as a daily driver all year round.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Laura & John

/ Kubota L3800 vs L3940 #2  
Might try reaching out to Philip8N. He as a L3940 and has a lot experience with it..

AndyG

/ Kubota L3800 vs L3940 #3  
If you are comparing new, then I'd recommend the L-4400 which would pick up on all your needs and be about the same money as the 3940 and more tractor.

the 3940 is a great full featured tractor and they do work well but I could se ethe L-4400 as a better choice for the money.

/ Kubota L3800 vs L3940 #4  
You're looking at one smaller framed tractor and a larger framed model of approximately the same horsepower. The L3800 will have the advantage with tasks where maneuverability is desired: mucking the barn, dodging trees in the woods, for example, from your list. The L3940 will have the advantage with work that requires heft in addition to horsepower: round bales, dirt and gravel work, snow removal, pulling logs, for instance from your list.

Both are excellent tractors. The L3940 costs more but does more and has more features. No one can know your place and your work needs better than you, but just going by the size and scope of your needs, I'd vote for the L3940. That's also reportedly an especially good Kubota model based on size, power and features. Lots of owners... probably a few will jump in with first hand comments. Good luck with your shopping.

/ Kubota L3800 vs L3940 #5  
I would wonder if the L3800 might be a little small for round bale work but I don't know as I have no experience with its loader. I do know the L3940 with the LA 7** loader will handle a round bale with ease. I would think you would enjoy the 3940 more as it is more refined and somewhat bigger.:D

/ Kubota L3800 vs L3940 #6  
Grand L's have some great features and are heavier to do your deeds. If you are already considering the L3940 look at the L4240 and see if much price difference. The 4240 will give you a larger loader and more lift ability.

/ Kubota L3800 vs L3940 #7  
For everything but the round bales, the 3800 will do the job. It'll handle small rounds, bigger ones will be a handful.

GrandDad has a good point, look at the 4400 as well.

Sean

/ Kubota L3800 vs L3940 #8  
Hello everyone!

This tractor will be driven by several different people - M/F and from short to tall.

Here is a list of our needs:

50 acre property with a few farm animals, with flat and hilly areas, lots of wet areas, 50% pasture, 50% wooded

Primary needs:
-Daily loader work for barn upkeep/manure removal
-Manure spreading (waste from maximum 4 cows and 10 chickens)
-Round bale moving
-Dirt/gravel work (currently doing this with a shovel and wheel barrow!) :)

Secondary needs:
-Snow removal
-Driveway & foundation pad grading
-Bush hogging about 20 acres once or twice a year
-Dragging firewood/logs out of the woods

Laura & John

Welcome to TBN
We have had a L3940 for almost 4 years now and we love it. My wife drives the tractor almost as much as I do. The hydrostatic trans just make work a breeze. It is easy for anyone to learn how to use it. I leave the auto throttle advance on all the time so the forward and reverse pedal acts like accelerator pedal also. We have 40 acres and are bush hogging half of it with a 6 foot bush hog, It handles it without a problem. If I am mowing up a hill and need to shift down the high low shifter on the column makes shifting to a lower range on the move a breeze.
I have had someone else bale hay on the fields and I have put my forks on the loader and moved the big round bales without a problem. The hydrostatic drive makes maneuvering around the bales easy,
This has been a great tractor for us. I do not think you would go wrong with it.
Rick

/ Kubota L3800 vs L3940
Thanks for all the replies so far. Our round bales only weigh about 600 pounds, so do you still think the L3800 would have a problem with them since it claims to lift ~1000 pounds on the spec sheet?

Anyone out there have an L3800 they'd care to chime in about? We're most concerned about the maneuverability limitations of the L3940 since we will be using it for lots of projects that it's probably overkill for.

Thanks again!

Laura & John

/ Kubota L3800 vs L3940 #10  
Thanks for all the replies so far. Our round bales only weigh about 600 pounds, so do you still think the L3800 would have a problem with them since it claims to lift ~1000 pounds on the spec sheet?

Anyone out there have an L3800 they'd care to chime in about? We're most concerned about the maneuverability limitations of the L3940 since we will be using it for lots of projects that it's probably overkill for.

Thanks again!

Laura & John

The 3800 will handle a 600# bale fine. I have moved a few 1100# bales with my B3200 which of course is an overload so the 3800 will handle 600#'s fine.