Buying Advice Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy #1  

1dcorbin

Tractor
Kubota L3300
Friends:

If you have already purchased a Kubota, you have my most sincere sympathy - if / when you need it!

If you have not purchased a Kubota yet, please read on and make your buying decision accordingly.

I purchased my L3300 new in 1994. It has been shed kept and well maintained. It presently has less than 1600 hours on it. The following are the issues that I have had with my Kubota:

1. My L3300 was recalled in 1996 by Kubota to replace a defective front axle holder which could have resulted in the front axle dislodging (per Kubota letter).
2. While the tachometer is indicating 540 RPM rear PTO speed, the rear PTO
is actually running at about 400 +/- RPM. I discovered this fact while attempting to build a PTO generator in 1999. (I reported this to Kubota at that time.)
3. I replaced both of the front axle seals.
4. The seat pan of my tractor is rusted apart. I will need to purchase another seat.
5. I have had to superglue one of the rear tail lights back into position since one of the plastic 'screw bosses' has broken loose. The other tail light is loose and vibrating.
6. Oil was leaking from around the rear PTO shaft.
7. The rear PTO locked into the running position. The cable shifter moved the transmission lever, but the rear PTO would not disengage.

Repair #7 cost me about $1000.00 The machine had to be split to replace a ç´*ragile snap ring which keeps the spring loaded front clutch from shifting into the rear clutch plate. The rear PTO will run continuously until the snap ring is replaced.

After numerous phone calls and emails with Kubota Corporation, their (regional?) sales manager identified the snap ring failure as a 僧aintenance cost item that I was responsible to address. Can anyone tell me how a snap ring inside the tractor housing and immersed in hydraulic oil is a maintenance item?

Anyone who has had to perform the rear PTO repair mentioned above, please let me know.

The repair of items 3 and 6 cost about $400.

So, as you make your decision as to what brand of tractor to buy, please take into consideration what I have told you above.

Good Luck!

/ Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy #2  
Ah, it's a 1994. By my math that's 17 years old. Things break over time and very little of this sounds out of line from what I have seen across all manufacturers.

Kubota did a recall for a safety issue. There's a problem with that? What would you propose they do, ignore the problem and hope for the best?

The PTO speed isn't the engine speed.

Axle seals go bad

Plastic things break, and the threads can strip. etc.

The seat rusting can be due to excessive humidity or condensation, who knows.

Sorry you're so dissapointed, but sounds like you're expecting to just run it forever with no fixes.

Not being smart, just realistic.

/ Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy #3  
Friends:

If you have already purchased a Kubota, you have my most sincere sympathy - if / when you need it!

If you have not purchased a Kubota yet, please read on and make your buying decision accordingly.

I purchased my L3300 new in 1994. It has been shed kept and well maintained. It presently has less than 1600 hours on it. The following are the issues that I have had with my Kubota:

1. My L3300 was recalled in 1996 by Kubota to replace a defective front axle holder which could have resulted in the front axle dislodging (per Kubota letter).
2. While the tachometer is indicating 540 RPM rear PTO speed, the rear PTO
is actually running at about 400 +/- RPM. I discovered this fact while attempting to build a PTO generator in 1999. (I reported this to Kubota at that time.)
3. I replaced both of the front axle seals.
4. The seat pan of my tractor is rusted apart. I will need to purchase another seat.
5. I have had to superglue one of the rear tail lights back into position since one of the plastic 'screw bosses' has broken loose. The other tail light is loose and vibrating.
6. Oil was leaking from around the rear PTO shaft.
7. The rear PTO locked into the running position. The cable shifter moved the transmission lever, but the rear PTO would not disengage.

Repair #7 cost me about $1000.00 The machine had to be split to replace a �*ragile snap ring which keeps the spring loaded front clutch from shifting into the rear clutch plate. The rear PTO will run continuously until the snap ring is replaced.

After numerous phone calls and emails with Kubota Corporation, their (regional?) sales manager identified the snap ring failure as a 蜒ァaintenance cost item that I was responsible to address. Can anyone tell me how a snap ring inside the tractor housing and immersed in hydraulic oil is a maintenance item?

Anyone who has had to perform the rear PTO repair mentioned above, please let me know.

The repair of items 3 and 6 cost about $400.

So, as you make your decision as to what brand of tractor to buy, please take into consideration what I have told you above.

Good Luck!
I am very pleased with the Kubota that I purchased. Sympathy not needed but thanks anyway friend.

The 1996 era tractor I own is an excellent machine, works just fine in all aspects and it also vibrates.

Your disappointment with the PTO generator project would be expected as a PTO / governed power resource is riduculous to expect anything more than hap-hazard at best, for that type of project (even though some here have embraced it as the cat's meow). There is a super good write-up here on the forum about the PTO - generator mechanics and it's lack of application efficiency to support a generator.

$0.02

/ Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy #4  
duly noted for the next 1994 tractor I buy

/ Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy #5  
just registered: check.
low post count: check.
sample size of 1: check.

next up, your "other" or "next" tractor is awesome, right?

anyway, post a picture of your tractor please.
and tell us what you have been doing with it.

wrooster

OC.jpg

/ Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy #6  
Friends:
邏*ragile 蜒ァaintenance
Good Luck!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the information.

Is there some way you could re-phrase the two words above "邏*ragile and 蜒ァaintenance " so they appear in English? I can't get the full meaning of the sentences with those foreign letters or symbols or whatever they are.

/ Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy #7  
Ive had an l48 a U35 a kx121 with over 2500 hrs and now an l3540, all were for the most part trouble free. Would buy another in a heartbeat. Sorry you had so many (really not that many) issues over 17 yrs but maybe you should try a current model before you go bashing at a current date.

/ Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy #9  
About half way thru that rant I expected him to say that he donated the tractor to the home for wayward boys after he broke off some grease Zerks:laughing:

To the OP, sorry you have had so many troubles with your 17 year old tractor, But if you think you are going to hurt the Kubota Corporation's future sales and get back at them for your troubles, I doubt it will work out for you.

James K0UA

/ Kubota: Please Read Before You Buy #10  
17 years, 1600 hours.....

guess we need to hear about repairs from all those who have matching years and hours on various makes. Here is a start.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2256565#post2256565

I don't quite have 1000 hrs on my Kubota tractor.... A/C needed repair...nothing else so far except stuff I broke via operator error.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.