Can you come help me mow

/ Can you come help me mow #1  

chucko

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx1800
I get a call for Sis and BIL who took on a mowing job that was too much for their mower and wanted me to come help with my bota. This is what I found when I got there.

Attachments

• IMAG0208.jpg
    IMAG0208.jpg
    775.8 KB · Views: 776
   / Can you come help me mow #2  
I wouldn't even want to do that with my BX without the rotary cutter. It will do it, but I sure hate to.

/ Can you come help me mow #3  
Looks like a lot of work for the mower operator, a lot of head turning, paying attention to where you are at, avoiding all those obsticles, type of job....

/ Can you come help me mow #4  
I agree, not a job for a mower, but more for a rotary cutter to knock it down first then maybe and that is just MAYBE run back over it with a mower. Even then the surplus growth will tax the belts on a mower, although some of the better ones will go thru it with no problems. I would probably attempt it with my Steiner 525 as it has plenty of power, good belt setup, and hydrostatic so I could creep into some of the thicker bunches without overloading the mowing deck. Still could be a problem with hidden items, that a rotary cutter would take in stride (and throw across the yard). Layering the cuts, first high and then lower when you can see might be a smart move, but requires double cutting.
If you have already done this, and didn't tear up anything, good job!!!
David from jax

/ Can you come help me mow
I gut with the deck set to "top" and it was really still too much. I will not be doing that again

/ Can you come help me mow #6  
I gut with the deck set to "top" and it was really still too much. I will not be doing that again

I wouldn't either. It amazes me what these BX's will cut, but that sure is pushing the envelope.

/ Can you come help me mow #7  
Agreed - rotary cutter...or as I called it growing up on the farm in KY... a bush hog. I have mowed many times through stuff like that with our old bush hog but not a finish mower. That would be slow going.

/ Can you come help me mow #8  
IMO that needs to be bush hogged one week, flail mown the next week or two, & then finished mown in another week or two.

/ Can you come help me mow #9  
You can bush hog/rotary cut that just fine. Just use the right tool at the right speed for the right job.

/ Can you come help me mow #10  
I get a call for Sis and BIL who took on a mowing job that was too much for their mower and wanted me to come help with my bota. This is what I found when I got there.
Should be done by now then. With the mmm you just need to go over the tall stuff twice.
larry