Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers

/ Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers #1  

bradleyb

Hi there,

I live south of Buffalo, NY in one of the snowiest areas around here, and set out initially looking at the Kubota BX1860 equipped with a front-mount snow blower, 54" mower, and FEL.

I've got a 200' driveway. Whatever I buy has to be a great snow machine, otherwise it will have been a waste of money.

It will also replace my ride-on for mowing duties. The FEL seems like a common sense decision, as we regularly deal with 20 yard or larger piles of mulch for gardening.

I attended a home show today and a salesman attempted to convince me that the 1860 will not handle well a large snowfall, and that the 2360 is really what I need.

I'm looking for feedback from people who actually live a high-volume snow area, like the Buffalo area or snow-belt areas in Michigan.

What do you think? Will the 1860 handle it?

Also - The $3000 front-mount snow blower is a hard pill to swallow when compared to a $1500 rear-PTO model. Any compelling reasons (performance?) to go front-mount?

On a related note, Lamb and Webster is quoting me list prices(at the home show), whereas Buffalo Tractor is quoting a respectable discount. Should I expect better pricing if I go to their location (this pricing was at the home show)?

thanks very much!

Last edited:
   / Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers #2  
Re: Kubota BX - Need advise from fellow snow belt dwellers

I know your area...I'm closer to the border in Central NY, but I went to college "up there."

I think the BX will be a fine snow machine for a 200' driveway. There isn't much you can't take care of with a blower and a FEL. If you had a larger area, there is no doubt a bigger machine would be quicker-but how much time will it take to do 200' with the BX, even if you have to go slow due a 30" snowfall?

The front mount blower is more convenient because you are driving forward. I know I would want my FEL on in the winter, though, and the $1500 difference on a rear blower is something to consider.

I plowed 400' and a parking area with a BX and a FEL for 10 years-while we don't have storms like yours, I managed well with 12" or more several times.

As far as price, here in NY, 8-12% off retail is the normal range on Kubotas-at least in my experience.

Good Luck,

Will

/ Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers #3  
I am on the North side of Lake Ontario but it is rural and not prone to lake effect snow. I keep open about 800' of drive. I use a 26HP Kubota with a rear blower that I would like to put on the front so that I can then use my rear blade. If you give up your front loader in the winter for a blower then you have limited yourself. At 200' of drive a neck condition I am calling Barn Owl should not be too bad. Snow blowers are terrible in wet snow because you have to get the fed and speed right and lift at the end so the chute empties. Also carry on the tractor a chute stick because if you get tired and it is dark that is when accidents happen. Some method of chute direction changer is nice ie hydraulic or electric but that manual turn rod is no fun.

Craig Clayton

/ Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers #4  
Re: Kubota BX - Need advise from fellow snow belt dwellers

Hi there,

I live south of Buffalo, NY in one of the snowiest areas around here, and set out initially looking at the Kubota BX1860 equipped with a front-mount snow blower, 54" mower, and FEL.

I've got a 200' driveway. Whatever I buy has to be a great snow machine, otherwise it will have been a waste of money.

It will also replace my ride-on for mowing duties. The FEL seems like a common sense decision, as we regularly deal with 20 yard or larger piles of mulch for gardening.

I attended a home show today and a salesman attempted to convince me that the 1860 will not handle well a large snowfall.

I'm looking for feedback from people who actually live a high-volume snow area, like the Buffalo area or snow-belt areas in Michigan.

Also - The $3000 front-mount snow blower is a hard pill to swallow when compared to a $1500 rear-PTO model. Any compelling reasons (performance?) to go front-mount?

On a related note, Lamb and Webster is quoting me list prices(at the home show), whereas Buffalo Tractor is quoting a respectable discount. Should I expect better pricing if I go to their location (this pricing was at the home show)?

thanks very much!

I personally wouldn't buy an 18HP tractor for heavy duty snowblowing. I'm not saying it CAN'T handle the heavy snow load, but I think it may struggle a bit. You can always do it in stages as it falls. The question is do you want to have to do it more then once. If its going to have a heated cab then why not.

