Buying Advice Air compressor to inflate tractor tires

/ Air compressor to inflate tractor tires #1  

rarvesen

I'm a first time tractor owner and recently purchased a L3200. I'm looking into an air compressor to inflate the tires when necessary since I can't drive into town like we do with the car. Does anyone have a suggestion on good size of compressor to get to inflate tractor tires? Thanks.

/ Air compressor to inflate tractor tires #2  
Well, just about any air compressor will inflate tractor tires, but I prefer one with enough power to run an impact wrench, some people also use an air powered grease gun.

/ Air compressor to inflate tractor tires #3  
if you just want it for tires, you can probably find something at Home Depot or Lowes. However, I'd sugguest you get a nice size compressor to handle air tools as well as air for your tires. I got a compressor on wheels for about $300 at Tractor Supply Center. And tools for maint. such as : grease gun, impact wrench, tire inflator, etc. In the long run this may save money. if you buy something just to inflate tires, it will not run any tools and if decided you want to run tools the small tire compressor was a waste of money. Just sharing what happen to me...

/ Air compressor to inflate tractor tires #4  
I use two compressors a shop compressor and a lot of the time I use a Porter Cable pancake compressor that I got to run nail guns Its great to be able to do small jobs pluged up to a 115 volt outlet. Randy

/ Air compressor to inflate tractor tires #5  
My thought is, if you do any maintenance work at all, bite the bullet and get a nice big compressor. I kept buying larger and larger units until I finally got what I needed. I can now run air tools, motorcycle table lifts, blasting cabinet etc., plus blow dirt and grass off equipment and inflate whatever is required. It took me a long time to realize I must choose the item that I can get by with then go about three sizes larger. I got my twin, two stage compressor from Sam's Club and am very satisfied.

/ Air compressor to inflate tractor tires #6  
Almost anything would work however there's a lot of air in a rear tractor tire and one of those little 12 volt cigarette lighter ones would take way too long to fill a tire. Sooner or later you will find a tire low on air. Unlike a car a tractor tire will debead itself making life much more difficult. I think you are wise to be looking into investing now before you need one.

The first question is do you have access to 220 volts or is 110 volt outlets all you have? If you don't have 220 then forget about anything over 2hp (I had a 3hp one that could be wired for either 110 or 220 and it was right at the edge of tripping a 20 amp breaker) or you'll need to look at gas powered compressors.

Second question is do you have a price limit? There are some real nice 80 gallon 2 stage 7.5hp compressors but you could be looking at dropping $2 grand. If you ever plan on having a nice shop one of these is almost a requirement. But if you only want to spend a few hundred a pancake or air nailer compressor would work. If your budget is real small maybe someone can let you know how well the Harbor Freight type compressors work.

/ Air compressor to inflate tractor tires #7  
I've got this compressor. Works great for the price and runs small air tools which you don't yet realize that you need. Sometimes it is on sale for $80 or $90..........

Coupon Display

/ Air compressor to inflate tractor tires #8  
Personally, i love my large 2 stage air compressor. i have a 50 foot self winding hose reel by the roll-up door to the shop. i can inflate anything, run air wrenches, air blow guns (to clean tractor screens, air filters,chain saws), etc. This 50 gallon standing unit only cost $500 at lowes about 5 years ago, (not sure what they cost now days) plus $80 for the hose reel. worth every penny. i live 24 miles from main town. NEED AIR

Attachments

• reel.gif
    reel.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 8,147
  • kobaltt.jpg
    kobaltt.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 865
   / Air compressor to inflate tractor tires #9  
I have a Quincy Compressor that has worked great for me. It is a 5HP. I think it is a model 251CS80VCB. quincycompressor.com Well worth the money.

/ Air compressor to inflate tractor tires #10  
I'm a first time tractor owner and recently purchased a L3200. I'm looking into an air compressor to inflate the tires when necessary since I can't drive into town like we do with the car. Does anyone have a suggestion on good size of compressor to get to inflate tractor tires? Thanks.
Got to love the guys on TBN. Ask a question about a simple air compressor and you get advise on compressors from $69 to $6000. One big enough to air a tire to a complete body shop/machine shop.:D
I currently have three air compressors. I resisted buying one for years because I couldn't think of a real use for one (same with Backhoe). I finally bought one to use nail guns for construction and doubt I could ever live without one now. I also buy the $20 5 gallon air tanks for use away from the compressor. I can pick up any of the three compressors I own and carry them by myself and plug them into about any 110 wall plug. Not saying I'd want to carry them very far but I can. One actually has wheels on one side when you lean it back to roll it. Rough to do on grass though.:)
I wouldn't consider the cheapo that hooks to 12volt car supply.
You should be able to buy a decent one from Sears, Lowes or Home Depot or Harbor Freight for $100 to $150 to fill air in tires and use air grease guns and nail guns and last for many years.
Now if you know you are going to build a garage with a paint shop or car lifts, then go for a big boy but that's not what you asked way back at the beginning.