B7100 HST price - buy or no buy?

/ B7100 HST price - buy or no buy? #1  

ishiboo

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010HSTC, Cat 279c
Looked at a little B7100 4x4 today showing under 400 hours on the clock. No deck. There is a BEEFY subframe attached to a very large hydraulic plow with up/down and side/side cylinders. The plow itself is a Bolens and looks like it was welded to a Kubota subframe that's quite beefy.

The guy wants $3100 firm and there are several issues, besides the fact there is no deck:

1. Hard start. Would not start when cold (51 out today) without ether. Runs great when running. Starts again when hot. When you attempt to start it, it blows white smoke but won't start. A shot of ether and it's running well.

2. Small diesel weepage around the injector lines on the IP. I'm assuming this is either the lines themselves need to be tightened or it just needs new copper washers?

3. No idea whether or not the glow plugs work, but the indicator "wire" didn't get hot. I'm assuming no. This of course could be a contributor to #1, but I'd think a diesel with 400 hours should start without glow plugs when its 50 out.

4. The decompression lever is not hooked up, I realize that's for starting as well. I played with it and it seemed like the engine spun much faster but it still didn't catch without ether.

I tested everything I could - everything seems in working order. 4wd works well and the diff lock does as well. PTO engages fine with the PTO lever. 3-point lift can lift the arms no problem.

Any ideas? I need to make a decision by tomorrow. There are few Kubota's around here, let alone for that price, but I'm afraid I'm buying myself problems. $3100 seems like a fair price to me if those issues were started, but he will not come down and there are no like tractors around here. (Next one is 5 hours away and has a deck for $6000 and 4x the hours.)

/ B7100 HST price - buy or no buy? #2  
That would be a good price where I live in Michigan. My B7100 has never started (since new) without the glow plugs unless the engine is still very hot. My guess is that the glow plugs are not working.

/ B7100 HST price - buy or no buy? #3  
That price would be great for a B7100 in decent condition, but no way I'd buy it if he's been starting it with ether. As Travelover said, the glow plugs must not be working.

/ B7100 HST price - buy or no buy? #4  
Almost to good to be true,check Ebay or Tractor House for ball park asking price,plus some issues could nickle /dime you...whats your gut feeling saying.

/ B7100 HST price - buy or no buy? #5  
I had a B7100. It always required the glow plugs for a cold start regardless of the outside temperature. [3000 hours when traded]

Like Bird the ether part bothers me.:)

/ B7100 HST price - buy or no buy? #6  
I agree with Bird. There is no way I would buy that machine if their normal starting method is to shoot it with ether. Indirect injected engines should never be started with ether. The price is okay but not terrific. I sold a B7100HSD last year with a Kubota loader for $3500 with all new tires, hoses, seat, fresh paint, and too many other things to list here. The market here is pretty depressed I got several calls over the couple of months I had it listed, but only one guy actually came to look at it. It had 2400 hours on it but would start right up (with the glow plugs) and didn't smoke.

Brian

/ B7100 HST price - buy or no buy? #7  
Besides the ether, the hours may not be accurate. I can let my 7610 idle for hours and the clock barely moves.

/ B7100 HST price - buy or no buy? #8  
Besides the ether, the hours may not be accurate. I can let my 7610 idle for hours and the clock barely moves.

My B7100 has an electric hour meter. I'm always worried that I'll leave the key in the on position and run up the hours accidentally.

/ B7100 HST price - buy or no buy? #9  

As Travelover said, my B7100 hour meter was simply an electric clock, but my B2710 had the kind of hour meter that measured one hour in one hour only at PTO speed. If the engine was running slower, so was the hour meter and it sounds as if the 7610 has that kind, also.

/ B7100 HST price - buy or no buy? #10  
My B7800 since new has always required a few seconds of glow plug regardless of temperature. Ether is bad.