Decision Advice -Mx5100, M5640SU, M5140

/ Decision Advice -Mx5100, M5640SU, M5140 #1  

ManAtArms

Silver Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M59
I have a good friend looking to replace an older ~35 horse Kub with a newer ~50 horse model. He is looking at the following 4WD models:
Mx5100
M5640SU
M5140

Use includes general horse farm maintenance duties, mostly mowing with a brush hog and light loader work. I researched the tech specs on these three models, and found that the Kub website is broken for MX5100 detailed specs.

From what I could find, the MX5100 is 50 Net HP, M5640Su is 56, and the M5140 is 52. The MX5100 is available with Hydro trans or a gear model, which may or may not be a convenience for them around the farm. Do you think the hydro trans will have cruise control for mowing? The MX5100 has 42.5 PTO horse, the 5140 has 46HP and 5640SU has 50HP. So the 5100 is down about 7% in PTO power from the 5640SU. Will this make a noticeable difference in real world mowing capability?

The MX 5640 looks to have higher ground clearance. I assume this is a specialty crop purpose? Maybe it's not appropriate for general farm use?

Finally the the M5140 weighs about 600 lbs. more than the 5640. I can't find the weight on the 5100.

All three are in stock at the local dealer. Am I missing anything obvious here. They are similiar in major specs, but I assume the intended purposes of each machine must be different. Are there other models getting overlooked here?

I would appreciate any advice.

-Mark

/ Decision Advice -Mx5100, M5640SU, M5140 #2  
As in all things, the "best" is going to depend on the individual. The two tractors I use the most are an L5030 HSTC and M8540 HDC which is the Hydraulic Shuttle Shift. Absent some need for really heavy work, my preference is HST over any geared unit. Since only the MX5100 is offered this way, it would be my choice.

The M models will have heavier frames and are very good tractors, but seem to be a little over kill for the tasks listed.

My personal choice would be a L5240 or L5740 as they have the HST+ transmission, are pretty stout and are very nimble.

bigbull338 and others have the MX5100 and some will have more experience with the models listed.

/ Decision Advice -Mx5100, M5640SU, M5140 #3  
the M5640SU is your basic utility tractor(aka no fancies). Just a good, solid, bare bones, reliable tractor. The M5040 is Kubota's "premium" utility tractor(has a few more options then the M5640SU). the MX5100 is between a CUT and an Ag Utility tractor. Basically it fills the needs of folks who need something bigger then a CUT but don't need a full fledged Ag Utility tractor such as the M5040 and M5640SU. The MX5100 also has a smaller engine as far as cubic inches go and the lift capacity is going to be substantially greater on the other 2 tractors. I think he would be happy with any of the 3 as they're all good tractors that would easily fill his needs. I'd suggest test driving all 3 and go from there. You'd be surprised how many answers to your questions you can find with just driving them around.

/ Decision Advice -Mx5100, M5640SU, M5140 #4  
I am mistaken about the M5040 as I see now that Kubota renumbered it as an M5140.

/ Decision Advice -Mx5100, M5640SU, M5140 #5  
we have an MX5100 with mech shuttle, loader, and backhoe.
Also have M7040HD.
the M5640 looks like a less expensive feature set on the M5140 chassis.

The MX doesn't have draft control for 3pt engaging equipment like the M5040 does.

Both would do fine in the application you described. For me it would come down to price and the largest piece of equipment I planned on using in the future.

The M has higher weight lifting capabilities and can run larger ag equipment.
We use the MX5100 for loader work and the mech shuttle does just fine changing directions. You have to remember to use the clutch though, especially after getting off the M where you don't use it.

/ Decision Advice -Mx5100, M5640SU, M5140 #6  
I don't know about the cruise feature on the MX5100 hydro, I haven't seen one up close yet.

The MX5100 runs a 6' rotary cutter fine. I can't really tell any difference in speed or cut between it and the M7040. A larger mower might be a different matter.

/ Decision Advice -Mx5100, M5640SU, M5140
Hi guys, thanks for all the responses. This is immensly helpful.

ZDB, what is "draft control" for the 3-pt?

we have an MX5100 with mech shuttle, loader, and backhoe.
Also have M7040HD.
the M5640 looks like a less expensive feature set on the M5140 chassis.

The MX doesn't have draft control for 3pt engaging equipment like the M5040 does.

Both would do fine in the application you described. For me it would come down to price and the largest piece of equipment I planned on using in the future.

The M has higher weight lifting capabilities and can run larger ag equipment.
We use the MX5100 for loader work and the mech shuttle does just fine changing directions. You have to remember to use the clutch though, especially after getting off the M where you don't use it.

/ Decision Advice -Mx5100, M5640SU, M5140 #9  
as 3R said i have the MX5100 HST4x4 with the LA844 fel.an i wouldnt change 1 thing about it.it will do your shredding with ease.an yes it has the cruise control.an it is very nice an easy to get along with.an itll also lift the 5 by 6 bales with ease as long as you put 1 on the rear.we used it all winter to hay the cows.

/ Decision Advice -Mx5100, M5640SU, M5140 #10  
I have an M8540HD12-1 (M8540 for short) and spent a considerable amount of time comparing all of the M (50/60/70/85/95) tractors before I bought. I also have a very good friend who owns an MX5100 (although his is not HST). If you have any questions let me know.

As far as draft control is concerned, draft control automatically raises and lowers the 3ph based on how much of a load is being placed on the 3ph. Because of its geometry, the more a 3ph implement digs in, more pressure is exerted onto the 3ph components. Draft control measures this pressure and raises or lowers the 3ph so a constant pressure is exerted. In the M series (or possibly all Kubotas, I'm not sure), draft control is measured via the top link.

I'm not a farmer and and do not use it a lot, however I did find it very handy when using my grading scraper with the scarifiers down. I needed to tear up some ground and the draft control allowed me to dig as hard as possible without just spinning the tires and not moving. Without draft control, I was constantly raising and lowering the 3ph and was not very good at it. Draft control may or may not be necessary. It all depends on the owner and his/her needs. I did NOT buy my tractor because of draft control, however I have found it handy at times.