Buying Advice Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy #31  
Does anyone have a 17 year old car with 100k miles on it? (about equivalent to 1600 tractor hours). My car needed brakes and a water pump and has some rust. If you are smart you won't buy a (insert car model here).

Totally agree.

If you take a look at the history of the Japanese, Korean and other off shore machinery that's being sold here today, think back 30-40 years ago when Honda and Toyota first made inroads here. Without getting into todays Detroit 3 and all that, the original Asian stuff was crap. Rust, rust and rust. Compare those products to those they make today.

As Consumer Reports says, extended warranties are (generally) a waste of money. If it doesn't break in the manufacturers warranty period, it probably won't in the extended warranty timeline. Kubota like other manufacturers have provided limited extensions on such things as BX24 decks (most recently). Some manufacturers have even reached back 10-15 years on extreme safety issues.

Manufacturers products evolve, quality improves, or else the business will not survive.

Point being...17 years and 1600 hours...stop whining...fix it and move on. If you want a bulletproof warranty in your life "buy a toaster" and get rid of it after 30 days.:D

/ Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy #32  
Does anyone have a 17 year old car with 100k miles on it? (about equivalent to 1600 tractor hours). My car needed brakes and a water pump and has some rust. If you are smart you won't buy a (insert car model here).

Hey... 16 year old Dodge Dakota still running, 112000 miles. Needs.............well easier to say it doesn't need glass, mirrors or upholstery or a steering wheel. Bought it used 5 years ago with problems and always expect there will be problems BUT- paid cash for it. Still love it!

A general thought. I've seen posts about failures at high hours and failures at low hours. When I see older tractors with low hours starting to fail- it is because they haven't been used.

Things are capable of wearing and degrading on their own without use. The idea that a spring clip "housed in oil" shouldn't fail is a bit off. 1600 hours running is just a touch more than 1 percent of the age of the tractor. Otherwise, the tractor has been sitting for 147320 hours since purchase.

As for trolling...it would appear the OP is related to "Aldone Plowing"....

/ Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy #34  
My first was so weak it did not survive being t-boned by a Grand Marquis.
The second had to have an axle seal replaced under warranty.
Should I be disappointed?? :)

Never been garaged, paint has not faded, always starts and saves my back a whole ton of pain between the BH and the snow plow!!!

Sorry you had such bad luck with your Kubota. I am still happy with mine and would buy a third.

/ Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy #35  
Friends:

If you have already purchased a Kubota, you have my most sincere sympathy - if / when you need it!

If you have not purchased a Kubota yet, please read on and make your buying decision accordingly.

I purchased my L3300 new in 1994. It has been shed kept and well maintained. It presently has less than 1600 hours on it. The following are the issues that I have had with my Kubota:

1. My L3300 was recalled in 1996 by Kubota to replace a defective front axle holder which could have resulted in the front axle dislodging (per Kubota letter).
2. While the tachometer is indicating 540 RPM rear PTO speed, the rear PTO
is actually running at about 400 +/- RPM. I discovered this fact while attempting to build a PTO generator in 1999. (I reported this to Kubota at that time.)
3. I replaced both of the front axle seals.
4. The seat pan of my tractor is rusted apart. I will need to purchase another seat.
5. I have had to superglue one of the rear tail lights back into position since one of the plastic 'screw bosses' has broken loose. The other tail light is loose and vibrating.
6. Oil was leaking from around the rear PTO shaft.
7. The rear PTO locked into the running position. The cable shifter moved the transmission lever, but the rear PTO would not disengage.

Repair #7 cost me about $1000.00 The machine had to be split to replace a 邏*ragile snap ring which keeps the spring loaded front clutch from shifting into the rear clutch plate. The rear PTO will run continuously until the snap ring is replaced.

After numerous phone calls and emails with Kubota Corporation, their (regional?) sales manager identified the snap ring failure as a 蜒ァaintenance cost item that I was responsible to address. Can anyone tell me how a snap ring inside the tractor housing and immersed in hydraulic oil is a maintenance item?

Anyone who has had to perform the rear PTO repair mentioned above, please let me know.

The repair of items 3 and 6 cost about $400.

So, as you make your decision as to what brand of tractor to buy, please take into consideration what I have told you above.

Good Luck!

Hmmm. The Kubota B5200 in the picture was purchased in 1986 and sold in 2007. I sold it for a little more than I paid for it, of course 1986 dollars were worth a lot more than 2009 dollars.

Total repair costs over about a quarter of century and about 2000 hours were about $150 for a hydraulic cover, gasket and impeller. I replaced these myself.

So before you buy any brand of tractor besides a Kubota, please take what I've just told you into consideration.

/ Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy #36  
To me that is not a lot of money to put in a tractor for that period of time. Not really sure what the complaint is about.

/ Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy #37  
Friends:

If you have already purchased a Kubota, you have my most sincere sympathy - if / when you need it!

If you have not purchased a Kubota yet, please read on and make your buying decision accordingly.

I purchased my L3300 new in 1994. It has been shed kept and well maintained. It presently has less than 1600 hours on it. The following are the issues that I have had with my Kubota:

1. My L3300 was recalled in 1996 by Kubota to replace a defective front axle holder which could have resulted in the front axle dislodging (per Kubota letter).
2. While the tachometer is indicating 540 RPM rear PTO speed, the rear PTO
is actually running at about 400 +/- RPM. I discovered this fact while attempting to build a PTO generator in 1999. (I reported this to Kubota at that time.)
3. I replaced both of the front axle seals.
4. The seat pan of my tractor is rusted apart. I will need to purchase another seat.
5. I have had to superglue one of the rear tail lights back into position since one of the plastic 'screw bosses' has broken loose. The other tail light is loose and vibrating.
6. Oil was leaking from around the rear PTO shaft.
7. The rear PTO locked into the running position. The cable shifter moved the transmission lever, but the rear PTO would not disengage.

Repair #7 cost me about $1000.00 The machine had to be split to replace a 邏*ragile snap ring which keeps the spring loaded front clutch from shifting into the rear clutch plate. The rear PTO will run continuously until the snap ring is replaced.

After numerous phone calls and emails with Kubota Corporation, their (regional?) sales manager identified the snap ring failure as a 蜒ァaintenance cost item that I was responsible to address. Can anyone tell me how a snap ring inside the tractor housing and immersed in hydraulic oil is a maintenance item?

Anyone who has had to perform the rear PTO repair mentioned above, please let me know.

The repair of items 3 and 6 cost about $400.

So, as you make your decision as to what brand of tractor to buy, please take into consideration what I have told you above.

Good Luck!

So how long have you owned your Mahindra dealership?

/ Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy #38  
I certainly understand the frustration of having to spend 1K to replace a $5 part. But that is the way most anything is today. It's not unique to Kubota or tractors for that matter.

I hope after 17 years and 1600 hours my little tractor is still running and has only cost me 1K. I will certainly consider that a good investment.

/ Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy #39  
Other words the tires need changing then give the tractor or car or truck away?? Does not affect my choice.....Buy a better snap-ring or clean up the burr that is chewing it up? Lots of luck on your new Choice in equipment..

/ Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy #40  
I've got this spade, it was my grandfathers. I can remember replacing the handle for my dad when I was a teen about 35 year ago. It was probably only about 60 years old at that time and had very light use. I got it when my father died. I went out to look for some kind of mark on spade to see who made it, because I want to complain. How can a 60 year old hand tool with very light use need a new handle? Oh yeah, it was rusty also, so I had to wire brush it when I replaced the handle. Since I sunk all that money and time into it, I can say it has perfromed flawless, although it is a little heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.