Buying Advice Do dealers expect MSRP, or typically go down on price

/ Do dealers expect MSRP, or typically go down on price #1  

rarvesen

You can get the MSRP for tractors on the Kubota website. I'm new to tractors and dealers, are they like car dealers where you should expect to pay less than MSRP? Is there a range they typically go down? I assume this various based on location, demand, etc. I don't want to be insulting to the dealer, and I don't want to pay more than necessary either.

/ Do dealers expect MSRP, or typically go down on price #2  
I myself price the tractors lower than MSRP. Most dealers will do this but alot also depends on if your paying cash or fin.

/ Do dealers expect MSRP, or typically go down on price #3  
You can get the MSRP for tractors on the Kubota website. I'm new to tractors and dealers, are they like car dealers where you should expect to pay less than MSRP? Is there a range they typically go down? I assume this various based on location, demand, etc. I don't want to be insulting to the dealer, and I don't want to pay more than necessary either.

Yes they are like car dealers. Typically I think most people say about 15% less than what you are seeing online is what you can expect to actually pay.

No one knows what the dealers are actually exept the dealers.

As I am not a dealer I can only speculate, BUT the higher volume dealers are probabally getting a better deal through kubota. BUT that doesnt mean you will get a better deal there. They typicall have more overhead and more employees than a small dealer. You just have to shop around.

It's like anything else, cars, guns, chainsaws, etc. They all have MSRP's, but the dealer can sell for whatever he wants. Some who are better at bartering will get better deals and the dealer will make less profit. But thats the beauty of capitalism and out free market.

/ Do dealers expect MSRP, or typically go down on price #4  

Although not specific to Kubota, there is some potentially useful advice here.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/bobcat-construction-equipment/196129-how-get-best-price-new.html

Steve

/ Do dealers expect MSRP, or typically go down on price #5  
In my recent experience, and reviewing various posts on this forum, I have seen a wide range of prices for the same model tractor. I have also learned that Spring/Summer is probably the least likely time to find a deal. Fall/Winter seems to be the best. In my area I checked with three dealers in three states, but close enough for service if necessary, all were within $800 of one another. It's good to know the MSRP as on the Kubota site, at least it gives you an idea of what the high price may be, either try to negoiate the price down a bit or go for some extras. It may also be beneficial to exchange information (such as your phone number) with the dealer after discussing the price and giving them some time to think about the deal. Sometimes they will call you with a lower price...sometimes not. I recently decided to go with the dealer who gave me the lowest price to start with and negoiated a few small dollar items. The dealer was out of state, and saved me some money in sales tax.

/ Do dealers expect MSRP, or typically go down on price #6  
Bought a new L3240GST last July..Financed the tractor thru Kubota.. MSRP says 19,877-- I paid 15,700 no loader, R1 tires--I did get front grill guard and 3 weights...

AndyG

/ Do dealers expect MSRP, or typically go down on price #7  
Around here I found that 8 to 10% off MSRP was about average. I think you'll find it will vary by location, dealer , etc.

/ Do dealers expect MSRP, or typically go down on price #8  
yes the tractor dealers will come down on their prices,some will come down more than others.

/ Do dealers expect MSRP, or typically go down on price #9  
It depends on the terms the dealer gets from Kubota too. The first Kubota dealer I worked at would buy the last 10 to 15 of a model run (after they introduced a new model) from the warehouse and get incredible pricing. There was a lot more room for movement in the price, especially as it was getting closer to when he was going to have to start paying flooring.

Brian

/ Do dealers expect MSRP, or typically go down on price #10  
Around here I found that 8 to 10% off MSRP was about average. I think you'll find it will vary by location, dealer , etc.

I concur with Ductape; 8 to 10% seems to be the sweet spot in the Northeast. For me, it was 9%. Seems to be more of a discount in areas that have warm climates for the majority of the year.