Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Buying from one dealer / Using another for repair

I have been looking to purchase a BX25 from a dealer in central KY that everyone has been talking about. I would like advice on purchasing a tractor from a dealer that is 3 hours from where I live and using a local dealer for repair. Does warranty work the same on tractors as automobiles. I have three dealers within 45 minutes that can work on kubota. It just sounds like the dealership in central KY works harder for your business. Thanks for your advice.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    7040 HDC 1153 fel

Default Re: Buying from one dealer / Using another for repair

my dealer is 40mi from me.an i have a local dealer thats 15mi from me.but as a personal thing i dont think id use my local dealer for repairs.prolly use them for oil an filters.if your warrenty would be honored by your local dealer then go for it.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3540 HTSC-3

Im pretty sure legally they are required to work on it. Now whether or not your machine gets put at the bottom of the list behind customers that purchased there is up to them.
    2010 Kubota L3540 HTSC-3 w/R3's, 2002 John Deere X595, Woods GB72 Box Blade, Woods PL72 Core Aerator, Kubota Ballast Box, CL4 Forks, Befco 209 3pt Spreader 3pt Trailer hitch, JD spreader, JD Dethatcher, Jd Power Bagger, Stihl MS361, 024 saws, TS400 cut off, BR 380 blower and an Echo PPT 280 polesaw

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

its a FACTORY warranty. does not mater what factory authorizes service center you use.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

What sort of work are you talking about? If it's routine service then I don't know why any dealer would turn that down since it's easy and they make good money, since they make money on labor and parts. If it warranty then it's part of their contract to work on it with kubota. Again they make money when they do warranty work so it shouldn't be a problem.

I know some people who have great relationships with their dealers but none of the close ones around me every felt like that was going to happen. I felt like more of a number. I guess if I bought 10 tractors from them in the last couple of years it could be different. I suspect that a dealer may give a little preference to someone who bought a tractor from them but I doubt 1 tractor would be enough. I'm sure the guy who bought 5 tractors or is a farmer with more than one machine costing a lot more will get bumped up.

But for the most part I don't really plan on using the local dealers for anything. I'm sure most Kubotas never have problems for much longer than the warranty and by the time it does it's old enough the dealer would not remember if it was bought there or not. Of course I don't like dealer stickers on anything I own so I pull them off.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200, Ford NAA, IH 454D, Case 1845C

Despite having bought a M9540, B7610 and ZD21 from our local kubota dealer, they were still hesitant to look at an issue with my B3200 which I purchased elsewhere. They told me I needed to take it back to the dealer I bought it from for warranty work (100mi away). They may be legally bound by Kubota to do warranty work on all Kubota tractors, but that doesn't mean they have to do a good job on it or do it in a timely manner.

I have never had a good feeling about the service departments at most dealerships, so I end up doing almost 100% of my mechanical work myself. Even a couple small repairs that would have been under warranty on my tractor (steel hyd line, sticking HST pedal), I paid for the parts and did it myself. A lot less headache than the mess they could create by doing a shoddy job.
    Kubota B3200
    Ford NAA Jubilee
    International 454D
    Case 1845C skid steer
    JD 265

Tractor
    currently own F3080 F2680 B2620 FEL/BH RTV1140

Quote Originally Posted by cook7200 View Post
    I have been looking to purchase a BX25 from a dealer in central KY that everyone has been talking about. I would like advice on purchasing a tractor from a dealer that is 3 hours from where I live and using a local dealer for repair. Does warranty work the same on tractors as automobiles. I have three dealers within 45 minutes that can work on kubota. It just sounds like the dealership in central KY works harder for your business. Thanks for your advice.
    Barlows is one central Kentucky dealer that works for sales by giving great prices. They have also provided parts under warranty for some on this forum and shipped them to them.
    Out of twelve Kubotas I've bought in seven years I've only had one (L3240HST for FEL arms out of alignment) I've ever taken back for warranty work and a couple times I've picked up parts under warranty and installed them my self. I almost forgot, I did take a one front tire leaking air for a BX back to Barlows for them to have a tube installed under warranty. All Kubota dealers get paid for doing warranty work on Kubotas under warranty. Dealer does have choice of order of work scheduled. May not go to top of list if they have a list if bought elsewhere but may not go to top of list even if bought from them.
    2012 B2620 FEL BH, 2008 F2680 2WD 72" side Discharge Deck, 2012 F3080 4WD 72" rear discharge deck, 2010/2009 RTV1140CPX , RatchetRake, Forks, ...DEARBORN 2 BOTTOM PLOW 12" ?? FOR SALE $425).... Drawbar and Horse Drawn disk 13 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 13 Ford Flex. 2009 Subaru Impreza Sport

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

No matter how close the dealer, a trip for warranty work is gong to take several hours of my time, plus a transport fee from the dealer.

If I can possibly do it myself, I do.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    B2920 TLB turfs and loaded ags

(knocking on wood as I type)

I have had two different tractors over a 3 year period and have never been in for repairs and I do all the maintenance myself. You will too if you can change oil.

I bought my last tractor from Barlow's because the price and the service were light years ahead and I am in the DC area so probably 1000 miles away.
    B2920 TLB, turfs and loaded ags, thumb, 60 & 50" QA buckets, Kubota QA forks, toothbar, BX42 chipper, 60" front hydro blade and hitch, Herd M96 spreader, turf vent 48" 3pt aerator, Woods LRC 60" rake and Woods 48" estate BB, County Line 60" rear blade, rear spacers, pats easy change. Polaris 800 w/60" Blizzard plow & John Deere 717a ZTR

Wow, that is not only great advice, but also great encouragement to a first time buyer. I believe I have made up my mind on machine and dealer. If not for those on this forum I believe my research would not be finished. Thanks to all.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast