Buying Advice Fine Cut Deck or Standard Deck - BX series??

/ Fine Cut Deck or Standard Deck - BX series?? #1  

Falconjms

Tractor
Kubota BX25
I am looking at both the BX2360 and BX25. I want a MMM and want a mulching deck. The dealer says he never sells a fine cut deck but will order one if I want. How are they different. Do I have to get the fine cut deck if I want mulching?

If this has been discussed then point me to the right thread... I searched and did not find anything.

/ Fine Cut Deck or Standard Deck - BX series?? #2  
How nice is your yard? If its just average, standard MMM should be OK, but if its super duper yard, then fine cut. I have a 54 inch MMM on a BX 23 and as long as blades are sharp looks OK to me. I am thinking about gater blades, but without the baffels, to help cut up leaves.

/ Fine Cut Deck or Standard Deck - BX series??
Its not a super yard... not yet. May never get to be a super yard.

I bought it last summer and it was a foreclosure... been neglected for at least 2 years.

/ Fine Cut Deck or Standard Deck - BX series?? #4  
I've given up on my yard. It's a mess of dandelions, cinquefoil, clover, wild violets, crab grass, you name it. I just cut what grows anymore. I used to try to control it, but it just spreads again from my wife's neglected gardens so I gave up. (hope she doesn't read this LOL)

Ian

/ Fine Cut Deck or Standard Deck - BX series?? #5  
   / Fine Cut Deck or Standard Deck - BX series?? #6  
I just ordered a BX2360 last Thursday with a fine cut deck and mulcher kit.Apparently the deck is a bit deeper than the regular deck which is supposed to create more of a vacuum to pull the grass up.Whether or not it actually makes a difference is yet to be seen.I had a BX25 with a regular deck previously and was very happy with the quality of cut it gave.The fine cut deck was not a lot more money so I thought I would give it a try this time,I don't think the cut quality will be any worse for sure.:2cents:

/ Fine Cut Deck or Standard Deck - BX series?? #7  
I had a fine cut, mulching deck on a John Deere 425 and it was really bad to clog up unless the grass was very dry. I mow a lot when the grass is not ideal and spent a lot of time unclogging it.

/ Fine Cut Deck or Standard Deck - BX series?? #8  
my dealer says fine cut is not sold as often as reg deck. I have the regular cut deck and love it. Its not same as the ride on cheapos mowers where it blows everything to the side, but more of suspends grass more and cuts it more before being ejected.

/ Fine Cut Deck or Standard Deck - BX series?? #9  
I don't have anything to add for OP except regular 54 (BX23, takes BX22 deck) does just fine...

However, I've been reading on this for a couple of years and confusion reigns!

Looks like there have been, and still now are 54 finish, 54 fine, and 60 finish decks offered. (From various pictures I can tell 54 fine is a 'deeper' deck.) I'll go as far as to guess that the extra depth affects airflow, somehow creates more vacuum, stands the grass taller and thus cuts appear more uniform when the grass falls back into the relaxed position (kinda like the old days at the 'hand and scissors' barber). Now, I'll also guess these mulch kits affect airflow, as the theory seems to be that suspending the grass above the blade allows it more time to be cut over and over. So that leaves me wondering...

Do all 3 mowers offer mulch kits (for sure?)
Wouldn't a mulch kit, if offered, actually move or reduce the fine deck away from 'fine' mode (change the airflow such that the grass suspension is above rather then under the deck?) Kinda seems to me 'fine' and 'mulch' contradict each other both in theory and aesthetics.

Also - since there just might not be enough variables in this mix, how does the bagger fit all these combos - for those seasons when 'mulching' isn't appropiate (like coming home from vacation)? Would one remove all the mulch kit, or just remove a chute plug and hook up as normal?

And my own query - if I made little triangles that stored on my deck could I drive over it too?

Last edited:
   / Fine Cut Deck or Standard Deck - BX series??
kcender - thanks for your response... now I am curious as to why you went to a BX2360 from a BX25.