Buying Advice Gear shift vs. HST

/ Gear shift vs. HST #1  

jmpbuffalo

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC 2400
Ok, so far I'm just a wannabee tractor owner, but I notice most new tractors have hydrostatic transmissions. Kubota's 2320 is available with a gear shift transmission, however. Other than cost, is there any advantage to the gearshift? Is one or the other more durable/reliable? I've never owned an auto or truck with an automatic transmission, so manual shifting isn't a big deal to me.

Thanks,

Joe

/ Gear shift vs. HST #2  
On a tractor that size..I think you would like the HST more.Gear has a advantage for ground engagement(plows and disc's).All depends what you are going to do MOST OF THE TIME.If you are going to mow and do FEL work the HST would be better/safer.You lose a little horsepower with HST.My tractors have been HST and I do mostly ground engagement/snow removal.If new users are going to be on the tractor...HST is a lot easier.

/ Gear shift vs. HST #3  
Being one of the resident gear enthusiasts, I'd say try both transmissions and see which you prefer.
Most gear work, you select your operating gear (you don't shift up through the gears like a car or truck), set the throttle and start working. Other then shifting into reverse (for loader work as an example), there's no need to shift gears.
I've been using gear transmissions long enough that I can shift as quick as most folks can move their foot on an HST (I'm comparing this to Deere HST which is two pedals...Kubota has one treadle pedal, I believe).

I will add one caveat: I buy my tractors used (on my third) and I look specifically for a gear transmission. I wouldn't necessarily turn down an HST if I really liked the tractor otherwise (which indicates I'm getting soft in my old age!)

/ Gear shift vs. HST #4  
In theory,you lose some power with a hydro, but I can't imagine it would be enough to notice, especially on a compact like a 2320. Repairs would be cheaper on a gear transmission-if you ever need them. I have had two hydro tractors with over 1,000 hours on them without an issue-that isn't many hours for an ag tractor, but represents alot of use for the typical compact.

If your uses are like most of ours with a tractor of that size (lawn mowing, FEL work, assorted other implements around small acreage), I would definitly prefer a hydro. If I was planning field tillage work, mowing large fields, or working in the woods-I would have a geared tractor with a reverser-but it would also be 40-60 hp.

Will

/ Gear shift vs. HST #5  
Ok, so far I'm just a wannabee tractor owner, but I notice most new tractors have hydrostatic transmissions. Kubota's 2320 is available with a gear shift transmission, however. Other than cost, is there any advantage to the gearshift? Is one or the other more durable/reliable? I've never owned an auto or truck with an automatic transmission, so manual shifting isn't a big deal to me.

Thanks,

Joe

In my opinion, in that size tractor, I can really see no advantage unless you are going to do primarily ground engagement work with little to no FEL work. I operate HST as well as gear and don't have trouble with either, but for a SCUT/CUT, my preference is HST.

JOHNTHOMAS just bought a new gear B2320, but did not get a FEL, he has a LOT of experience with the smaller Kubotas and hopefully will come along with some sage advice. BPfick has a B2320 also and has experience with the BX and B.

Do a Search and you will have literally hours of reading on this subject.

Good luck.

/ Gear shift vs. HST #6  
Wow, there must be a hundred threads on here about gear Vs Hydro. And everyone has an opinion, and here is mine: If you are doing much loader work, or work very close to buildings or people, then I will let you in on a big secret, psst... hydro is best. if you dont want you left leg to fall off after 8 hours of loader work..... then hydro is best.. If you want to go slow one second, and fast the next... then hydro is best. And I am not kidding when I say, almost every time I use my tractor I think how glad I sold the gear tractor and got the hydro tractor. Did I mention hydro is best? If you are plowing a 40 acre field, then maybe gear is best.. I dunno. I never done that. but for me and what I do.. hydro is best.

James K0UA

/ Gear shift vs. HST #7  

Thanks,

Joe
Work hard or work smart. I prefer the HST. :)

/ Gear shift vs. HST #8  
I have been on here since around '98; the 2000 date in my sig is wrong. All the old timers defaulted to that date during one of the TBN upgrades.

This subject has come up sooooooooooo many times. Use the search function, and sit down for a few days of reading :D This has been discussed ad nauseum. It is a good thing to think about before spending the money on the wrong tractor for you.

For durability, after 13 years here, I have hardly heard of major issues with either style tranny. My local dealer sells MAssey and used, and spent years as a Kubota mechanic. He has not seen much in the way of HST issues.

There are a number of trannies out there. Even saying gear is misleading. There are various different "gear" transmissions.

The hard part is, it is partly a personal thing. I can drive either no problem. I tend towards HST though. My wife and son like it too; they help me with tractor work. My old "B" Kubota, and my current New Holland TC are both HST. For my five acres, and manuevering around trees, it works well.

I have driven shuttle shift and GST too; I like the GST on the L35's TLB's I have rented.

I have spent a little time on my neighbors Ford, a gear tractor. It worked well, but after 13 years on HST, I had a little time adjusting to working in a tight area and finessing it.

The best thing, is to read read read, then go try both. And as much as I like Kubota's, try the others too. I was really looking for an L3410 when I got a deal on my used NH TC40D. I'd own another Kubota; I got the NH partly because of what was available on the used market. Sure do like it though :D

/ Gear shift vs. HST #9  
It would a shame to be stuck with a tractor you don't like.
Hst are nice for most jobs, and they are much more simple
to operate but for real farm work, go with a gear.
If you go talk to a dealer they would be more than happy
to let you drive both. If that is not enough, rent one for a
day to be sure. Will cost some money but you will know.
Good luck.

/ Gear shift vs. HST #10  
I see you have less then an acre! I would think that a BX would almost be to big but it is the smallest tractor for multi attachments.

For what everyone has told you the hydro would be best for you!