L3800 3pt hitch operation

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #1  

jcb

Hi all - new member here. I have read numerous articles re the jerky 3pt hitch issue with the L3400 models. I am ready to purchase a new L3800 but wanted feedback from anyone that owns an L3800 regarding the 3pt operation. Does the new 3200/3800 have the same issue ?

Thanks in advance

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #2  
The first generation of L2800 and L3400 were really bad... kubota changed the valves and there were less jerky (livable). kubota has not change the valves with the updated L3200 and L3800 (L3700, too). Try it out for yourself... if you are not planning to use a boom pole or do fine grading, it should be fine. The problem is if you raise the 3ph very slowly...

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #3  
Also you will not be able to tell much if the tractor does not have an implement on the 3ph. just a bare tractor will not prove much. I have a 2010 L3400, and the 3pt hitch is jerky if you try to raise it slowly. If you just move the lever smartly up. there will be one "jerk" at the end of movement. But if you try to raise the lever slowly the 3pt. will be a series of jerky raising movements. Of course lowering the 3pt, it is silky smooth. Not a problem for the things I do., but I can see how lifting a motor with a boom pole, would be an issue.

James K0UA

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #4  
The 3pt hitch on my 2005 L3830 is as slick as anything you could ask for. Up or down. Fast or slow. Of course if you are too fast, it will operate at its own speed.

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #5  
I agree with the others. HAve the dealer put something heavy on it ( like a rotary mower) and try it out for your self to see what it is like. My L3830 also has a smooth 3 pt. - the grand L series never had the problem the regular L series had. - Mike

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #6  
I agree with the others. HAve the dealer put something heavy on it ( like a rotary mower) and try it out for your self to see what it is like. My L3830 also has a smooth 3 pt. - the grand L series never had the problem the regular L series had. - Mike

I'd agree also, the rotary cutter is a good choice for trying it out, or a post hole digger, something that extends a ways back behind the tractor. It's one of the few things I don't like about my 3400, enough that I probably wouldn't buy another one unless the problem had been corrected.

I'm not being hard-headed, there's simply too many good tractors that DON'T have this problem to buy one that does.

It may not bother you in the least, but you do have the benefit of being aware that it may exist on the new L3800 as well as the older L models.

Research is a good thing.

Sean

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #7  
Yes, my L3800 has the jerky 3pt problem. As others have said, if you try to nudge it up a bit at a time it bounces.

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #8  
I haven't used my 3 point much, but I did notice a jerkiness to it. Is there a way to fix that? Recall or is that just the way it is?

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #9  
I haven't used my 3 point much, but I did notice a jerkiness to it. Is there a way to fix that? Recall or is that just the way it is?

It's too bad you didn't see the "Saga of The L-Series 3 Point Hitch" on PBS before you bought... ;)

OK, enough of that, there are a couple of very long threads here devoted to the topic, without redesigning the tractor we've exhausted most if not all avenues.

Here's one of them:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/135167-my-quest-grand-3-point.html

In my personal opinion, I think the valve allows too much flow into the raise cylinder of the 3 point hitch, or the flow isn't damped enough. The feedback linkage shuts the flow off rather abruptly, which is what causes the bounce.

I've toyed with the idea of trying to install a restrictor in the line going to the 3 point valve, but came to the conclusion that it would simply cause the flow to go over the main relief valve, since the restriction needs to be after the valve, but before the cylinder. The valve only uses oil from the stream when the position lever is moved to "raise", so any restriction in front of it is pointless.

I think the current tractors, my '09 included, have the most advanced valve Kubota has come up with for the economy L-series. The early ones were worse from what I've seen. The fact the Grand L's don't have the same problem leads me to believe the problem is in the cylinder and internal linkage design, not the valve.

The only thing that's going to entirely cure it, in my opinion, is a re-design of that part of the system, and evidently Kubota didn't go that far with the L3200/L3800 from what we've seen here recently. I approached my dealer about it last year, they were of the opinion that some folks had complained about it, and that there was no real "fix" for the problem.

Sean

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #10  
This is the first I've read of this problem and I've noticed it with my 2010 L3700 with a load on it. It wasn't a harsh action but not as smooth as my B1700. I have the draft control turned back for a slower rise and fall.

Does the draft contol affect this problem? I haven't experimented with it yet since I only recently noticed it.

Not a problem but maybe an annoyance.