I would be looking at the BX2660, which should be able to handle anything you can throw at it. If its a $$$$ issue, maybe you should consider used. There are plenty of "like new" ones out there.

As far as a front or rear snow blower, well thats a very common discussion on this forum, especially this time of year. As far as performance goes, from what I have heard, the rear has more power. For myself I don't think I would get a rear mount, only because I truly enjoy clearing snow, and having to look back the entire time would take all the fun out of it. But thats just me.

If your not going to be putting a backhoe on it, you should take a look at the John Deere X748. Get one with a heated cab and you'll be wishing for more snow. I have a JD and a Kubota and trust me you can't go wrong with either.

Good luck shopping, and TAKE YOUR TIME. Winter is just about over, and there are a lot of good deals to be found if you shop around. Don't let a salesman sell you on the first thing you look at.

/ Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers #5  
Brad,

I own a BX2360 with the rear blower and love it and so does my wife.

I unfortunately don't live in the snowbelt of Michigan any more but living in Southeastern CT has been as trying this year. 74 inches in January.

I am convinced the driveway by itself will be easy for a BX1860 however the entrance to the drive will require Max HP and some patience. I know this because I had to be patient. **** plows tried to block me in.

Higher HP will throw heavier snow farther.

No way I would give up my FEL in a heavy snow!

~Kevin

/ Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers
Thanks all for the feedback so far.

Kevin - I know what you're saying regarding the end of the driveway. The plows do create quite the pile there. I can see how the FEL would make that easier... especially in the area around the mailbox, which becomes packed tightly with snow. I always get a note from the mail lady telling me that I have to clear that area of snow.

What did your B2789 cost you?

How well does the chute rotator work on these rear units?

I'm leaning toward the 2360 over the 1860 for both the extra HP, and the availability of the R4 tires, which seem like they'd be OK for snow and also not too bad for mowing.

Keep the responses coming! I really appreciate it.

/ Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers #7  
I like the JD x748 better than most of the BXs because you don't have a roll bar to get in the way when mowing. I like their ergonomics better too. And you are getting alot of HP in a very short platform. Actually, I like the X729 or X749 for the all wheel steer. Uncut mowing circle is 6" and you can steer when your front gets light while blowing/plowing. Absolutely the best when you want performance and manueverability.

HP will be important where you live because of snow depth.

The BX's are a little more tractor-like than the JD X series. If you want that, you might want to consider the new JD 1026R.

If it were me and a roll bar wasn't a problem, I'd also want a cab where you live. The JD X700 series offers an OEM cab. The Kubota B3030 cab tractor is also really nice.

Have you considered Bobcat or Kioti? They have a small cab tractor (27/30/35 HP). They are bigger than BX's, but probably about the same money for a whole lot more tractor. The 22 HP they have is nicely sized, but no OEM cab.

The TYM T233 or T273 are also very nicely sized: short with a lot of HP, and priced very good too.

All of these would serve your needs.

/ Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers #8  
I read many times that turf tires are actually better in the snow than R4's. I have R4's on a tractor. They are tough, but not all that great in mud or snow.

/ Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers #9  
I don't have the Kubota or the JD..........I have the Massey.

But...........that 1860 will do what you need it to do. Get the front blower and FEL........I can change mine out in less than 15 minutes.

The cheaper rear blower price you have been quoted is not a quality unit. A good rear blower will cost you the same as the RAD front blower for your BX.

EDIT: I live 19 miles east of Uniontown, Pa. I'm in the snowbelt, and have been all of my life.

EDIT 2: I have loaded turf tires with chains..........I've been doing this driveway for 14 years now..........and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited:
   / Kubota BX 1860 or 2360 - Need advice from fellow snow belt dwellers #10  
Hi there,

I attended a home show today and a salesman attempted to convince me that the 1860 will not handle well a large snowfall, and that the 2360 is really what I need.

thanks very much!

If you haven't yet, check out Youtube for Kubota BX vidoes with snowblowers. Several have posted videos of their tractors with both front and rear mount snowblowers.